Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-13-2016, 10:27 PM   #61
indes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Thank you for the detailed response! I'm looking for an HTPC for the garage so looks like the kangaroo will be for me
I believe.
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 05:33 AM   #62
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indes View Post
Thank you for the detailed response! I'm looking for an HTPC for the garage so looks like the kangaroo will be for me
Interesting.
Linux is the usual choice for small form HTPC's, (quite possibly mostly because it takes the fewest resources) and this one might have the guts to use something else. There are audio issues with Linux on this box, so far, so Windows 10 (that it ships with) is likely the right answer.
Keep us posted!
EldrickOnIce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 10:12 AM   #63
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
No worries. I actually researched the Pi vs Kangaroo for my own uses.

The Kangaroo has pretty much identical computing hardware as the base model Surface 3 tablet. So if you want to get an idea of how Windows will perform on that hardware you could hop on down to Best Buy or Microsoft store and play with a Surface 3.

Also a common complaint with the Kangaroo as an HTPC is it has no physical audio out besides via HDMI . If you are just planning on hooking it up to a TV and using the TV's speakers it shouldn't be a problem.

If you want to use headphones, then you are pretty much stuck using bluetooth headphones. If you want to use some external speakers connected directly to the Kangaroo, you are stuck using USB speakers.

Apparently the latest Kangaroo dock concept shown at CES has a 3.5mm audio jack, but who knows if and when that will be released.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 06:58 AM   #64
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Memory Express NE store has the pi3 in stock for $59.99

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX61461

Pretty decent deal if you want one today and no shipping cost.

They also have the starter kit which includes power supply, case, and pre-loaded sd card for $89.99

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX61462
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 03:55 PM   #65
Hanni
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Indes how did you make out with this? I'm looking to do an HTPC and was considering the Pi. I have 2 Roku's now so I want something that can do both Kodi and Plex as I want to keep the Roku's. Looks like there is a PlexBMC add on that might work.

Anyone use a Pi with OpenELEC and/or used PlexBMC?
Hanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 04:29 PM   #66
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Openelec works great on the Pi2. I expect it would be excellent on the Pi3. I actually tried both Openelec and OSMC, and went with OSMC instead, but that pretty much comes down to personal preference only.

I have never tried Plexbmc, but it is my understanding that it works good. Here is a link with some good info regarding plex integration through Kodi using Plexbmc. Amber is a great skin for the Pi, and integrates Plexbmc very nicely.

http://www.htpcbeginner.com/kodi-and...plexbmc-addon/

Good luck
EldrickOnIce is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2017, 11:19 PM   #67
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Bumping an old thread for a boost with my home project.

I got a CanaKit Raspberry Pi 3 Ultimate Start Kit 32 GB Edition.

My goal would be to have this plugged into my bedroom for the following features, as simple as possible, with no swapping SD cards or anything:
- Netflix/Crave/etc.
- Media playing that recognizes my wireless NAS for movies
- Emulators that can play off of files from the NAS (or SD if necessary)
- Streaming Steam games via Moonlight from my desktop

Is this all possible at once or am I going to fiddle around with multiple configurations?

I'm pretty techsavvy, but new to the Pi and a bit overwhelmed, especially with very limited personal time nowadays. Any starting recommendations or answers is appreciated!
TSXCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 12:54 PM   #68
jeep991
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I tried getting Netflix working on the Raspberry Pi 2 about a year, year and a half ago but finally gave up. There are a few sites that show you how to set it up but none worked for me. I had previously set up Plex on it and now I've got Kodi set up on it with Private Internet Access vpn. Haven't used it in ages though.
jeep991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 11:18 PM   #69
Iceman90
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSXCman View Post
Bumping an old thread for a boost with my home project.

I got a CanaKit Raspberry Pi 3 Ultimate Start Kit 32 GB Edition.

My goal would be to have this plugged into my bedroom for the following features, as simple as possible, with no swapping SD cards or anything:
- Netflix/Crave/etc.
- Media playing that recognizes my wireless NAS for movies
- Emulators that can play off of files from the NAS (or SD if necessary)
- Streaming Steam games via Moonlight from my desktop

Is this all possible at once or am I going to fiddle around with multiple configurations?

I'm pretty techsavvy, but new to the Pi and a bit overwhelmed, especially with very limited personal time nowadays. Any starting recommendations or answers is appreciated!
You could do it all, but generally you'd have different OS's for different purposes - one for a media centre, one for a game centre, etc.

But this is doable for sure. I'd suggest getting a mouse/keyboard interface.