Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-08-2017, 09:59 AM   #221
Cgycowboy
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Yeah I suppose that is true. I had mine installed when I moved in so I basically never knew the difference to begin with. I'm not sure how much of an impact it makes in terms of usage as a result. But I can remember the impact it makes for things like sleeping!
I can only imagine. These nights are tough

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk
Cgycowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 04:55 PM   #222
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgycowboy View Post
But it's not. Now you have an extra monthly cost for the usage
I think this assumption needs to be challenged. My electricity bill does go up in the summer months, but I just checked and it averages about $25 extra from June to august. My June usage is only 50 kwh higher than my February usage. Not a perfect comparison, I know, but my point is that I don't think the newer compressors use as much electricity as people think.

It's very worth it, imo.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to psicodude For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2017, 08:10 PM   #223
jeffh
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Cgycowboy, I'd expect for your 1400sqft home, that you are looking from $2500-$3000. There is some possible extra costs that can arrise due to site conditions, such as excessive length of wiring or lineset, no room on the circuit panel for additional circuits, working through a developed space, desire for a higher efficient condensor(14-16seer), etc.
jeffh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 04:37 PM   #224
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Count me amongst those that believe it is worth it. Getting a good nights sleep in peace and quiet is well worth the initial capital cost, plus monthly costs.

I should note that we live in the Deep SE and there are many times where my outdoor thermometers will read as much as five degrees higher than the temp that Paul dunphy will tell it is at the airport.

Not saying my thermometer is better, just saying it suggests it is warmer at my house than the aeroport

Last edited by Northendzone; 07-09-2017 at 04:40 PM.
Northendzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 05:17 PM   #225
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Best investment I made in the past few years was my portable Air Conditioner from Costco for under $400. Leave it in my bedroom upstairs and turn it on about 30 min before I go to bed. Has a timer so may turn it on throughout the night if needed. Plugs into any household socket and the hose and window attachment can be used in all the screened windows in my home. Sets up approximately 4' max from window.

Never needed it much last year but have used it for past 10 days or so. I only use it in one bedroom but it would work well for my whole upstairs (hallway and 2 bedrooms) when I need to use it for that. Just takes a bit more time.
14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 03:44 AM   #226
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

Even better than the portable AC units is to hit up the Honeywell turbo fan. (35$ to $50)

Wait for outside temp to drop below inside temp.

Point fan OUTWARD at window in a secondary room, and run an exchange. You will pull out all hot air of house and exchange with temp of outside air within 15-20 mins.

Poor man's a/c and it works wonders for sleep.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarywinning For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2017, 06:18 AM   #227
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like my Patton U2-20. It's a beast.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 06:43 AM   #228
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psicodude View Post
I think this assumption needs to be challenged. My electricity bill does go up in the summer months, but I just checked and it averages about $25 extra from June to august. My June usage is only 50 kwh higher than my February usage. Not a perfect comparison, I know, but my point is that I don't think the newer compressors use as much electricity as people think.

It's very worth it, imo.
I agree with this. My air conditioner doesn't add much to the bottom line in terms of bills. It is a high efficiency model and is really quite economical to run.
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 08:17 AM   #229
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Looking at my last electricity bill, only 1/3 of the bill was usage. So any bump in the bill will be negligible. I had always considered it costing a dollar per day to run, but now that seems high. The big reasons for me justifying it:
- sleep at night.
- being able to enjoy the heat. I can go out for a bike ride or work in the yard knowing I can cool off when I get home
- being able to cook what I want, when I want. If I feel like making a roast or lasagna- I don't have to worry about the house getting too hot.
- not having to manage windows, air flow, and fans all over the place.

At the end of the day for a little less than 1% of the value of your home, you can enjoy your home and your life on these few precious days where we have gorgeous weather. You know- the weather many of us spend thousands of dollars every year to go to in the winter.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 08:33 AM   #230
username
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I couldn't imagine life without AC now that I've had it for about 5 years. It's so worth it to my family and I that I'd pay double what I paid to have it installed.

I feel like people that say 4K is too much don't know what it's like to have it.
username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 08:41 AM   #231
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by justkidding View Post
What would be too low do you think? I have mine set at 23 deg but wouldn't mind a degree or two cooler.
I don't know what your unit is and what the warranty entails, but for mine (Goodman) my installer suggested 22C is a temperature not to exceed. If it's not getting cool enough on the top floor doing things like closing a few vents on the main floor and basement to push cold air to the top floor (I'd suggest buy Ecobee for the sensor vs Nest if possible so that you lose less cold air).

I apparently have 5/10 year warranty on the system, so for the first few years, I'll heed the advice.

IMO, if a home has good air flow via windows, then it's easy to pop open the windows to cool down the home after a hot day. However, certain homes (town homes especially) have exceptionally poor airflow.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2017, 09:14 AM   #232
justkidding
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Thanks for the reply. I'm pretty sure my installer also said 21 or 22 degrees at the most for cooling. Ours is a Goodman unit as well.

We have had it for a couple of years now and normally it just runs in the evening for a while. We can keep the house fairly cool during the day by closing blinds, etc.its just this past week where I've noticed it not so cool upstairs but then it hasn't cooled down outside much by the time I want to go to sleep.
justkidding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 09:58 AM   #233
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by justkidding View Post
Thanks for the reply. I'm pretty sure my installer also said 21 or 22 degrees at the most for cooling. Ours is a Goodman unit as well.

We have had it for a couple of years now and normally it just runs in the evening for a while. We can keep the house fairly cool during the day by closing blinds, etc.its just this past week where I've noticed it not so cool upstairs but then it hasn't cooled down outside much by the time I want to go to sleep.
My installer did say it was probably ok to do 21.5 or 21C for short durations, but did say not exceeding 22C was the best. I think 22C is just fine, it's just that my thermostat keeps track of temperatures on the main floor and my room is upstairs. It is probably up to 2-3C higher upstairs on occasion.

Closing vents on the lower floors did help a bit, but I'm leaning towards acquiring an Ecobee so that the AC doesn't shut off "early" and the upstairs is not yet at the desired temperature
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 11:56 AM   #234
me_dennis
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Spring 2018 bump.

Does anyone know roughly how much a CAC installation would cost for a 2800 sqft home?
Any recommendations for companies to use? I'm hoping to get some quotes and installed before it gets busy for the summer.
me_dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 12:02 PM   #235
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psicodude View Post

It's very worth it, imo.

Totally agree. My energy consumption doesn't go up that much in the summer. I think air conditioners have come a long way in efficiency and they aren't that much of an extra cost. A hot tub in the winter costs you more than an air conditioner does in the summer.
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 08:52 PM   #236
jeffh
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by me_dennis View Post
Spring 2018 bump.

Does anyone know roughly how much a CAC installation would cost for a 2800 sqft home?
Any recommendations for companies to use? I'm hoping to get some quotes and installed before it gets busy for the summer.
I assume your home has 2 furnaces? If so, i'd assume around 5-7k for both furnaces to be outfitted with evap coils.

I'm not up on companies to look into.
jeffh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 09:38 PM   #237
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by me_dennis View Post
Spring 2018 bump.

Al Chesney.. I have always had good service from them
Old 04-23-2018, 09:49 PM   #238
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Chesney was $1500 more than Arpi's for a similar unit.
DoubleK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 10:57 PM   #239
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Chesney was $1500 more than Arpi's for a similar unit.
wow, even though they have what looks like the most reviews in Calgary, and a better rating then Arpi's.

Well I had a great experience with their tech for service calls, can't speak for system install price
Old 04-23-2018, 11:34 PM   #240
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was surprised as well.

I booked through Costco, so that might have had something to do with it.