Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-29-2017, 10:51 AM   #121
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
In general, sure. Specific to Anaheim, I don't see it. Not unless the Ducks can buy out Bieksa before the expansion draft. Because we sure as hell aren't going to trade Bennett for one of Anaheim's good defenders, only to have to expose them to Vegas. So no move of this type is even within the realm of possibility until the start of July.
I dont't even think that is an option for them. He is on one of those 35+ contracts so even if they buy him out he will still count as 4M towards their cap next year.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 10:55 AM   #122
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

The buy out would be more to create a protection spot for all of Fowler, Vatanen and Lindholm. At present, the Ducks have to expose one of those guys because of Bieksa's NMC.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 10:55 AM   #123
Par
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild GM View Post
That is incorrect when it comes to RFAs.
UFAs are UFAs so of course they can sign wherever they want.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Vegas can sign unsigned unprotected RFA's. Unlike an offer sheet they can't be matched.

Counts as their selection.

Thanks guys, I thought it was both for UFA's and RFA's.
Par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 10:59 AM   #124
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
The buy out would be more to create a protection spot for all of Fowler, Vatanen and Lindholm. At present, the Ducks have to expose one of those guys because of Bieksa's NMC.
Manson is still exposed under this scenario which is why many are speculating the Ducks will move Vatanen before the expansion draft. Bieksa will waive or be bought out, Manson, Fowler, Lindholm are protected.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 11:06 AM   #125
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I would love to have Manson on the flames blueline.

The element that he brings in buckets is severely lacking in the Flames organization.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 11:11 AM   #126
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can't imagine that Bieksa won't waive. Very unlikely that Vegas will pick a 35 year old overpaid guy with one year left on his contract.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 11:15 AM   #127
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Dude, he's 11 years older than Sam and makes $8.25m till he's 36.

Not a chance.
I probably should've made that green text but that contract seems super manageable. Getzlaf is paid $8.25m because he's one of the best players in the NHL and will probably continue to be so for that whole contract. His comparables like Toews and Kopitar make $10m. We'd definitely have to add to Bennett to get him, since Getzlaf is Sam's ceiling.

I don't advocate trading with the Ducks though because you know it would bite the Flames in the ass.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 11:33 AM   #128
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
I would love to have Manson on the flames blueline.

The element that he brings in buckets is severely lacking in the Flames organization.
He's as untouchable as it gets in Anaheim
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 11:40 AM   #129
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
I love how we always get weird valuations flying all over the place in the off season.

Here's mine... we have seen a few assets immediately flipped in the recent past, like in the situation with Martin Jones. Dallas is clearly the best trading partner for Anaheim, but Anaheim is higher on Bennett. Ok. So, if Anaheim throws a top D at Dallas, would a return to Calgary of 3rd overall and the rights to Nichushkin be enough? Both assets would be expansion draft ineligible.
Rather have Bennett
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2017, 12:15 PM   #130
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just want to add that Pinder said this morning when they were discussing this that it would take Bennett+ to land Vatanen. I almost spit out my coffee when he said that.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2017, 12:21 PM   #131
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I just want to add that Pinder said this morning when they were discussing this that it would take Bennett+ to land Vatanen. I almost spit out my coffee when he said that.
could get more intellectual insight about hockey from listening to my dog
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Love For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2017, 12:35 PM   #132
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Vatanen is a much more valuable commodity than bennett.

He plays more minutes per night, he produces at roughly the same pace even though he's a defender. He's been a key component of a contender (a team that has faltered when he is not in the lineup). Is under contract for less than 5m, with the most productive years in his immediate future.

He is the ducks equivalent to TJ Brodie.

Would you move TJ Brodie for Tomas Tatar or Nino Niedereiter?
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 12:49 PM   #133
Lord Carnage
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Vatanen is a much more valuable commodity than Bennett.

He plays more minutes per night, he produces at roughly the same pace even though he's a defender. He's been a key component of a contender (a team that has faltered when he is not in the lineup). Is under contract for less than 5m, with the most productive years in his immediate future.

That's not quite the right question... "Would you move TJ Brodie for Tatar or Niederreiter if we were about to lose him for nothing in an expansion draft" would be more accurate.

Yes, there will be others looking at getting Vatanen, but nobody is lining up to overpay for him... It will be some kind of discount due to the position the Ducks are in - Murray's job is trying to minimize the discount they have to take.
Lord Carnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 12:50 PM   #134
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Is that you Pinder?
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2017, 12:51 PM   #135
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Poor comparisons. Tatar and Nino are 24-25 year olds not 21. Vatanen is 25 and a good player but obviously one the Ducks will likely move over 3 other defenders on their roster. He turns 26 on the weekend.

Bennett is also a centre and you compare him to wingers but finding centre comparisons is difficult.

Using the Brodie example I would sat Drouin is a good comparable. A high draft pick taken 5 years later (Brodie 08, Vatanen 09, Drouin 13, Bennett 14). If the Flames had a top 3 of Lindholm, Fowler, Manson as well as Montour and Theodore in the system I easily move Brodie for Drouin. Considering we have only 2 Dmen ahead of Brodie and literally one guy signed below him next year the Flames simply can't afford to move a Dman in our top 3
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2017, 12:54 PM   #136
TheoFleury
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Vatanen is pretty overrated, and not on the tier of Brodie, Lindholm or Fowler IMO. I think a pair of 2nds would be enough to land him, this talk of Bennett is crazy.
TheoFleury is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheoFleury For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2017, 12:54 PM   #137
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

What a horrendous comparison. Tatar and Niedereiter are years older and arguably have become what they are.

Bennett certainly has not. Vatanen is a fine player, but not one that I move someone with Bennett's potential for. Particularly considering the injury and expansion situation. If the ducks are thinking Bennett plus, they're laughed off the phone followed by a Burke rumour quashing and intelligence insult.
Major Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 01:12 PM   #138
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Neither is a centre, unlike Bennett.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 01:23 PM   #139
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
God that's disgusting
Beninho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 01:27 PM   #140
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Ducks have some great D prospects I would take over Vatanen-Theodore, Larsson, and Montour. Not that they would trade any of them....
Still wouldn't give them Bennett though....
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote