Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-27-2009, 10:09 AM   #1
Wookie
Chick Magnet

Exp:
Default Bell Satellite Signal Vanished?

So I got back from camping on the weekend and I have no signal. The receiver to the dish is fine, but signal is gone completely. Nothing appears to have changed looking at the disk and giving a touch to the connections. Called Bell, went through the "procedures" which concluded with "sorry our warranty only covers three months" not 5 which has been how long I've had it.

My options are to pay someone $70 bucks to come over or figure it out myself.

Any suggestions?

Dish is on my balcony, wire goes down to second lever. Roof is probably at a 80 degree incline so there is no way I can go out there. But it looks in great shape from peering down.
Wookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 10:22 AM   #2
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Call 403 716-6060.

Shaw hehe

I can't believe Bell charges you to come and fix their equipment. That is ridiculous especially if you got one of their techs to initially install it.
Bertuzzied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 10:27 AM   #3
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

What model of receiver do you have? ie- is it an HD model?

The most common causes of complete loss of signal are either a bad connection, or no power to the switch.

If you have an SW44 switch (4 inputs, 4 outputs) check that first to see if it has power.

Assuming you have HD, have you checked both even and odd transpoders on both 82 and 91? Menu 6-1-1 then you will see the options to check both 82 and 91, as well as trying to switch the transponders.

As well, looking at your dish- does it look like it has moved? I'm also wondering if it wasn't bolted down tightly, and with the gusty wind we had Saturday it could have moved.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 11:10 AM   #4
Wookie
Chick Magnet

Exp:

What model of receiver do you have? ie- is it an HD model?
Not sure (will look up) but it's the newest HD one that accepts an external HDD to be hooked up as a PVR (DE24)

The most common causes of complete loss of signal are either a bad connection, or no power to the switch.
The switch gets power?

If you have an SW44 switch (4 inputs, 4 outputs) check that first to see if it has power.
Right now 2 going into 1 (not sure if there is capacity for more (I only use one receiver)

Assuming you have HD, have you checked both even and odd transponders on both 82 and 91? Menu 6-1-1 then you will see the options to check both 82 and 91, as well as trying to switch the transponders.
Yup, went through that on the phone with the Bell Rep

As well, looking at your dish- does it look like it has moved? I'm also wondering if it wasn't bolted down tightly, and with the gusty wind we had Saturday it could have moved.
Feels sturdy, doesn't appear to have moved
Old 07-27-2009, 11:33 AM   #5
Wookie
Chick Magnet

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertuzzied View Post
Call 403 716-6060.

Shaw hehe

I can't believe Bell charges you to come and fix their equipment. That is ridiculous especially if you got one of their techs to initially install it.
Lol, I called, bitched and they're going to reimburse me the charge.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wookie For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2009, 11:46 AM   #6
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookie View Post
]Right now 2 going into 1 (not sure if there is capacity for more (I only use one receiver)
OK, so it would appear that you are using an SW21 switch, and your receiver is a model 6141.

Next step for troubleshooting, take one of the "two" wires going into the switch, and connect it directly into the "one" on the other side of the switch. If you need to go to the dollar store to get a coupler, or if the wires are close enough to the receiver plug it directly into the receiver. See if you get signal. If not, then run a "check switch", and do a re-test.

Basically what we are testing here is if the switch is faulty.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 10:50 PM   #7
jschick88
Franchise Player

Exp:

My advice is to check the switch like Ken said. I basically had the same problem. My dish outside never moved but somehow I was getting 0% signal. I changed everything from my cable running from the dish to my receiver to checking my alignment. My last thing I did was buy a new SW21 switch and bang, problem fixed.
jschick88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 12:45 AM   #8
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I suppose Bell had you reset the receiver by unplugging it for a minute or so, right and your ran a 'check switch'. Otherwise it's either your cabling, your switch, your LNB, or your receiver. Sometimes water gets into the cable, LNB, or switch, and it corrodes. MY guess, the cables from the dish to the switch and the LNBs are okay, or else you'd still get at least one satellite. So it's likely the switch or the cable from the switch to the receiver.
Try what ken says and if it doesn't work, replace the cable or it's connections from the switch to the receiver.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 07:58 AM   #9
Wookie
Chick Magnet

Exp:

Okay, thanks for all the replies - I didn't get to the switch checking yet I wasn't home until late last night, however, when I got home there was this high pitched noise the GF was complaining about for a day or so. So I crawled around on the floor turning off devices that I thought it could be (xbox, xbox, etc) the sat receiver was off, and so was everything else, but the high pitched noise was still going. So I put my ear by the receiver and that's where it was coming from (WTF) put my hand on it and it was scorching hot. I unplugged it and the awful noise stopped. Now I'm wondering if that was what the problem is... Weird thing.. the noise was really high pitched, I could barely hear it, she could, and so could my sister, a few dog jokes ensued.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:30 AM   #10
Wookie
Chick Magnet

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
OK, so it would appear that you are using an SW21 switch, and your receiver is a model 6141.

Next step for troubleshooting, take one of the "two" wires going into the switch, and connect it directly into the "one" on the other side of the switch. If you need to go to the dollar store to get a coupler, or if the wires are close enough to the receiver plug it directly into the receiver. See if you get signal. If not, then run a "check switch", and do a re-test.

Basically what we are testing here is if the switch is faulty.
Oh
its a 6131
Old 07-28-2009, 09:36 AM   #11
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Huh, for all the complaints I have about shaw whenever I have a problem that can't be fixed over the phone they send a tech.

I know that doesn't really help you but it sounds like you managed to get them to send someone for free.

Last edited by Boblobla; 07-28-2009 at 09:40 AM.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 06:59 PM   #12
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Oh
its a 6131
Ya, they rent the 41 and sell the 31.

at any rate. phone them back. ask to talk to the tech 3 level and let them know what happened. you have a year warranty, if you bought it, so they should exchange it with no worries.

again, make sure you talk to tech 3. these guys are the knowledgeable and don't troubleshoot by a script.
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to csnarpy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2009, 07:14 PM   #13
Wookie
Chick Magnet

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnarpy View Post
Ya, they rent the 41 and sell the 31.

at any rate. phone them back. ask to talk to the tech 3 level and let them know what happened. you have a year warranty, if you bought it, so they should exchange it with no worries.

again, make sure you talk to tech 3. these guys are the knowledgeable and don't troubleshoot by a script.
Cool - thanks. Wondered what the warranty was, assumed it was a year. I called the service people, told them the update on my receiver making sounds and being really warm. The guy visiting will now know to look at that as well.

I'll let him test the switch tomorrow. Then I'll figure the rest out and call the level three tech people.

thanks everyone
Old 07-31-2009, 03:10 PM   #14
Wookie
Chick Magnet

Exp:

So...

Inside the dish, on the cables that feed the LNB, one of the connectors wasn't cut properly and a tiny single strand of wire was curled out and touching the little pin in the middle of the screw end.

That is all.. back up and running. I would have never found that.
Old 07-31-2009, 04:33 PM   #15
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So...

Inside the dish, on the cables that feed the LNB, one of the connectors wasn't cut properly and a tiny single strand of wire was curled out and touching the little pin in the middle of the screw end.

Good to hear and I guess my guess of it being the switch or the cable from the switch to the receiver was 100% wrong.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 01:01 PM   #16
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
So...

So, in the end, it was their fault. Glad you didn't have to pay.
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote