Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-26-2016, 09:01 AM   #1
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default American Gods (New For 2017)

I was just wondering if anyone else is looking forward to this series based on the book by Neil Gaiman. The trailer recently came out and it looks awesome:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1898069/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Gods

It stars Ricky Whittle, Ian McShane, Cloris Leachman, Crispon Glover, Gillian Anderson, Dane Cook, Emily Browning, among others.

For personal reason, I am looking forward to it because a location scout identified our home as a shooting location and over the spring and summer, we got to watch some of the production and host some of the actors in our home.

I will say this, Dane Cook, Ricky Whittle and Emily Browning are all really nice people I really enjoyed getting to know them a little. Really down to earth and genuine.
Old 07-26-2016, 09:13 AM   #2
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I know HBO was thinking about making this for years, but could never nail down a script that worked. Who's producing it now?
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 09:21 AM   #3
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudoreality View Post
I know HBO was thinking about making this for years, but could never nail down a script that worked. Who's producing it now?
Starz picked it up.
Old 07-26-2016, 09:43 AM   #4
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I'll be honest, despite thinking Neil Gaiman is a genius, I had a really tough time getting through the book. I think I got thru about the first 100 pages on two, maybe even 3 occasions, and then never finished.

Hopefully this gets picked up by TMN in canada.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 11:08 AM   #5
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought it was a super easy read. Very fun. This will be incredibly easy to screw up, though...
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 11:13 AM   #6
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I thought it was a super easy read. Very fun. This will be incredibly easy to screw up, though...
I think you misunderstood. I didn't have trouble actually reading it. It's not like I thought I was reading Hegel for a moment or anything.

It just didn't engage me.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 11:56 AM   #7
gottabekd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I've been curious about this show, so I read the book recently. I am a little unsure about how the series would be received. I think it is a little high-concept compared to a lot of mainstream TV, so I think for the show to do well it really has to impress its core fans.

Hannibal gained quite a cult following, which I think should help American Gods. There will be lots of opportunity for some great cinematography. If some of the same team behind Hannibal is involved, at the very least they should give us some cool, experimental stuff that rarely is seen on TV.

First look trailer:
gottabekd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 01:16 PM   #8
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I think you misunderstood. I didn't have trouble actually reading it. It's not like I thought I was reading Hegel for a moment or anything. It just didn't engage me.
Yeah I got you, I just disagree, I found it a page turner, pretty well written in standard Gaiman style and very much fun. I'd say people should read it before watching the show.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 07-26-2016, 01:59 PM   #9
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

They were really sweet with my baby as well. I know the film production company tells them to be nice to the townies and respectful, but I got the sense that they were just 2 guys who really love what they do.

Old 07-27-2016, 07:46 AM   #10
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

^ That is such a cool picture.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 08:23 AM   #11
Flames89
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I'll be honest, despite thinking Neil Gaiman is a genius, I had a really tough time getting through the book. I think I got thru about the first 100 pages on two, maybe even 3 occasions, and then never finished.

Hopefully this gets picked up by TMN in canada.
I was the exact same way. I think it would be better as a vacation book where you power through it, instead of pieces at a time before bed.
Flames89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 12:14 PM   #12
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

New trailer. Premieres on April 30th. I haven't read the book. I've been meaning to. I have read much of Gaiman's stuff but not this even though it sounds like something I'd enjoy.

SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2017, 01:33 PM   #13
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've read it. It's a good book with interesting themes, but it's not as engaging as some of his other work. That being said, I'd still heartily recommend it since a mediocre book from Gaiman is better than 99% of the fiction being produced today.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 07:20 PM   #14
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Saw the first episode tonight. I'm excited for this series.

The look was exceptional. I often thought of how they would manage to put this book to screen, and so far they've pulled it off really, really well. Sharp looking to say the least.

Ian McShane is perfect casting as Wednesday. I could maybe imagine a couple of other actors, but he's got the role down so well.

My wife was a little confused, but that's to be expected early on in a show that follows the book. I remember feeling confused early on reading this book, and it's because it jumps around a lot with little connecting these events, and not much being said about what's going on.

If you're feeling confused after the first episode, give it a few episodes before making a judgment. I remember after watching the first episode of Game of Thrones that I didn't think it was anything special, and after 3 or 4 episodes it won me over. This might end up being the same thing.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 07:43 PM   #15
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

In Canada, this will be on Amazon Prime. They have May 1 as the premiere date. I wonder what time they upload new content?
Old 04-30-2017, 07:50 PM   #16
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
In Canada, this will be on Amazon Prime. They have May 1 as the premiere date. I wonder what time they upload new content?
Nice!! Thanks for the info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
My wife was a little confused, but that's to be expected early on in a show that follows the book. I remember feeling confused early on reading this book, and it's because it jumps around a lot with little connecting these events, and not much being said about what's going on.
I don't think I ever stopped being confused reading the book, I'm hoping seeing it in TV format helps.
Old 04-30-2017, 11:18 PM   #17
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

It won't. I watched the episode as well. It's good, and Ian McShane is indeed awesome, but the medium just doesn't seem capable of containing it. It made me want to go read the book again. I'll obviously watch it as long as it's on but I have this feeling that it's going to be really hard for people who haven't read it to get into it. There's just so much coming at you, and all of it utterly bonkers.

Beautifully put together, though. The dream sequences are gorgeous.
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2017, 01:52 PM   #18
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Haven't read the book. Watched the first episode last night and wtf did I just watch?
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 02:00 PM   #19
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

See?
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2017, 02:22 PM   #20
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I got about 10 minutes into the show last night before I turned it off. Style wise I'm not a fan. I'll give it another go tonight.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote