Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2015, 12:22 AM   #721
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

I wouldn't be surprised if Ghomeshi gets totally lit up in this case.

Given the nature of the allegations against him, he's almost certainly going to have to testify to gain an acquittal. I don't get the sense that the complainants are easily impeachable - there's plenty of them and they don't seem to stem from colorful backgrounds. Decent chance that hard line attempts to attack them just end up aggravating the judge.

And if he testifies, I doubt he presents well even if very well prepared. What he has already tacitly admitted to provides both fodder for the Crown and insight into his character.

I would also be hesitant to go with a lawyer who markets herself as the article suggests. It's a "love it or hate it" approach, and you've got a better than 50% chance the judge hates it, I would think.

That said though, the cards are always stacked against the Crown in a prosecution, so who knows how it will all unfold. It'll mostly come down to the courage of the complainants.
flylock shox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 12:49 AM   #722
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post
Isn't that reasonable doubt right there?
With no independent witnesses, video, or pictures etc. Yes.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 01:52 AM   #723
blueski
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtmac19 View Post
Pretty interesting article in Toronto Life about Marie Henein, Jian Ghomeshi's lawyer.

Looks like he picked a good one.

http://torontolife.com/marie-henein-...omeshi-lawyer/
Good article:

"Ghomeshi had not yet retained Henein on the night of the Criminal Lawyers’ Association gala last October, when she took to the stage of the Ritz-Carlton with a one-liner that lit up the Twittersphere. “We represent people who have committed heinous acts—acts of violence, acts of depravity, acts of cruelty,” she quipped. “Or as Jian Ghomeshi likes to call it, foreplay.”

The ballroom erupted in laughter, but six days later when the butt of her joke hired her, some colleagues wondered whether the jest was yet another of Henein’s marketing ploys—a provocative signal pitched directly at Ghomeshi, who had already confessed to a taste for rough sex, that she would push boundaries in defending him. “I wouldn’t put it past her,” says one, asking for anonymity. “That’s one of her assets. She can think five, six, 10 moves down the chess game.”
blueski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 02:03 AM   #724
Yanda
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

They saw each other off and on for a year... There is no way it wasnt consensual. If your getting casually raped once a month then you deserve a darwin award.

Last edited by Yanda; 10-24-2015 at 02:05 AM.
Yanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 02:10 AM   #725
blueski
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
I've been a prosecutor and defence lawyer.

All the defence needs is a reasonable doubt. That means if the judge feels 99% certain he's guilty, that's an acquittal. Whether that means they were lucky enough to draw the judge that always acquits if judge alone(there are some judges that convict after trial maybe 10% of the time), a few dummies on the jury if a jury trial, or some of the complainants just make honest mistakes testifying which makes them look a bit dishonest.

Especially with all the money that he's paying her, I'm sure she'll dig something up to try to impeach their credibility.

There are no slam dunks in sexual assault cases, none. A lot of very good crown prosecutors in my office when I was in Alberta were like 1/10 or 2/20 in securing sexual assault convictions after trial. It was almost a running joke. When you got a sexual assault conviction it was usually because the defence lawyer was inexperienced and did a ####ty job.

The test that a judge must use when it's he said vs she said and no physical evidence (like pictures or Dan) makes it very difficult to convict when the accused gets on the stand and is very smooth and denies doing anything wrong and has no inconsistencies in his evidence. The judge basically says "I can't be sure he really did it". Of course the judge can't be sure, they weren't there, no one was!

I wouldn't be surprised in the least bit if he is acquitted on all counts.
She got Micheal Bryant aquitted and there was even video evidence of him ramming a cyclist with his car:
https://nowtoronto.com/news/exclusiv...of-darcy-alla/
blueski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 05:27 AM   #726
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

I certainly believe he's guilty. I know it's her job, but the suggestion that she's going to crucify these women in order to poke enough holes in their stories, is so hard to stomach. While that slimy creep sits there and watches on top of it.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bigtmac19 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2015, 06:05 AM   #727
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
I've been a prosecutor and defence lawyer.

All the defence needs is a reasonable doubt. That means if the judge feels 99% certain he's guilty, that's an acquittal. Whether that means they were lucky enough to draw the judge that always acquits if judge alone(there are some judges that convict after trial maybe 10% of the time), a few dummies on the jury if a jury trial, or some of the complainants just make honest mistakes testifying which makes them look a bit dishonest.

Especially with all the money that he's paying her, I'm sure she'll dig something up to try to impeach their credibility.

There are no slam dunks in sexual assault cases, none. A lot of very good crown prosecutors in my office when I was in Alberta were like 1/10 or 2/20 in securing sexual assault convictions after trial. It was almost a running joke. When you got a sexual assault conviction it was usually because the defence lawyer was inexperienced and did a ####ty job.
I'm just going by memory but I don't think conviction rates for other major crimes are that much different than for sexual assault. Murder is usually about 50%, sex assault about 43%. It's less, but not much so given the inherent lack of physical evidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanda View Post
They saw each other off and on for a year... There is no way it wasnt consensual. If your getting casually raped once a month then you deserve a darwin award.
That's unbelievably ignorant. Give your head a shake.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2015, 08:22 AM   #728
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So which one of the 4 complaints that are going to trial would that crap excuse cover.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 09:17 AM   #729
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I suggest your drive down to the women's shelter right now and get educated before you spout more ignorant nonsense.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2015, 09:18 AM   #730
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtmac19 View Post
I certainly believe he's guilty. I know it's her job, but the suggestion that she's going to crucify these women in order to poke enough holes in their stories, is so hard to stomach. While that slimy creep sits there and watches on top of it.
I think it's going to come down to Ghomeshi and what he says. I personally think the guy is a psychopath and he honestly believes that he didn't do anything wrong and that he is the victim. I can totally see his ego taking over and right now his lawyer is probably coaching him not to be stupid. I am hoping he can't help himself though.
Old 10-24-2015, 09:34 AM   #731
darockwilder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Fascinating article, I'm hopeful that the truth wins out in the end no matter what. Pretty sure he'll be toast.
darockwilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 09:41 AM   #732
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Wow. [Mod edit- how about saying that you couldn't disagree more?]
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2015, 09:55 AM   #733
Yanda
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

nm

Last edited by MRCboicgy; 10-26-2015 at 08:29 PM. Reason: quoting previously moderated post
Yanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 10:08 AM   #734
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Come on man its not like she was locked up in some basement. It was 2 adults that were casually seeing each other over a year long process.

What reason do you have to believe it wasnt consensual?

Maybe you can form an actual response this time?
This is not specific to this case but just general terms:

For one its a power and dominance issue.

For two its fear: what will happen?

For three its intimidation: fine tell someone, but then they will know what you do. Your parents. Your coworkers. Your friends. Your colleagues. Your future boyfriend(s)/husband.

For four: its stereotyping and societal attitude. "Well she must have wanted it because she stayed."

For five: as confusing as this may sound, it may be all they have. Do I stay with this person and their "warts" especially if the alternative may be going out on the street, no place to live, or this is the only person that has "loved" me, etc etc.

For six: its trying to help. If I stay with this person, I can help them, I love them. I can help them work through it.

I'll stop there for now.

I'm not commenting on the specifics of this case, but there are a lot of issues and reasons at play, and I think the more we look to learn, understand, and most importantly - listen - the better off we are.
RedHot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RedHot25 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2015, 11:29 AM   #735
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Come on man its not like she was locked up in some basement. It was 2 adults that were casually seeing each other over a year long process.

Because she said it wasn't you ****.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2015, 12:52 PM   #736
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jesus, Yanda, it's not even about this case, the issue is you saying there's "no way" it wasn't consensual simply because they were involved. Are you saying there's no such thing as marital rape, for example? Just an incredibly stupid thing to say.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2015, 02:59 PM   #737
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Haha, keep digging. rube's right, you're a disgusting person.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 04:38 PM   #738
Nuje
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Have you ever had someone, while talking to you, ask if something counts as rape if they're your boyfriend? Well I have. It certainly wasn't a happy-go-lucky !@#$ing conversation.

Oh, but wait. I didn't realize this was a giant conspiracy of women out to get one particular guy, accusing him of serious violent crimes, because they didn't like him for some totally lesser reason!

Get a clue!
Old 10-24-2015, 05:02 PM   #739
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post
Haha, keep digging. rube's right, you're a disgusting person.
I'm not sure it's fair to call him a disgusting person, yet.... Some people are just that ignorant about these types of things. Educating them, rather than calling them disgusting is probably a better way to start. If' he doubles down and starts linking to MRA video's, well then have at 'er.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 06:33 PM   #740
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think I agree. You would have to live under a rock to not be aware of this "type of thing".
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote