Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 06:46 PM   #3481
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Because if it is a sign and trade with New Jersey they don't get a say.
I thought all 30 GMs had to approve Kovalchuk entering the league?
Old 05-01-2017, 06:48 PM   #3482
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Not if he signs with New Jersey. Only if he tries to sign with another team.

So what he will do if he comes back, is with permission from New Jersey, he will find a fit, then sign a contract with New Jersey and they will then trade him to that team with a pre-arranged return.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2017, 06:49 PM   #3483
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
To become a full FA.

Otherwise NJ can just sign him whenever and trade him to whoever.
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2017, 07:14 PM   #3484
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

WRT Eberle a lot of folks that Justin Shultz was a bust too...

Eberle, when he was a junior, was the definition of big game player...So i think he still might be a salvageable reclamation project if he lands on the right team...

that said, i wouldn't sacrifice assets unless the Oilers swallow a chunk (like 33%) of that ridiculous contract they gave him, cause he's pretty much untradeable at this point in time unless a team is just looking to hit the cap floor

it is quite possible that Eberle has been too corrupted by the Oilers 'player development' of the old regime

Last edited by oldschoolcalgary; 05-01-2017 at 07:17 PM.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:40 PM   #3485
nickerjones
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
WRT Eberle a lot of folks that Justin Shultz was a bust too...

Eberle, when he was a junior, was the definition of big game player...So i think he still might be a salvageable reclamation project if he lands on the right team...

that said, i wouldn't sacrifice assets unless the Oilers swallow a chunk (like 33%) of that ridiculous contract they gave him, cause he's pretty much untradeable at this point in time unless a team is just looking to hit the cap floor

it is quite possible that Eberle has been too corrupted by the Oilers 'player development' of the old regime
Remember his first NHL goal? Wasn't it on Kipper? ... and Ian White?
Old 05-01-2017, 08:01 PM   #3486
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Wouldn't be surprised if eberle is trade to Vegas for one of the dmen Vegas drafts. Eberle will bring an entertainment factor to a team lacking forward skil.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:04 PM   #3487
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerjones View Post
Remember his first NHL goal? Wasn't it on Kipper? ... and Ian White?
Yes.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:09 PM   #3488
Azhouse
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerjones View Post
... and Ian White?
And merely a few years later he was playing for the Steinbach Huskies. Good one Suttsy.
Old 05-02-2017, 02:03 AM   #3489
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

When you look at even the skilled players to engage physically in the playoffs, you won't find Eberle doing any of that. If you're a team lacking offensive skill it might interesting but otherwise, pass given all the costs (capspace and otherwise).
Old 05-02-2017, 05:17 AM   #3490
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
When you look at even the skilled players to engage physically in the playoffs, you won't find Eberle doing any of that. If you're a team lacking offensive skill it might interesting but otherwise, pass given all the costs (capspace and otherwise).
Sounds like Brouwer with offensive skill
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Love For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2017, 09:27 AM   #3491
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
Schultz, Dubnyk and Perron all rehabbed fine after leaving the Oilers. Jury is still out on Petry, Davidson, Marincin, and Hall but one thing is for sure those guys aren't doing any worse.
Old 05-02-2017, 10:08 AM   #3492
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhouse View Post
And merely a few years later he was playing for the Steinbach Huskies. Good one Suttsy.
Oh to return to the halcyon days where people would argue with a straight face that Ian White was 'better defensively' than Dion.
Old 05-02-2017, 12:45 PM   #3493
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Oh to return to the halcyon days where people would argue with a straight face that Ian White was 'better defensively' than Dion.
White is an example of why you can't look at "games played" to decide the quality of a player. He has 503 NHL games (which is decent), but most with a terrible Leafs team that didn't have better options.

You always see the arguments that a player has "x" number of games and a draft pick is unlikely to ever play that number of games, so it is worth it to trade the pick for that player. I doubt any GM worth his paycheck ever looks at that, but fans use it all the time to justify bad trades.
Old 05-02-2017, 01:12 PM   #3494
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wouldn't take Eberle for free right now. It isn't that he is a terrible player, but he is terribly overpriced. You get a soft player who can put in a decent amount of offence. That offence isn't elite either - he is around a mid-20's goals per year scorer (he only finished with 20 this past year, even though it was his only full 82 game season, but I would say he continues to hit in the 20's).

That's about all you get out of him, however. He isn't physical. He doesn't add some blazing speed to give the opposition problems in coverage. He is awful defensively.

Would I take him on the Flames? Maybe... but I might be inclined to keep Brouwer over him. Brouwer is usually a high teens goal scorer, but is also much slower than Eberle. However, he at least brings a decent defensive game (he really isn't bad) and does bring some grittiness (though that aspect was exaggerated from reputation than anything I consistently saw).

Eberle has scored 20 total more goals than Brouwer over the last 4 seasons. That's an average of 5 a year. You have to really like Eberle as a player to figure he is worth 2 million more a season than Brouwer. Given their respective games away from the puck, I pick Brouwer every time, and I haven't liked Brouwer this season.

You would be acquiring a 6 million dollar whipping boy. That's about it. Long stretches of zero goals and next to nothing in terms of defence, intangibles, leadership (come on, he really wears an A up there?). I don't think you can bank on him changing his game or 'returning to form' - I would think the past 6 seasons are more indicative than the one season (7 seasons ago) in his 2nd year in the NHL. Who banks on players returning to form after 7 seasons away from their 'form'. That to me screams outlier now. A season or two - even three? Sure, I won't argue. But seven seasons is a very long time to expect a player to rebound from.

As for Jankowski, I definitely see him as a future 2nd line center on the team. I thought he was NHL ready for this year - at least halfway through if not earlier. He had one game, and sample sizes are incredibly small especially given he was playing on the 4th line, but I thought he created offence and played mistake free. That's essentially his game. Solid 2 way center with the ability to make the players around him better. Flames are adamant in trying to develop Bennett as a center - and rightfully so, as he does have a very high ceiling. Jankowski could really be a benefit there and just get him into the NHL playing wing for now. Bennett needs players with some skill to play with. Also interesting is that Jankowski has never really played with talent before this season - Mangiapane is probably the most gifted offensive player he has played with including prep school and through the NCAA.

Get those two playing together. I don't even care which one is a center and which one is a winger.

Also, re-sign Versteeg. He is good with Monahan. Hopefully find another RW winger (not named Eberle).
Old 05-02-2017, 01:18 PM   #3495
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't see what exactly Eberle has done to warrant first line duties. Guy has 2 points in the 9 playoff games. He is a paid like a first line player, but that is where it ends. Do not want. Brouwer was more impactful.
Old 05-03-2017, 09:43 AM   #3496
Matt Reeeeead
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Eberle's comparable would be Versteeg. I like Steeger, but not at 6M.
Old 05-03-2017, 09:45 AM   #3497
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Eberle is a slightly better scorer than Versteeg, but Versteeg is a better playmaker and more feisty.

Old 05-03-2017, 10:18 AM   #3498
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
Eberle has scored 20 total more goals than Brouwer over the last 4 seasons. That's an average of 5 a year.
He's also put up 75+ points more than Brouwer over that same time...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Reeeeead View Post
Eberle's comparable would be Versteeg. I like Steeger, but not at 6M.
No, no his comparable is not Versteeg.

I get it, the guy is overpaid and part of the loser core of a loser organization. But up until this year, where he still put up 50+ points, the guy has been a consistent high level 60+ point producer in a league where there aren't many consistent 60+ point producers.

Over the last 4 years only 29 players have outscored him, he has the same amount of points as the Sedins, more than Duchene, Marleau, Monahan....

He's no more a comparable to Brouwer and Versteeg than Monahan is a comparable to Letestu.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:27 AM   #3499
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
He's also put up 75+ points more than Brouwer over that same time...

No, no his comparable is not Versteeg.

I get it, the guy is overpaid and part of the loser core of a loser organization. But up until this year, where he still put up 50+ points, the guy has been a consistent high level 60+ point producer in a league where there aren't many consistent 60+ point producers.

Over the last 4 years only 29 players have outscored him, he has the same amount of points as the Sedins, more than Duchene, Marleau, Monahan....

He's no more a comparable to Brouwer and Versteeg than Monahan is a comparable to Letestu.
Pretty ridiculous statement at the end there. Eberle has zero defensive game. Nice how you use a 4 year sample size and toss Monahan in there so his 34pt rookie season skews the numbers.

Eberle is paid to be an elite top line talent and he is a middling second line forward. He might score 10-20pts more than Frolik but brings zero on the PK and makes $1.7M more. Frolik got those dollars as a 27 year old UFA and Eberle gets his deal out of his ELC.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:31 AM   #3500
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Consistent 60+ is a stretch considering he had 60+ 3 of his 7 seasons. With his last one three seasons ago. He got a ton of points early in his career because the Oilers had no system and thought purely offense.
Closed Thread