Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-16-2005, 07:54 PM   #41
KevanGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

OK guys, lets hold off on the questions for a bit so Ken can catch up. Thanks.
Old 02-16-2005, 07:55 PM   #42
kinger
Draft Pick

players did look at books and had no argument with our numbers. Most apologise when trust issue is brought up and assure us they weren't talking about Flames owners. On Dowbiggen, he has a bias but declares it. He is mostly objective but clearly doesn"t like Gary.
Old 02-16-2005, 07:56 PM   #43
kinger
Draft Pick

Thanks, Kris, for the breather request. I really am a dork on the tech front trying to keep up with you guys. KK
Old 02-16-2005, 07:56 PM   #44
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Were the Flames close to having a contract signed for Iginla. Had a deal come about at the last second, and the season been slated to start for say March 1st. Would Jarome Iginla have been in the opening lineup for the Flames? If a deal is struck in time for training camp to open on schedule on September will the Flames have Jarome Iginla in camp?
Old 02-16-2005, 07:57 PM   #45
Claeren
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has their been any consideration given to keeping the upper-nose bleeds open when hockey starts back? Maybe as a super-cheap post-secondary student section?

Would be loud, and would keep hockey blood in the veins of people making the transition from being kids (and fans) to adults with enough money to be value added fans... ?

Claeren.

EDIT - opps! Just saw the request to not post.... sorry...
Old 02-16-2005, 07:58 PM   #46
kinger
Draft Pick

on prices, I expect we will hold the line for one or even two years for existing season ticket holders that keep the faith. Possible no increase at all if we get the right deal. KK
Old 02-16-2005, 07:58 PM   #47
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Thanks for being so open to the fans Ken!

You have been a great addition to the team.

I am fully behind the ownership in this dispute. I find it very appalling that the players are following the leadership of the PA so blindly. I keep trying to convince myself that they cant be this bull headed and greedy but was proven wrong again today.

You have my full support to continue to work toward a deal that allows all teams to be healthy and competitive.

I would fully support the league opening up with replacement players if it comes to that. I will be there in line as soon as the Flames open up for business again. Its about the laundry, not the nametags on the backs.

Here is to many more years of Flames hockey in the Dome.
Old 02-16-2005, 07:58 PM   #48
Beerfund
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

As a season ticket holder 2 years running - my take is this:
I've received good value IMO from my tickets. The whole cancellation of the season is very disappointing.
First: I would like to see the owners get together on some sort of revenue sharing program - this could be done independantly of the PA. Perhaps that is addressed indirectly via a luxury tax situation.
Next: I believe the current problem was created in part by owners competing with eachother to see who can sign the biggest cheques ie. the Wall Mart Twins.
Third: In theory, I think a partnership with players and Owners is a better situation than the status quo. If that happens the game will get stronger. I don't see how a cap at 43+M would help out the struggling teams.
Forth: I will be back as a season ticket holder - I have cancelled my tickets untill the labour dispute is settled. Based on the simple principle that no-one gives my business an interest free loan, so I'm not about to give one to the Flames. On the same note - I'll be first in line to get tickets once this mess is cleaned up
Finally - thanks for taking the time - it is much appreciated, I've spoken with you on a couple occassions and your efforts to reach the common fan are very much appreciated
Old 02-16-2005, 08:00 PM   #49
speeds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ken, I'm an Oilers fan, but I'm hoping you'll answer my question anyways, and I think it applies for CAL as much as it does for EDM.

How does a 42 mil cap help the Flames without significant revenue sharing? Yes, you can afford a higher quality player per dollar spent, and that should theoretically help the Flames to be more competitive on the ice. but it remeains that 14 teams miss the playoffs, and 16 teams makes the playoffs. Over the long haul you might well beat those odds with superior management, but it's not like CAL could plan their business around making the playoffs just because you are theoretically more competitive with all 30 teams between 32 and 42 mil. Today Mr. Bettman seemed to imply that they will only revenue share as little as possible to get teams up to the cap, depending upon the deal, throwing out numbers like 90 and 100 mil. Under the NHLPA's DEC 9th proposal (which I have heard/read/assumed was based upon the league prepared URO's) the Flames received 4.7 mil in revenue sharing (the Oilers nothing). Is that enough to make a go of it for CAL at a 42 mil cap, assuming no exorbitant playoff revenues (which it sounds like CAL would be sharing - to some extent - in the future anyways?

EDM said in their press conference that they more or less thought their revenues with regards to suites and gate receipts are maxed out, I'm not sure if you believe that to be true for CAL as well. If you do believe that those revenues are maxed out as the Oilers do, how does the NHL proposal work for the Flames?

Does it rely upon the Flames "beating the odds" of making hte playoffs? Does it rely on ticket price increases?

Thanks for any help!
Old 02-16-2005, 08:00 PM   #50
kinger
Draft Pick

nose bleeds are a tough question. could be like a cfl tv blackout thing where if the building is sold out then we open them up. We learned a valuable lesson about rush seats. You guys love them. buy what you can get hands on and then all sit together. KK
Old 02-16-2005, 08:01 PM   #51
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

A few comments:

First off this is Ken King, I made an assumption that he wasn't as well (can't be too careful and you'd hate to see someone passing themselves off as someone else), but yes he checks out.

Ken:

If you want to directly answer a question posted in this string just hit the "QUOTE" button within the message box that you are trying to answer. It's in the top right corner. It adds the original comments/question to your reply and makes it more clear.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for stopping by.

McGrath
Old 02-16-2005, 08:03 PM   #52
jschick88
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally posted by kinger@Feb 17 2005, 03:00 AM
nose bleeds are a tough question. could be like a cfl tv blackout thing where if the building is sold out then we open them up. We learned a valuable lesson about rush seats. You guys love them. buy what you can get hands on and then all sit together. KK
lol, great point kk. As I worked up in the sportcheck zone for the playoffs last year and I can't stress enough what a great thing that was. It was something I will never forget!!!
Old 02-16-2005, 08:04 PM   #53
Ace
First Line Centre

Exp:

I want to have a team that has the same chance as any other to win the cup. Stick with it, don't let the lame owners in T.O. try and get a deal that will only work for the Big Spenders. Support for hockey in calgary will be fine, and I doubt you'll lose the momentum from the playoffs even if it does take another year. I really feel that if the owners from around the league started making statements about lower ticket prices, you'll have the PR battle won, hook line and....

As for questions, I have 2:

Have any players mentioned these message boards? (Do they pay attention to them)

If the NHL gets the right deal wouldn't it mean that all buildings could operate at capacity as each market would be able to set ticket prices based on supply and demmand (and not have to worry about getting enough funds to offset losses?)

Thanks Ken
Old 02-16-2005, 08:04 PM   #54
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

I have a question ...

Do members of the Flames ownership find it personally insulting when a Calgary player steps up to the microphone and says derogatory things about the NHL side in this negotiation?

Be it creative accounting / cooking the books / they have to give too / we've given all we can / they don't mind a free market when it comes to beer sales?

With the Flames group running this team basically like a non profit organization for 25 year you'd think that would come as a slap in the face.
Old 02-16-2005, 08:04 PM   #55
kinger
Draft Pick

beerfund, understand cancelling tickets until resolution, hope you keep rights to specific seats. We don't need to keep the money for cash flow but more importantly need to keep contact when we start again. KK
Old 02-16-2005, 08:06 PM   #56
kinger
Draft Pick

Bingo, earlier I mentioned that most of our guys don't challenge our numbers but you'r right about the slap feeling when it is done generically and our owners think it's about them. KK
Old 02-16-2005, 08:07 PM   #57
kinger
Draft Pick

players are very intuned to message boards and care very much, and are likley more tech savvy than us. KK
Old 02-16-2005, 08:09 PM   #58
kinger
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally posted by Bingo@Feb 16 2005, 08:01 PM
A few comments:

First off this is Ken King, I made an assumption that he wasn't as well (can't be too careful and you'd hate to see someone passing themselves off as someone else), but yes he checks out.

Ken:

If you want to directly answer a question posted in this string just hit the "QUOTE" button within the message box that you are trying to answer. It's in the top right corner. It adds the original comments/question to your reply and makes it more clear.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for stopping by.

McGrath
thanks. I needed that. KK
Old 02-16-2005, 08:09 PM   #59
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Ken,

It was asked in a message above, but I will repeat it.

Do you know whether any Flames players read these message boards...

And if so, dont you think they would be able to comprehend the level of anger that a large majority of the fans have at the Players side in this dispute?

Their public comments sure make you feel they are living in an alternate universe.
Old 02-16-2005, 08:09 PM   #60
jam26
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ken,
I was actually sitting down to the computer to drop you a supportive email, but I guess I'll post it here.
Glad to see the owners seem as unified as ever - I truly hope that's the case.
As I'm sure you know, the vast majority of us are 100% behind ownership.
I am a season ticket holder and I can assure you I will be there for the first game back - even if it does include replacement players (at a reduced price).
As has been said here many times before, it's about what's on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.
Thanks for everything you've done for the organization and its fans.
James