Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Donald Trump's first 100 days have been a success.
Agree 45 11.00%
Not sure 22 5.38%
Disagree 342 83.62%
Voters: 409. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 01:44 PM   #8201
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

fake news

Last edited by DuffMan; 08-18-2017 at 01:50 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to DuffMan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2017, 01:48 PM   #8202
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

No chaos. No chaos. You're the chaos!
The Following User Says Thank You to ernie For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2017, 01:50 PM   #8203
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Hopefully this all doesn't disappear quickly and get washed out by the hyperspeed news cycle because unless this helps some seats turn blue in 2018 it doesn't mean much.
The Following User Says Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2017, 01:54 PM   #8204
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's awesome I have never seen an actual tar and feathering.

Where do you get the supplies? Bust open some pillows?
Old 08-18-2017, 01:57 PM   #8205
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
Hopefully this all doesn't disappear quickly and get washed out by the hyperspeed news cycle because unless this helps some seats turn blue in 2018 it doesn't mean much.
True. The "nice" thing is that this has given the media and democrat a different significant thing to go after and the Russia story has been pushed to the sidelines a bit. I imagine that will come back into the forefront again in a hurry.

But yes things need to turn blue and it worries me when only 55% of americans disapprove how he handled the supremacists this past week. A stunning 76% or republicans support him in this! Now that shows how deeply ingrained rah rah team politics is and/or how little people pay attention.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ernie For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2017, 02:05 PM   #8206
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie View Post
True. The "nice" thing is that this has given the media and democrat a different significant thing to go after and the Russia story has been pushed to the sidelines a bit. I imagine that will come back into the forefront again in a hurry.

But yes things need to turn blue and it worries me when only 55% of americans disapprove how he handled the supremacists this past week. A stunning 76% or republicans support him in this! Now that shows how deeply ingrained rah rah team politics is and/or how little people pay attention.
It also shows that "White America" and the "right" of white people to be held and treated above minorities is more engrained and important in the United States than a lot of Americans try to brush it off as.

The amount of people who cheer it and promote it loudly and publicly is minuscule compared to the millions upon millions who quietly believe it in their hearts and minds.

Last edited by jayswin; 08-18-2017 at 02:07 PM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2017, 02:05 PM   #8207
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Everything manages to...
Quote:
David Frum‏ @davidfrum

Admit it: you've already forgotten that not even 3 weeks ago, Trump urged police to crack suspects' heads on hoods of squad cars.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 08-18-2017, 02:10 PM   #8208
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
That's awesome I have never seen an actual tar and feathering.

Where do you get the supplies? Bust open some pillows?
roofing supply shop followed by winners
Old 08-18-2017, 02:15 PM   #8209
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
headline on CNN right now,

And that's a wrap on Infrastructure Week.

He's also burying his agenda, with his morondacity (yes, I made that up).
Old 08-18-2017, 02:21 PM   #8210
PostandIn
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
headline on CNN right now,

And that's a wrap on Infrastructure Week.

He's also burying his agenda, with his morondacity (yes, I made that up).
Well, given the number of posts where you've used the word I'll posit that you are an expert on morondacity by now
Old 08-18-2017, 02:25 PM   #8211
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
I'm actually surprised how cartoon like a real life tar and feathering looks.
Also how much it would suck to actually get tarred and feathered. It's regarded as a kind of joke, but it must have been brutal.

Spoiler!

Spoiler!
Old 08-18-2017, 02:40 PM   #8212
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some big-name charities have now cancelled events at Mar-a-Lago. So much winning!

http://money.cnn.com/2017/08/18/news...ers/index.html

Quote:
The American Red Cross, The Salvation Army and Susan G. Komen foundation all said Friday they're canceling events at Trump's Palm Beach property Mar-a-Lago. That comes after three organizations made similar announcements on Thursday.

The cancellations follow the spectacular implosion of Trump's business councils this week over the president's insistence that counter-protesters shared the blame for violence at a white supremacist rally in Charlottesville, Virginia.
Quote:
"The American Red Cross has decided we cannot host our annual fundraising event at Mar-a-Lago, as it has increasingly become a source of controversy and pain for many of our volunteers, employees and supporters," the organization said in a statement.

The Red Cross said it "provides assistance without discrimination to all people in need, regardless of nationality, race, religious beliefs, or political opinions, and we must be clear and unequivocal in our defense of that principle."
Quote:
One more philanthropic event could be on its way out. The president of Leaders in Furthering Education on Friday urged the board of her charity to abandon Mar-a-Lago for the organization's annual Lady in Red Gala, slated for December 2.

"The hatred, vitriol and anti-semitic and racist views being spewed by neo-Nazis and white supremacists are repugnant and repulsive -- and they are antithetical to everything that this country, and I personally stand for," LIFE President Lois Pope said in a statement. "And anyone who would demonstrate even a modicum of support for them by insisting that there are 'good people' among them is not deserving of my personal patronage or that of my foundations."
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2017, 02:53 PM   #8213
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PostandIn View Post
Well, given the number of posts where you've used the word I'll posit that you are an expert on morondacity by now
an expert on diagnosing in others, yes.
Old 08-18-2017, 03:01 PM   #8214
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

A local discussion on the fact that there's still no US ambassador in Finland lead to me pondering, does Trump even have friends?

One of the weird stories buried under all the other chaos is that Trump still hasn't named almost any new ambassadors after he fired Obamas people. This leaves all of Western Europe (yes, including places like Germany, France, Italy, Spain, UK) without a US ambassador, plus of course a lot of other interesting countries (India, Australia, Canada, Saudi-Arabia, South Korea... China only got theirs in May). Heck, places like OECD and NATO don't currently have an appointed US ambassador.

It's not purely coincidental that Obamas people were mostly in the nice, peaceful western countries, because those are the typical trophy positions a president hands out to his supporters, friends and allies. That made me think.

Why are Trumps supporters, allies and friends not asking for those trophy jobs? I can understand that he would just forget about those things, or just not care, but surely if he had people around him who expected to get those seats after the election, or friends who would just like them, they'd go and ask him?

I mean, being the ambassador of a place like Belgium or Portugal or Sweden is a pretty sweet gig. Peaceful, generally uneventful jobs, good pay, good opportunity to build connections in the local business world. If you've got ambition then places like Germany or France are great places to build business contacts. If you really want a total trophy job, you could ask for something like San Marino. Unlike jobs in the White House, those ambassador gigs don't even come with a similar burden of being seen as a "supporter". I doubt many people in the US could name the previous US ambassador to, say, Netherlands or Bahamas.

Or is the White House really so incompetent now that they just can't get the normal "I scratch your back" part done?

Last edited by Itse; 08-18-2017 at 03:22 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2017, 03:04 PM   #8215
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
A local discussion on the fact that there's still no US ambassador in Finland lead to me pondering, does Trump even have friends?

One of the weird stories buried under all the other chaos is that Trump still hasn't named almost any new ambassadors after he fired Obamas people. This leaves all of Western Europe (yes, including places like Germany, France, Italy, Spain, UK) without a US ambassador, plus of course a lot of other interesting countries (India, Australia, Canada, Saudi-Arabia, South Korea... China only got theirs in May). Heck, places like OECD and NATO don't currently have an appointed US ambassador.

It's not purely coincidental that Obamas people were mostly in the nice, peaceful western countries, because those are the typical trophy positions a president hands out to his supporters, friends and allies. That made me think.

Why are Trumps supporters, allies and friends asking for those trophy jobs? I can understand that he would just forget about these things or just not care, but surely if he had people who expected to get those seats, or people who just would like to get them, they'd go and ask him?

I mean, being the ambassador of a place like Belgium or Portugal or Sweden is a pretty sweet gig. Peaceful, generally uneventful jobs, good pay, good opportunity to build connections in the local business world. If you've got ambition then places like Germany or France are great places to build business contacts. If you really want a total trophy job, you could ask for something like San Marino. Unlike jobs in the White House, those ambassador gigs don't even come with a similar burden of being seen as a "supporter". I doubt many people in the US could name the previous US ambassador to, say, Netherlands or Bahamas.

Or is the White House really so incompetent now that they just can't get the normal "I scratch your back" part done?
This is a White House that didn't realise it had to hire White House staff, so utterly incompetent the Obama administration had to hold their hand through the transition and explain to them, like a parent to a toddler, that they had to actually hire every single person that worked in the white house short of the secret service personal.

My money is always going to be on gross incompetance
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2017, 03:06 PM   #8216
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
I'd imagine the list of people who:
  • Are loyal to Trump
  • Trump trusts
  • Have the temperament to be an ambassador

...is vanishingly small.
Old 08-18-2017, 03:08 PM   #8217
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

maybe they haven't filled the position that is supposed to fill those positions yet.
Old 08-18-2017, 03:14 PM   #8218
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

More bailing on Trump. This time with the Commerce Dept.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/0...nations-241791
Old 08-18-2017, 03:18 PM   #8219
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

strangely enough, Newt Gingrich had an article on Fox in regards to how Trump was way more isolated than he realizes, which is true, and on Fox, which is why I say strangely enough.
But anyways, yes, it's a mass bailing on this President in progress at the moment. The more that do it, the easier it will be for others too.
Old 08-18-2017, 03:22 PM   #8220
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
It also shows that "White America" and the "right" of white people to be held and treated above minorities is more engrained and important in the United States than a lot of Americans try to brush it off as.

The amount of people who cheer it and promote it loudly and publicly is minuscule compared to the millions upon millions who quietly believe it in their hearts and minds.
Absolutely. I said as much earlier in the thread when it was being made to seem like this belief set belongs to a small number of people. The very vocal that marched are small number. Much larger are the ones with confederate flag bumper stickers, or flags themselves on vehicles, tatoos, flags in garages...the publicly quiet (or passive aggressive) and much larger still are the ones who indeed hold that belief very quietly in hearts and minds.

It's a large segment of the population that believes they are better than others because they are the correct color and religion. And I bet you almost anything that the large majority in all three of those categories consider themselves evangelical Christians.
Closed Thread

Tags
america first=loss , healthcare=loss , so much winning... , thats damn good covfefe , there will be tweetstorms