Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-27-2015, 09:58 AM   #261
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
of course my wife is beside herself in how he could potentially be a late cut from the northstars and wind up playing on team 3/4 for our association if he is unable to get to many of his scheduled community tryouts - i tried to explain it to her, but she thought our association should look at it's policy.....

i am happy/proud to report that last night they cut two goalies and he was not one of the cuts - they are now down to 14 goalies. 6 are in the AAA intersquad game and 8 are in the two AA squad game. so to me this ultimately suggests that you have 8 goalies duking it out for two roster spots and there will presumably be some goalies affiliated.
- What is your assoc. policy? Some will put them wherever and some will presume that anyone lasting through most of quadrant tryouts will be one of the better guys (which is not necessarily true). It would probably be a good idea to check that out. Some associations give more autonomy to coaches than others in regards to stuff like this.

- Likely, yes and no. It depends on what the AAA plans to do. If there is a goalie that is clearly the best, they are really trying out 7 guys for one spot, and realistically only 2 or 3 for that spot (in their mind). The players in the intersquad don't necessarily go to AAA camp or are on the AAA radar. It's likely they take 5 to the AAA camp so they can drop 1 to each AA team. That goalie that doesnt go to AAA camp goes through the AA draft, and that's not to say that they make a team. Goalies are so hard to judge in a few short sessions and rankings can change pretty quickly.

Some of what the intersquad game is is just filling out space in the game with borderline players. For example, our AAA guys had a guy in their intersquad last night that all the AA coaches said they would very likely cut. Since the AAA never really planned on taking that kid anyway, we cut him.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:53 AM   #262
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's been a while since I followed minor hockey. I take it there is no longer minor and major bantam teams separated by their age? If there is no age separation, are most of these players trying out for AAA and AA, 14 years old?
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 10:55 AM   #263
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Its probably 50/50 between 13 and 14 year olds.
Old 08-27-2015, 12:54 PM   #264
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

nice to see there is someone following my trials and tribulations during this process.

i understand our associations policy and i get it (I also help out on our goalie comittee) - i think my wife is tired of watching hockey that is still pretty rough.

i'd have to think that any kid selected for the AAA intersquad is going to make it, or put on the AA team at worst.

Based on what i can gather, most of the goalies in the AAA IS game are 14 with one exception. there are a couple of skaters (7 to 12 at most) who are 13, rest are 14 that will play in the AAA IS game.

I beleive the AA is more of a mix of 13/14 yr old. I know for a fact that half the goalies in the AA IS game are 13.

sort of annoyed today as I rec'd an email indicating that there is a dress code for tonights IS games. Frustrates me to have to run out at lunch and take a guess at my sons sizes and then spend moeny on clothes he may not wear again - i will be keeping the tags/receipts.

i get teh dress code for exhibition games or if you make the team but for an IS game at 8 pm on a wednesday night in August?
Old 08-27-2015, 01:30 PM   #265
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
i'd have to think that any kid selected for the AAA intersquad is going to make it, or put on the AA team at worst.
That's the assumption, yes, but once the AA draft is done, it's completely up to the individual coach who now gets to see them for an extra 2 weeks. A lot can be revealed in that time. Generally you're right, but there tends to be exceptions (both goalies and players) every year.

Quote:
sort of annoyed today as I rec'd an email indicating that there is a dress code for tonights IS games. Frustrates me to have to run out at lunch and take a guess at my sons sizes and then spend moeny on clothes he may not wear again - i will be keeping the tags/receipts.

i get teh dress code for exhibition games or if you make the team but for an IS game at 8 pm on a wednesday night in August?
Ohh man, you nailed it for sure. We had the AAA coaches come to us yesterday saying the IS games were going to be full dress. I think that's really stupid. It's such a minor thing, why even make it a concern? Also ticked because the coaches have be in dress code too. I spend all day in my dress clothes, I'd like to be in some street clothes for a little while. And yea, I'm always against parents having to spend money for useless crap like this, you guys pony up enough as it is.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:42 PM   #266
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

To.d myself that I would go to sleep tonight and not look at the north Stars website until this morning; however, since I am wide awake....

Anyways, I though my son played a very strong game in his half of the aa game. He was only scored on once and by then the coaches had left the rink for the lounge. To me, he was poised, skated and moved efficiently and when he had a chance he moved the puck smartly.

After a rough start on Sunday, he has played very well. If he does not get drafted to a team, it won't be because of him playing poorly.
Old 08-28-2015, 07:45 AM   #267
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

last night it was anotehr late night vigil in front of the ipad and once again the enws was positive as my son was invited to the Blazers main camp. The process started with 24 goalies and they are now down to 12.

Very happy and proud of my son as a parent, and more so as a coach.

Was also very happy to see that 3 other goalies (one of whom I also coached) also made it thru to the main camps of otehr NStar AA teams.
Old 08-28-2015, 11:18 AM   #268
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Northendzone, I head read your posts with trepidation.

My son is at the other end of the conveyor belt. He is going into his first year as Atom and set his sights on AA. It will be tuff for a first year to make AA, but he has his sights set on it, time will tell.

I think I must have done something bad in another life to come back as a goalie parent.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 11:28 AM   #269
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^ Atom AA?
Old 08-28-2015, 01:16 PM   #270
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

at first i wondered if being a goalie parent was some type of payback, but my reality is that my son was much happier in net even at the novice age.

to me when he is moving well on the ice and seeing the puck, he makes it look effortless and the picture i have of him as the clock woound down to 0 in last years city championship game is worth far more to me than i will pay in hockey related expenses........to me the only real hard part about being a goalie parent is really getting engaged in the games where he is not playing.

there is still a lot of hard work to be done by him in the next month, but for today i will enjoy the spot he has put himself in.

The team has their first practice on tomorrow and between the AA pracitces, games and our association tryouts he has 27 ice times between tomorrow and September 30......
Old 08-29-2015, 06:15 PM   #271
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

My sons team had their first practice, and I thought my son looked like he would fit nicely with this team, it will be interesting to see how this plays out over the next few weeks.

I think at this point it would be tough for him to go back to community hockey.

As an aside, I was surprised in watching some of the skaters had trouble with some basic puck skills. I guess I just expect a lot more passes on the tape and with some biff.

I'd think they will cut somewhere around 10 skaters, but what do I know.
Old 08-29-2015, 06:34 PM   #272
gt4flames
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I grew up playing high level hockey. I went to school (NSA) here from the time i was in grade 7 until grade 12. between school and my club team i was on the ice upwards of 6 times a week. The School program was 3k+ a year plus equipment and other costs. My midget AAA team was not cheap and we had to do fund-raising ontop of that. after all this training and skating and non stop hockey I never went anywhere with it. No scholarship not even close to an NHL dream.

the cost for my parents was a lot but I was fortunate they could afford it, and hockey was all I wanted to do and i will give my kid the opportunity to have that much passion for a sport and let them have as much access to it.

Out of the school program I was in the only notable person to make it close to the show was Kurt Goggle. He was drafted in the 2nd round By San Jose and I think is apart of the Minnesota organization now...Still hasn't played an NHL game.
gt4flames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gt4flames For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2015, 04:40 PM   #273
TimSJ
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default "Elite" Minor Hockey

I liked This one showed that up on my timeline the other day. I think maybe posted by axel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TimSJ is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TimSJ For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2015, 07:30 AM   #274
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

just another quick update, as the boys second practice looked much better than the first practice - nerves perhaps?

Based on what I have seen, my son has looked like the strongest, most consistent and most dynamic out of the three goalies (I should note that I am usually pretty good about taking off the parent glasses and putting on the coach glasses) - but my opion counts for nothering in this process.

The coaching staff has advised the boys that they will all get a shot at playing in at least one exhibition game this month. The triple AAA team needs to set their roster by the 10 th or so, and some players will cascade down. We have a game on the 12th, so there will be cuts shortly after that.

i would assume the roster for the first game will be comprised of a lot of bubble players - but once again, what do i know.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:50 AM   #275
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimSJ View Post
I liked This one showed that up on my timeline the other day. I think maybe posted by axel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well stated. Just make sure everyone (parents and coaches in particular) understands and agrees with that first sentence.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 09:05 AM   #276
Angelamc
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
last night it was anotehr late night vigil in front of the ipad and once again the enws was positive as my son was invited to the Blazers main camp. The process started with 24 goalies and they are now down to 12.

Very happy and proud of my son as a parent, and more so as a coach.

Was also very happy to see that 3 other goalies (one of whom I also coached) also made it thru to the main camps of otehr NStar AA teams.
Congrats!! Getting invited to main camp also means that he will be affiliated if he does get cut (can be called up to play if needed). Just survived midget tryouts with the Northstars, son is drafted AA Blazers. More and more parents at this level are watching the tryouts from the lounge while sippin' on a beer, its the way to do it, takes the edge off.
Angelamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 04:31 PM   #277
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ i am still not clear on the affiliation process - because they currently have 3 goalies on all teams including the AAA - so they will ultimately have 10 goalies vying for 6 roster spots within AA - so presumably one goalie does not get affliated.

i have also been told that even though you are drafted to team a, you can be moved to team b if it is deemed that a certain player is better than than the players on team b.

this way you presumably are left with truly the 60 top players that tryed out.
Old 09-01-2015, 10:17 PM   #278
Angelamc
Backup Goalie

Exp:

It really just means that any player that is in a camp (AA or AAA), if they get cut and go play community, they can be called up to play if needed (although all the kids in AAA camp are guaranteed spot on AA if they get cut) The affiliates are usually asked to come practice with the team as well, a half dozen times or more, coaches choice, they occasionally get asked to go to tournaments as well. The affiliate thing still happens at the next level, Minor Midget AAA and beyond but the coach will usually call up a Bantam/MM Triple AAA player before they will call on a community player that they had had in camp.

I have seen a team draft a player that was cut from the other team, a goalie in this case, but it doesn't happen a lot.

Feel free to PM me if you have more questions about what to expect, next couple of weeks with the tryout process and beyond and what to expect if he makes it etc. I know there were quite a few suprises when my son made it, that I maybe could have planned better for.
and congrats again to your son!! it takes a heck of a lot of courage to make the step to try out at this level, good for him.
Angelamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 07:03 AM   #279
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks Angelamc - will likely shoot you a PM in the enxt week or so.

Life gets crazy starting tonihgt, as out community association starts thier evaluation process - so tonight he is on the ice twice.......and then he is on every day until monday
Old 09-02-2015, 07:10 AM   #280
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

You might want to double check about doing the community evaluations. Ive never seen a player try out there while still with a quadrant team.He is where now? bantam AAA? He is very unlikely to fall thru the 3 AA teams. Ive only heard of it happening once, and that wasbecause of parent issues after the cut from AAA.
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote