Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2017, 07:41 PM   #61
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

The whole story is fairly long, basically we made a mistake and her food came late, about 30 minutes after ordering and 15 after the rest of her table. She became immediately rude and demanding, "What are you going to give me for free?" was the very first thing she said.

I spent a really long time trying to make her feel heard, show that we cared about her issue, and wanted her continued business but she made it more and more obvious that all she wanted was to complain and be angry.

Once she made it clear to me she was never coming back, I realized I was wasting my time with her and there were 200 other customers there who would come back and that was where I should direct my energy.

It was definitely rude to tell her she "wasn't my problem" hence why I think I 60% deserved the negative review.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 10:31 AM   #62
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

One thing I noticed about a lot of serial reviewers (people who review everything and everywhere it seems), is that when you look at their reviews, everything is either 5-stars or 1-star. Everything is the best experience they have ever had, or the worst thing in the world.

While on one hand, I suppose it is good that consumer's can have power, a lot of the people wielding the power are just trolls and weirdos. It's as if Donald Trump is leaving have the reviews on Google.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:44 AM   #63
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
One thing I noticed about a lot of serial reviewers (people who review everything and everywhere it seems), is that when you look at their reviews, everything is either 5-stars or 1-star. Everything is the best experience they have ever had, or the worst thing in the world.

While on one hand, I suppose it is good that consumer's can have power, a lot of the people wielding the power are just trolls and weirdos. It's as if Donald Trump is leaving have the reviews on Google.
I prefer that over giving everything 3 stars. I do a lot of proposal review for my work and there is such a tendency to the mean in ratings.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 10:46 AM   #64
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think this is a byproduct of a generation that was told they could have anything they wanted to as long as they set their mind to it. When they have to compromise it is the same as failure in their eyes. It's like how nobody is moderately happy any more. Everyone is over the top, amazingly happy now.

Try watching all the news interviews where someone is expressing gratitude or happiness. Notice how many people say "words cannot express" when asked how happy/grateful they are. Yes, there are words. Use them, stop acting like your emotions are unique, and maybe don't go over the top next time.
Old 08-02-2017, 02:30 PM   #65
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

^Also the hilariously incorrect belief that "the customer is always right".
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2017, 03:29 PM   #66
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the thing that irks me the most is that Google bestows titles like "Local Guide" to people if they leave a lot of reviews. Like the person reviewing has credentials or expertise. When really, they are probably just very lonely. And those reviews are the ones that appear at the top of the searches.

Unfortunately, I think when some people see those titles and have never actually looked into how it works, they buy into it.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 08-02-2017 at 03:32 PM.
FlamesAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 04:00 PM   #67
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I think the thing that irks me the most is that Google bestows titles like "Local Guide" to people if they leave a lot of reviews. Like the person reviewing has credentials or expertise. When really, they are probably just very lonely. And those reviews are the ones that appear at the top of the searches.

Unfortunately, I think when some people see those titles and have never actually looked into how it works, they buy into it.
They are doing similar things with their youtube "creators for change". It's all political.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 04:32 PM   #68
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

As someone with a local guides badge on Google, no it doesn't mean anything. It's mostly photos that I got my points from.

I'm not huge into reviewing for the sake of reviewing. When in another city I have used reviews to try places. 1-2 stars I'll avoid. In the 4's you're probably good

That said I do take untapped a bit more seriously but I do keep in mind my beer tastes are different from yours. I'll likely never give a red a 5 but a crisp IPA will get an extra 1/2 star because that's what I like.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 07:26 PM   #69
Cube Inmate
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
It's more that the "please, please rate me" mindset skews the expectation. They'll say, "please rate us--we strive for 5-star service; anything less is a failure!" Well, then you're not asking for feedback anymore... Your guilting people into giving you a 5/5 just to say "didn't suck."

Calgary sport & social club had a similarly skewed system last time I played. A sportsmanship rating of "average" was looked at as a slap in the face. The only time "below average" was used was to say "this team should be kicked out of the league."

Employee assessments too... Who's ever considered "meets expectations" to be a positive rating?
Cube Inmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 11:27 PM   #70
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Bride, groom who slammed Dallas wedding photographer online, in media must pay $1.08M

Quote:
A Dallas wedding photographer was awarded $1.08 million Friday in a defamation suit against a local blogger and her husband who launched a social media campaign that destroyed her business.

A Dallas County jury concluded that Neely Moldovan and her husband, Andrew, embarked on an extensive effort to slam Andrea Polito and her business, Andrea Polito Photography, according to a lawsuit filed in March 2015.

"I was proud of my accomplishments, what I have done. They took that away from me," Polito said. "It's been a fight for myself to get my reputation back."
https://www.dallasnews.com/news/cour...-must-pay-108m
snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote