Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2015, 06:39 PM   #741
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have you met PEOPLE before? You should go out and meet PEOPLE some time. You would be amazed at the things they aren't aware of.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 06:41 PM   #742
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanda View Post
Maybe you can form an actual response this time?
Why? It's an ignorant, insensitive, inhumane, and garbage thing to say. It's not grounds for a reasoned discussion. It's the exact same reason I'm not going to debate racial discrimination with a KKK member. I'm just going to call them a racist piece of crap and be done with it.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 07:26 PM   #743
Yanda
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Why? It's an ignorant, insensitive, inhumane, and garbage thing to say. It's not grounds for a reasoned discussion. It's the exact same reason I'm not going to debate racial discrimination with a KKK member. I'm just going to call them a racist piece of crap and be done with it.
I dont understand why your all piling on me for defending Jian Ghomeshi.
I shared my opinion that I felt there was originally consent due to the length of there relationship.
You disagree, lets move on.. preferably without unintelligent name calling.
Yanda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Yanda For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2015, 06:42 AM   #744
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I shared my opinion that I felt there was originally consent due to the length of there relationship.
It's just a terrible opinion. You're welcome to have it but you should at least know that you and people like you have caused great problems in the past; so much so that we have laws specifically designed to keep uninformed opinions from having any further legal consequences for victims......

Quote:
evidence that the complainant has engaged in sexual activity, whether with the accused or with any other person, is not admissible to support an inference that, by reason of the sexual nature of that activity, the complainant (a) is more likely to have consented to the sexual activity that forms the subject-matter of the charge; or
(b) is less worthy of belief
And why the opinion is wrong in the first place...

Quote:
A Numerical Representation of the Truth
  • Of every 100 incidents of sexual assault, only 6 are reported to the police
  • 1 - 2% of "date rape" sexual assaults are reported to the police
  • 1 in 4 North American women will be sexually assaulted during their lifetime
  • 11% of women have physical injury resulting for sexual assault
  • Only 2 - 4% of all sexual assaults reported are false reports
  • 60% of sexual abuse/assault victims are under the age of 17
  • over 80% of sex crime victims are women
  • 80% of sexual assault incidents occur in the home
  • 17% of girls under 16 have experienced some form of incest
  • 83% of disabled women will be sexual assaulted during their lifetime
  • 15% of sexual assault victims are boys under 16
  • half of all sexual offenders are married or in long term relationships
  • 57% of aboriginal women have been sexually abused
  • 1/5th of all sexual assaults involve a weapon of some sort
  • 80% of assailants are friends and family of the victim

Last edited by OMG!WTF!; 10-25-2015 at 06:45 AM.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2015, 01:42 PM   #745
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
You said someone who gets raped for a year in a relationship deserves a Darwin Award, and you'd like people to stop lighting you up for it? Can you imagine how it would feel to be a survivor of spousal rape and read that? My bet is you can't.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2016, 07:57 AM   #746
fredr123
Franchise Player

Exp:

BUMP

The Jian Ghomeshi trial starts today. As I type this, he just walked into the packed court room and things are about to get under way. He's facing four charges of sexual assault and one charge of overcoming resistance by choking.

There are plenty of sources to follow for coverage as it unfolds. Here's one: The Sun News live blog: http://www.calgarysun.com/2016/02/01...hall-courtroom
fredr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 08:49 AM   #747
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Will this be the most covered trial by media in Canadian history? Quite likely.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 09:13 AM   #748
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope this doesn't drag on for months....
Old 02-01-2016, 09:23 AM   #749
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Real question is, who plays Ghomeshi in the inevitable film adaptation? Arj Barker or John Stamos? Arj will be more affordable for the Canadian made-for-tv budgets

Jian

Barker / Stamos
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 09:39 AM   #750
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
It'll drag on for months, with years of appeals

Justice is neither swift or precise.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 09:40 AM   #751
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

My vote would be for Aziz Ansari
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2016, 09:43 AM   #752
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

If he's found guilty he'll be played by Dennis Franz.

If not guilty Brad Pitt.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 09:54 AM   #753
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Sarah Adams (who I know through CJSW) wrote this article last week for CBC that sparked a lot of conversation:

Dismantle the sexual harassment 'otherworld' — or at least recognize it exists for women

Calgary's Sarah Adams challenges people to acknowledge and end the sexual harassment in their midst

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...pace-1.3420465

I have also discovered many women in the Calgary music scene knew about Ghomeshi and knew to stay away from him.

Last edited by troutman; 02-01-2016 at 10:22 AM.
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2016, 10:09 AM   #754
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
Will this be the most covered trial by media in Canadian history? Quite likely.
Well obviously different times in regards to media/social media but I can think of a few. There was Clifford Olsen, the Bernardo/Homolka or even the girl and her bf that killed her family. Ugh
puffnstuff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 10:42 AM   #755
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
It'll drag on for months, with years of appeals

Justice is neither swift or precise.
Agreed. He should have been in jail for Moxy Fruvous years ago.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2016, 11:09 AM   #756
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
The appeals will.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 12:30 PM   #757
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Sarah Adams (who I know through CJSW) wrote this article last week for CBC that sparked a lot of conversation:

Dismantle the sexual harassment 'otherworld' — or at least recognize it exists for women

Calgary's Sarah Adams challenges people to acknowledge and end the sexual harassment in their midst

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...pace-1.3420465

I have also discovered many women in the Calgary music scene knew about Ghomeshi and knew to stay away from him.
I think we all need to recognize how pervasive sexual assault is, and how often it happens in secrecy. However, I don't agree that we live in a culture that is tolerant of sexual assault. In fact, if anyone can site some cultures that are less tolerant of sexual assault, I'd like to hear them. Personally, I've never come across the scenario put forward in the article of women telling men about sexual abuse carried out by their peers, and the men not acknowledging it. Maybe that really is a thing. But I'm not really sure what kind of social pressures we can exert beyond what we already do to make it clear to men that this is awful behaviour. It's not as though we routinely see men openly boasting of rape. There's a reason it's kept secret - because it's morally repugnant.

I think some of the frustration stems from the naturalism fallacy - that we are inherently good and peaceful creatures, and it's only poor socialization (or 'rape culture') that makes men sexually assault women. That if we socialize men better, they will stop. While I think we can (and have) reduce the predatory behaviour of men, short of genetic manipulation or hormonal therapy, we'll never completely root it out. Which is why there has never been a culture where murder is unheard of.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 12:38 PM   #758
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
It's not as though we routinely see men openly boasting of rape.
Uhhh...really? You've never heard of Roosh V, who has made a living out of just that and advocating for rape to be legalized? You've never heard dudes bragging about taking drunk girls home? Never seen guys at bars grabbing girls' asses?

I've also seen men and women both deny another person's SA experiences. Hell, look at every time a celebrity or pro athlete is accused. I'm not saying that people should automatically assume the person is guilty, but the fact that the opposite of that happens and we immediately see a bunch of people start calling the accuser a lying, money-grubbing whore tells me that there's still a lot of work to be done,.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2016, 01:04 PM   #759
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

A similar story from last month:

Dirty Projectors’ Amber Coffman among several women to accuse music publicist Heathcliff Berru of sexual assault

Publicists, Best Coast’s Bethany Cosentino have expressed their support for Coffman

http://consequenceofsound.net/2016/0...al-harassment/

Dirty Projectors member Amber Coffman took to Twitter to accuse one of the industry’s most prominent music publicists, Heathcliff Berru, of sexual assault. Berru is the founder of Life or Death PR & Management, whose clients include high-profile artists like D’Angelo, Killer Mike, Wavves, Cloud Nothings, and Mac Miller.

“Was just re-telling/re-remembering a story abt how a very popular music publicist RUBBED my ass and BIT my hair at a bar a couple years ago,” she wrote. “I’ve been told many women have had scary stories about him for years but are scared to speak up. And dudes overlook it and keep hiring him.”

“Tired of sketchy ass dudes and sexual predators getting a pass from their ‘bros.’ Grow a spine and hold your friends accountable.” She also noted that ever since disclosing her accusations to Dirty Projectors’ label Domino Records, they’ve severed ties with Berru.
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 01:08 PM   #760
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Uhhh...really? You've never heard of Roosh V, who has made a living out of just that and advocating for rape to be legalized? You've never heard dudes bragging about taking drunk girls home? Never seen guys at bars grabbing girls' asses?

I've also seen men and women both deny another person's SA experiences. Hell, look at every time a celebrity or pro athlete is accused. I'm not saying that people should automatically assume the person is guilty, but the fact that the opposite of that happens and we immediately see a bunch of people start calling the accuser a lying, money-grubbing whore tells me that there's still a lot of work to be done,.
This seems to me to be another in a long line of posts that I see on this topic from you that are very accusatory towards the poster, but don't offer up a ton of thought provoking material or well thought out points. Everything is exaggerated for maximum effect with little to no actual substance.

I'm not gonna tell you to stop though. I just want to see the same zealotry used by you on every topic from now on.

In the Huntington Hills thread, when someone mentions the city going all to hell and someone else responding with a post about declining murder rates over the last 20 years, I want you in there like flies to poop standing on your soapbox telling everyone that murderers are EVERYWHERE!!! and that we are all in super, super danger and that they are blind to the cesspool that is our society.

In a Flames game thread, OMG Backlund missed that pass!!!! Trade him!!! He's a bum!!! Then someone responds that he's quietly having a not bad season and you reply by saying "Yeah but he has missed every pass EVER and he's the reason we lose every game!!!!!!". Actually now that I think about it, that will just ensure that you will have no problem fitting in to the game threads.

Rinse and repeat for every subject.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post: