Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2023, 12:50 AM   #21
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Everything could have been different if Markstrom had not panicked every time he saw an Oiler logo coming at him.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Manhattanboy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2023, 12:10 PM   #22
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lucic is such a great and intelligent guy. Hope someone gives him a chance to keep playing.

Once he retires though whatever he decides to do after he’ll be successful at it. Part of me wants him on HNIC just so we can see more of him regularly. Him and Bieksa might be a good media pair.

“Bad Boys of the Bubble” lol

Last edited by topfiverecords; 06-10-2023 at 12:17 PM.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2023, 12:17 PM   #23
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Everything could have been different if Markstrom had not panicked every time he saw an Oiler logo coming at him.
It was Sutter's fault for putting him back in game after game in what was the worst performance by a goalie in playoff history.

We would have won the series with Vladar in net.
Old 06-10-2023, 01:00 PM   #24
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
It was Sutter's fault for putting him back in game after game in what was the worst performance by a goalie in playoff history.

Sutter was trying to get Lucic going because he believed in him. He amd Lucic likely discussed it with Lucic feeling he needed to play more. Thats why when he got benched and got back into the line up Sutter went right back to him. You can tell Lucic has some respect for Sutter it is probably mutual.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 01:17 PM   #25
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post

Deserved to get fired for this approach alone.

It started with this and he kept it going right to his last decision as a Flames coach.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2023, 01:27 PM   #26
camm13
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post

Or any puck coming at him in the first 2 minutes of the game.
camm13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 01:28 PM   #27
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

This isn’t a Sutter is good for black aces but not elite player thing. It’s about the personality types on the team. Sutter has gotten amazing results out of top talent, all his career, including as recently as 2 seasons ago with Johnny.

We need to stop micro analyzing things to fit the narrative we want. Sutter’s coaching record speaks for itself. He’s an elite coach. It was clear it couldn’t go on with him, but unfortunately I think that says more about the players we have than him. Conny Shoukd take a long hard pause and decide if the group we have that wanted Sutter out really has what it takes to get the job done, and move on from those players (if he can) if he doesn’t think so. Conny knows what it’s like to play for Sutter so he should be a good judge.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Cleveland Steam Whistle For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2023, 01:36 PM   #28
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Steam Whistle View Post
This isn’t a Sutter is good for black aces but not elite player thing. It’s about the personality types on the team. Sutter has gotten amazing results out of top talent, all his career, including as recently as 2 seasons ago with Johnny.

We need to stop micro analyzing things to fit the narrative we want. Sutter’s coaching record speaks for itself. He’s an elite coach. It was clear it couldn’t go on with him, but unfortunately I think that says more about the players we have than him. Conny Shoukd take a long hard pause and decide if the group we have that wanted Sutter out really has what it takes to get the job done, and move on from those players (if he can) if he doesn’t think so. Conny knows what it’s like to play for Sutter so he should be a good judge.
It wasn't just the players, though. The GM stepped down because Sutter wouldn't listen to him, and it has been widely reported that virtually everyone in the hockey ops. dept. was chafing under Sutter.

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2023, 01:42 PM   #29
All In Good Time
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

As long as next season is fun
All In Good Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 02:01 PM   #30
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
It wasn't just the players, though. The GM stepped down because Sutter wouldn't listen to him, and it has been widely reported that virtually everyone in the hockey ops. dept. was chafing under Sutter.

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk
The GM stepped down because he was told to make his middling roster win with an elite coach implementing a specific path towards winning with a middling roster and it didn’t work as expected.

The GM stepped down because he was tired of the Calgary wringer with continual limitations and might as well go through the same BS elsewhere but with Matthews, Marner, Nylander and Knies to start with.

Sutter had nothing to do with it. He would have known Sutter wasn’t locked in (as he wasn’t) before he made his final call to leave. He wanted a change.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 02:55 PM   #31
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll miss Lucic. Outside of Johnny, he's my favorite Flame of the last few years.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2023, 03:14 PM   #32
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Ya, Conroy should get rid of the players we have and totally replace them with guys who are ok with being verbally abused and not utilized properly.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 07:14 PM   #33
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
The GM stepped down because he was told to make his middling roster win with an elite coach implementing a specific path towards winning with a middling roster and it didn’t work as expected.

The GM stepped down because he was tired of the Calgary wringer with continual limitations and might as well go through the same BS elsewhere but with Matthews, Marner, Nylander and Knies to start with.

Sutter had nothing to do with it. He would have known Sutter wasn’t locked in (as he wasn’t) before he made his final call to leave. He wanted a change.
No, it was a solid roster that was widely expected to win the division. Sutter is a great coach, but he had a terrible season - he mismanaged the lines, he didn't handle the goalies well, he didn't utilize players that Treliving brought in, he created a toxic atmosphere, he made no attempt to make 3on3 any good, he destroyed the confidence of his best player, and misused him all year... it goes on and on. It will probably go down as the worst year of coaching Sutter ever put out there.

And to be clear: I am a big Sutter fan.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2023, 07:16 PM   #34
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
No, it was a solid roster that was widely expected to win the division. Sutter is a great coach, but he had a terrible season - he mismanaged the lines, he didn't handle the goalies well, he didn't utilize players that Treliving brought in, he created a toxic atmosphere, he made no attempt to make 3on3 any good, he destroyed the confidence of his best player, and misused him all year... it goes on and on. It will probably go down as the worst year of coaching Sutter ever put out there.

And to be clear: I am a big Sutter fan.
So was I. Huge Sutter fan and even gave him 35-40 games as goodwill. but man.... that handling of Lucic and Markstrom and then the powerplay. Downfall was fast and hard.
Old 06-12-2023, 12:15 AM   #35
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Maybe Sutter will stick around as the advisor to the new coach lol
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 10:04 AM   #36
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

The 2 elite guys on the team both wanted out after getting that amazing production says a lot too. Players like success and both Tkachuk and Gaudreau came off career years and said - eff this I'm out. Then a bunch of players after this year want out as well.

If you lose your 2 elite guys and then follow that up by having a bunch of other good players say they want out - it's probably not a player thing.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2023, 01:22 PM   #37
Eubee
Scoring Winger

Exp:

[QUOTE=Paulie Walnuts
Sutter was a db I hate the players crap.[/QUOTE]

Considering your ground-breaking style of unparalleled quality and efficiency in not only providing your point but proving your point, I just want to say thank god you’re here to keep the rambling to a minimum.
Eubee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boa , darryl sutter , lucic