Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2014, 10:48 AM   #1
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:
Default CUBE LIFE: Office Etiquette

I guess I didn't have to watch Agent of SHIELD last night cause I just got a full synopsis from the loud chick FIVE cubicles away down the hall.

What's your work environment like? Does your boss notice noise levels. FIVE cubicles down the hall is another department and their manager seems to be aware that it's really noisy all the time but doesn't seem to care.

I'm not saying we should be mice, I often have conversations at my desk when people stop by or if the conversation gets a bit too loud I pull people into the kitchen/java centers to discuss anything from Football to Sephora!

I can't imagine myself yelling over cubicles.

GirlySports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 10:52 AM   #2
East Coast Flame
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

My office can get pretty loud, but I just fire in headphones whenever it bothers me.

The lady across from me often clips her nails at her pod. I find that revolting.
East Coast Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 10:59 AM   #3
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am guilty of terrible cubicle ettiquitte, I talk to myself, to the person on the otherside of the wall, make personal phone calls. The only one I don't do is use speaker phone. Now that I;m in an office I still talk to the cubicle people outside.

One thing we have tried to do is orgnaize people such that the people that want quiet are together and the people that are noisier or social are together where it fits with the projects we are doing.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 11:01 AM   #4
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

I tried headphones but then I can't hear people calling me or if they come into my area I get scared.

GirlySports is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2014, 11:21 AM   #5
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am really annoyed and irritated by the arrogant behaviour of others and people being inconsiderate pricks towards others in most social situations. This includes loud conversations outside of my office, yes. But maybe that's just me. I also hate people intentionally farting and burping in front of others, as if it's a perfectly accepted thing. I am too sensitive, I guess.
CaptainYooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 11:24 AM   #6
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
I am really annoyed and irritated by the arrogant behaviour of others and people being inconsiderate pricks towards others in most social situations. This includes loud conversations outside of my office, yes. But maybe that's just me. I also hate people intentionally farting and burping in front of others, as if it's a perfectly accepted thing. I am too sensitive, I guess.
No, thats just gross. We're not 8 years old.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2014, 11:25 AM   #7
terminator
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I keep reading the title as Club Life
terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 11:26 AM   #8
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
if they come into my area I get scared.
Do you work at an axe-assembly plant?

"Hey girly, does this look sharp enough to you? Look, when I swing it back and forth, the hissing sound is just not what it should be. Oh - sorry! I thought you heard me behind you."
Old 09-24-2014, 11:31 AM   #9
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammies View Post
Do you work at an axe-assembly plant?

"Hey girly, does this look sharp enough to you? Look, when I swing it back and forth, the hissing sound is just not what it should be. Oh - sorry! I thought you heard me behind you."
I remember the good old days working my hours at the combined chainsaw and hockey mask factory.

Those were the days man, when craftsmanship and tradition trumped efficiency and a man could walk around with his chainsaw and hockey mask without having his motives questioned...

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2014, 11:37 AM   #10
skudr248
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminator View Post
I keep reading the title as Club Life
Same haha.

Anyway, there is no cubicles at my office downtown, everyone has their own offices, even co-op students. Quiet around here, everyone works majority of the time independently. Actually quite nice compared to the last job I had working in a oil sands office where I would constantly be subject to hearing loud, annoying, revolting girls talk all day, headphones and the need to travel to different parts of the site made it tolerable to work there.
skudr248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 11:41 AM   #11
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by skudr248 View Post
Same haha.

Anyway, there is no cubicles at my office downtown, everyone has their own offices, even co-op students. Quiet around here, everyone works majority of the time independently. Actually quite nice compared to the last job I had working in a oil sands office where I would constantly be subject to hearing loud, annoying, revolting girls talk all day, headphones and the need to travel to different parts of the site made it tolerable to work there.
I look out my office door and see a white wall. I sit here and hear nothing. I actually wish for more communication and/or teamwork. When people chat, it's behind closed doors.

I kind of miss cube life. At other times, the amount of work I can do with a closed office door, the luxury of privacy, a giant U desk, and storage makes going back impossible in my mind.

Generally people talk about their kids, the latest iPhone/app, or television. As I have no interest in any of those, I'm safe from spoilers but many times totally not fitting in...

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 09-24-2014 at 11:43 AM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 11:41 AM   #12
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

In terms of cubicles, one thing that I hate and which bothers me a lot is people who decorate or put up personal items on the outside of their cubicle. I just hate being bombarded with personal matters as I'm walking around. Inside the cubicle space fine but anything outside or reaching above the limits of the cube walls should not be allowed.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 11:45 AM   #13
Peanut
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
In terms of cubicles, one thing that I hate and which bothers me a lot is people who decorate or put up personal items on the outside of their cubicle. I just hate being bombarded with personal matters as I'm walking around. Inside the cubicle space fine but anything outside or reaching above the limits of the cube walls should not be allowed.
Yeah, jeez. We're all just here for 9 hours a day together, every damn day. Don't you dare try and liven up the atmosphere or display any aspects of your personality outside of your alloted 3 feet by 3 feet. :P

I, thankfully, don't have to work in a cube. That'd be grounds for me to start looking for a new job, actually. I'm way to easily distractable.
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 11:45 AM   #14
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 11:56 AM   #15
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Generally people will do whatever they want, regardless of the proper ettiquette. Trying to ask people to change will likely only make the problem worse. It really is a "suck it up" type situation.

On this topic, I really don't understand why companies are moving to lower cube walls and more open 'collaberative' areas. I found it was just more distracting as I could hear phone calls from three cubes down and they were just talking at a normal level. Any coverstaion just carried arcoss the "bullpen" and it was hard to focus. There was minimal collaberation but lots of distractions. Hope to see this trend reverse.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:12 PM   #16
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

for whatever reason, my coworkers complain about the smoke from my habatchi and the grease from my turkey deep fryer.

it's is my cubicle and if you don't like don't look in it or come to see me
Old 09-24-2014, 12:17 PM   #17
Yasa
First Line Centre

Exp:

Those are the same #######s that never appreciated me smoking a brisket, or accepted any of my invites to drink 40's on the stoop of my cube. I didn't choose cube life. Cube life chose me.
Yasa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Yasa For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2014, 12:17 PM   #18
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
for whatever reason, my coworkers complain about the smoke from my habatchi and the grease from my turkey deep fryer.

it's is my cubicle and if you don't like don't look in it or come to see me
Everyone loves my smoked salmon. You'd never know it with all of the bitching and whining but when you give them smoked salmon its nothing but high fives and good times.

And Bill in accounts payable needs to shut up, we dont all have the time to vent our hookahs through a window.

Old 09-24-2014, 12:19 PM   #19
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
Yeah, jeez. We're all just here for 9 hours a day together, every damn day. Don't you dare try and liven up the atmosphere or display any aspects of your personality outside of your alloted 3 feet by 3 feet. :P

I, thankfully, don't have to work in a cube. That'd be grounds for me to start looking for a new job, actually. I'm way to easily distractable.
The problem with displaying your personality outside of your personal space is that some people might be offended and some people might not have the same taste in materials.

I may like death metal or Marilyn Manson but slapping a poster on the outside of a cube probably isn't going to liven up the atmosphere much.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 12:21 PM   #20
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have the radio on at all times in my cube and it tends to drown out the ambient noise. I'm one of those people that really doesn't care about what's going on outside of my area or work so as long as they aren't cooking fish in microwaves and eating it in the cube next to me. There should be a law about microwaving fish in public. The smell lingers for hours and I hate that smell.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote