Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

Old 07-11-2013, 06:53 PM   #541
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckluck2 View Post
Oops pardon me seems like I was mistaken. He's not racist he's just a vigilante nut case cop wannabe scumbag loser. Either way, I hope they lock him up for a very long time.
So he's already guilty in your mind.

I bet you haven't even been following the trial (you know, that thing in which logic, facts and reason override emotions and race), and will be pissed off if he gets acquitted regardless of the reasoning and evidence behind it.
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Regorium For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2013, 07:03 PM   #542
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Oops pardon me seems like I was mistaken. He's not racist he's just a vigilante nut case cop wannabe scumbag loser. Either way, I hope they lock him up for a very long time.
There's a little bit of irony here. For someone who is decrying racism you sure seem to see this situation in black and white.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:25 PM   #543
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

The reason people were crying racism, other than it being "white" on black violence, was the way the media manipulated the story. They set up a narrative that this was a white man who thought that a black "child" could only be up to no good because of his race. And they went so far as manipulating the audio to sell the idea and get people watching. By showing pictures of Zimmerman in his orange jumpsuit and Martin when he was a child to further play with the emotions. The NBC executives who gave the okay to do so are less than scum.

And of course the original story had the most impact as "our" attention spans are so low and we were so outraged by the idea that it represented. Now that facts, like maybe Trayvon was the aggressor, and he was almost certainly on top of Zimmerman giving him a beating when he got shot, don't hold the same weight to many who had already made up their minds and got sidetracked by Kardashian being pregnant.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:15 PM   #544
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 07-11-2013, 09:20 PM   #545
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regorium View Post
So he's already guilty in your mind.

I bet you haven't even been following the trial (you know, that thing in which logic, facts and reason override emotions and race), and will be pissed off if he gets acquitted regardless of the reasoning and evidence behind it.
He did end a life by shooting a guy in the chest, If I shot someone in all my scraps over the years I would shoot myself over guilt.

Most people in their right mind think he's guilty of something.
T@T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:25 PM   #546
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
He initiated a confrontation after being told by emergency dispatch not to and in that confrontation he shot and killed a kid. It IS murder.
One, The EMS dispatch didn't tell him NOT TO GET OUT of his car. He said "we don't need you to do that" which is a huge difference, two the Dispatcher has no legal authority to tell anyone what to do.

I'm not taking Zimmermans side here, What I'm saying is there isn't evidence to convict him on murder. What I am saying however if a drug dealing kid who wasn't suspended from school for that in Miami he wouldn't of been up in Samford. If it wasn't for a ######bag that wouldn't stay in his car this wouldn't had happened.

I do know that if I lived in a neighborhood that was being broken into like Zimmermans was and I saw someone looking in and out of houses and gaps between them I would of asked him what the heck was up.

How is it that his family already won a suit against the HOA?

this whole thing is a kangaroo court. It still doesn't matter that a 17 year old will never go home, it will never change the fact that Zimmerman's life will forever be changed guilty verdict or not.

thre is a huge issue and fear here in the south of racial riots if he gets acquitted.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:28 PM   #547
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by evman150 View Post
If this was a wannabe-cop black guy shooting a white kid, we all know how this would have gone.

That's not to say Zimmerman is guilty (I think he is), it's just a sad commentary on the way things work in Florida (and the US in general).
HE ISN'T WHITE!!!

good freaking lord! there has been plenty of black on white violence here in the south since this in "justice for treyvon" crap mix idiots of any race and it's going to get nasty
Old 07-11-2013, 09:30 PM   #548
TopChed
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@T View Post
He did end a life by shooting a guy in the chest, If I shot someone in all my scraps over the years I would shoot myself over guilt.

Most people in their right mind think he's guilty of something.
I don't disagree, but that's more a problem of the law as it's written in Florida. It's tragic that a life was lost but it can be legally justified.
TopChed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:30 PM   #549
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Bull####. You can't honestly believe that a confrontation that happened moments earlier had no bearing on the event.

Come on man.
maybe since his michelin man girlfriend said otherwise under oath. She stated that he lost zimmerman and zimmerman was walking back to his truck when the physical violence started.

The state did an absolute terrible job putting that burden on the defense and due to them Anthony the baby killer walks and the teen killer will most likely walks.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:33 PM   #550
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
The Problem is wider than that. The problem is that the law in Florida allows anyone to carry a gun. The only requirement is an easily attainable permit. Zimmerman had even been arrested in 2005 for assaulting a police officer. Zimmerman also had a restraining order filed agaisnt him for an incident of domestic violence.

You'd be surprised how many people in a state like Florida are carrying guns. I'm not even an anti-gun guy, but having a large segment of the population carrying concealed handguns a day to day basis is just a bad idea.

In Zimmerman's defence, he was advised to get a gun by authorities following a run in with a pit bull:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...83O18H20120425
What's scary is that one isn't suppose to be able to purchase a weapon if they have a restraining order against them or a violent charge on their record.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:36 PM   #551
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I wonder if those authorities gave it any thought as to what would likely happen to Zimmerman if he did shoot the pibull? I'm sure they would have been picking up his corpse too.

I also don't think race was the issue. Just my own 2 cents, but the way I imagine it going down was Zimmerman stalked the kid, then confronted him, the kid then became confrontational, Zimmerman pulled his gun, the kid chose to fight over flight and was more than Zimmerman could handle, so Zimmerman shot him.

I'm not a an expert or anything, but to me, that just sounds like the most plausible scenerio. In Zimmerman's head, it could have been self-defense even if he caused the chain of events, but what happens when the other person is also just defending themselves? Surely, someone has to be guilty... it wasn't just an accident (other than the system that allows these situations to occur so easily).
I pretty much agree with this whole thing. However what I think happens and what the state provides as evidence isn't enough to convict a guy.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:39 PM   #552
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It will be a travesty if this loser cop wannabe gets set free. If that was a white kid walking, this wouldn't have happened. Get this loser racist scumbag off the street.
except he is mixed race.... Mom is Latino oh and..

Hard to be racist against your own unless that is you're

Old 07-11-2013, 09:41 PM   #553
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't know, he may live better in jail than out on the street
Old 07-11-2013, 09:45 PM   #554
gargamel
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I don't disagree with your characterization of him, but you don't put someone in prison for manslaughter or murder because they're a vigilante nut case cop wannabe scumbag loser. You put them in prison for manslaughter or murder because they committed manslaughter or murder, neither of which the prosecution has proved based on what I've read about the trial.

I don't blame Martin for attacking Zimmerman if he felt that Zimmerman had racially profiled him, but Zimmerman cannot be found guilty if Martin was the one who escalated the situation to one of life or death.
gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gargamel For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2013, 09:58 PM   #555
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

The fact that Zimmerman's injuries were mostly superficial and all the inconsistencies and blatant lies that are in Zimmerman's story makes me feel that he's guilty.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:59 PM   #556
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gargamel View Post
I don't blame Martin for attacking Zimmerman if he felt that Zimmerman had racially profiled him, but Zimmerman cannot be found guilty if Martin was the one who escalated the situation to one of life or death.
Why not? Assuming, and I realize this is a big assumption but seems closer to the truth than anything else I have heard, if Zimmerman was walking back to his car like he said and Martin came after him, how can you not blame Martin?

It doesn't matter that Zimmerman was legally following Martin or even what he said once they confronted one another, the second Zimmerman turns his back to head to his car, he's no longer an attacker or danger to Martin. If Martin decided he wanted to teach a lesson to this crazy ass cracker, that's not only entirely his fault but a hate crime.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:01 PM   #557
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
The fact that Zimmerman's injuries were mostly superficial and all the inconsistencies and blatant lies that are in Zimmerman's story makes me feel that he's guilty.
Care to list those blatant lies? I'm genuinely curious what they are.

And didn't the expert say it was likely Martin was on top of Zimmerman smashing his head into the concrete? Superficial injuries? Maybe, but what would they have become if Martin wasn't stopped?

I realize I'm defending Zimmerman in a lot of my posts, but if anyone can start pointing to reasons not to (like blatant lies) I would change my opinion once again about the case.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:20 PM   #558
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

That Zimmerman said that he had no clue where he was (which street) and while being interviewed by the cops blurted it out. There are 3 streets in his neighbourhood and he's lived there 4 years. It is impossible that you wouldn't know exactly where you are.

Additionally, he said Martin Jumped out of the bushes and starting fighting him. Problem is, there are no bushes at all in the area.

He embellished how much was hit. Travon had the same build/size my brother had when he was a teenager at that age, so I can understand roughly how strong he would be give or take. If he slammed someone's head into concrete 25 times as zimmerman claimed, not only would he be dead, but his skull/brain would be a mushy paste. Similarly, if he was punched in the face 25 times, his face would be similarly disfigured. The medical examiners said that he got hit in the face and head once each, maybe twice at most.

There are other inconsistencies like him saying he was getting choked by Travon with both hands, and at the same time was apparently reaching behind himself and under Zimmerman for his gun (It was on his back on the right) where it was under clothing and concealed from view. Additionally, the gun and holster were black and it was after dark at the time, making it even more difficult to see.

He made a story that absolved himself of blame as he was aware of the stand you ground law. He made it up. Lying about what happened in such a manner usually means you are guilty.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca

Last edited by Caged Great; 07-11-2013 at 10:27 PM.
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:22 PM   #559
gargamel
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Why not? Assuming, and I realize this is a big assumption but seems closer to the truth than anything else I have heard, if Zimmerman was walking back to his car like he said and Martin came after him, how can you not blame Martin?
If a black man is being harassed because of his race (or reasonably perceives that he is being harassed because of his race), I don't blame him for getting physical with his harasser. Legally, he should be held accountable for it, but I can understand why he'd do it.

This whole incident was started by Zimmerman and I place the vast majority of the blame for what happened on him, but whether he legally did anything wrong is an entirely different question.
gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:08 PM   #560
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
The biggest problem here is that the head of a neighbourhood watch club gets to carry around a gun. A guy who wasn't good enough to be an officer of the law was appointed, likely be some other loser, to have authority.

His job should be to "watch the neighbourhood" and then tattle to the police. This guy is a walking and breathing poster for gun control. Even though I think he is guilty enough that he should be punished, he is a total product of the environment. It's a given that when you have lax gun control, cop wannabes, and "stand your ground" laws; it is going to end very badly for some people.
Unfortunately, he is also the poster for all the stand your ground gun advocates, who think he did the right thing, and it should have been case closed 15 minutes after the body was removed.