Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Chris Butler; Sign him or let him walk?
Sign him for reasonable money 248 66.31%
Let him walk 126 33.69%
Voters: 374. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-27-2014, 05:37 PM   #81
puckluck2
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Walk.
puckluck2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 07:07 PM   #82
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
Butler currently makes 1.7M. You're saying that 2.0M is too much but 1.5M or less is reasonable?
Yes, because he is not worth his current salary.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 07:13 PM   #83
puckluck2
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I wouldn't want Butler at $1. We aren't close to the cap and we aren't paying his salary so who cares how much he makes. Time to go Butler.
puckluck2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 07:18 PM   #84
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's a very average NHL defenceman, so he's still an asset. We don't give assets away, so sign him. If something comes along that's better, well he's probably worth a 3rd round draft pick.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 07:24 PM   #85
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Give him a 1 year at a slight raise IMO. In the case that he's not flipped at the deadline, Wotherspoon will be close to ready to take his place anyway.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:26 PM   #86
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
He's a very average NHL defenceman, so he's still an asset. We don't give assets away, so sign him. If something comes along that's better, well he's probably worth a 3rd round draft pick.
Boston got Meszaros for a 3rd. Butler is not worth a 3rd.
Frank MetaMusil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 07:36 PM   #87
BigRed
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank MetaMusil View Post
Boston got Meszaros for a 3rd. Butler is not worth a 3rd.

Not really comparable. Philly had been desperate to dump his salary for a year or more.

Not saying Butler is worth as much as even a tarnished Mezsaros, but in a hockey trade, a 3rd is about right.
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 07:47 PM   #88
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed View Post
Not really comparable. Philly had been desperate to dump his salary for a year or more.

Not saying Butler is worth as much as even a tarnished Mezsaros, but in a hockey trade, a 3rd is about right.
I'd say signing Streit to a 4 year deal at 5.25 was probably the bigger reason to trade Meszaros. Plus they retained 2m in salary on that deal.

Anyway, I doubt the Flames will regret letting Butler test free agency. The comparable with Meszaros is that he's not really a top 4 guy either, yet he's miles better than Butler is. I suppose it's a conditional 3rd, but I just can't agree.

Last edited by Frank MetaMusil; 03-27-2014 at 08:00 PM.
Frank MetaMusil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 07:55 PM   #89
FlameZilla
First Line Centre

Exp:

Let's see how things pan out after college free agent season and the draft. I think there could be some trades in the works there and I'm hoping Burke finds a new home for Wideman. Our depth at D could very quickly become very thin.

As it stands now, sign him this summer as a 5/6/7 defenceman & hope that Wotherspoon outplays him in camp and makes him expendable. Butler has been ok this season. Why Brent Sutter played him so much for his first 2 seasons is anyone's guess, but he's a capable player if he's playing safer minutes against easier opposition.
FlameZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:10 PM   #90
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
. . . . However, my view is only re-sign if they are unable to acquire an upgrade in FA.

. . . . signing a bigger, more physical defenseman would be a better option IMO.
This is my feeling.

Regardless of whether Butler has been better or not, or is a good enough 5/6 or not, IMO the Flames are not nearly big enough on the blue line and need to use some of their excess cap space to find a big, punishing, shut-down defenseman.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:16 PM   #91
TheChief
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I wouldn't mind paying a bit extra for a guy like niskanen on a 2-3 year deal. Has played good this year and would be good in our top 4. Butler is good as a 6th d as he can play in the top 4 in a pinch.

Most posters have a hate on when he was playing in the top 4 every night under sutter which he didnt thrive in at the least.
TheChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:24 PM   #92
sun
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Not a huge fan of Butler, even though I'm rooting for him and he's played better as of late.

Would prefer to fill his spot with someone from outside the organization. If that's not possible, re-sign him and don't play him on the top pairing like sutter did.
sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:28 PM   #93
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Look for a better option in the UFA market. Not sure why everyone is in a hurry to sign him when there will be better options available. If Butler is the best UFA available and wants to play in Calgary, then sign him.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fire For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2014, 11:05 PM   #94
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
We're not bad at that either actually
Blocked shots don't register as shots against though, from my understanding. I also think Chief was alluding to the fact that when Butler is on the ice, the Flames seem to get more shots against than when the other two pairings are on the ice (I haven't checked - just expanding on what I THINK Chief was getting at).

As for re-signing Butler or not - he is just a stop-gap. If the Flames can find someone better through UFA/trade, let him walk. If they win the lottery and are able to draft Ekblad, let him walk. Unless one of those two things happen, they are probably better off re-signing him to a short-term contract and flipping him as soon as someone else is able to over-take him on the team.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 11:07 PM   #95
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
Look for a better option in the UFA market. Not sure why everyone is in a hurry to sign him when there will be better options available. If Butler is the best UFA available and wants to play in Calgary, then sign him.
Only players who would interest me are Meszaros, Niskanen, or Nikitin. Niskanen will cost the most since it looks like he could be a #3 1st/2nd PP guy but that's just moving to a different version or Wideman.

I've mentioned this before but I'm curious what it would cost to add McQuaid to our lineup from Boston.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 11:48 PM   #96
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

He is a turnover factory. Let him walk

Last edited by DoubleK; 03-27-2014 at 11:50 PM.
DoubleK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 11:53 PM   #97
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

I honestly think it wouldn't affect the Flames one way or another. Butler is the king of average; however, he is the perfect goat for some games. What can I say he preforms that job very well.

Butler's play has improved lately, but I don't see Butler turning into a consistent top 4 d-men, so the only reason I see for people to want to keep him is to somehow justify the Regher trade.

D-man like Butler are easy to replace, so one way or another the Flames will be the same team.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gvitaly For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2014, 12:50 AM   #98
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

Butler has improved tremendously lately, but agree his impact on the team is simply no longer a massive liability as he was. Walk.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 12:55 AM   #99
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2014, 01:15 AM   #100
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
Came for neutral response. Left satisfied.
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Party Elephant For This Useful Post: