Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2017, 11:45 AM   #1741
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Saw this coming a mile away.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2017, 12:49 PM   #1742
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I think United is better without Zlatan. Rashford adds a lot of pace and Zlatan seems to slow things down. I don't watch them all the time though, so that is just from my cursory glances here and there.
yeah I mentioned that a week ago or so. I think saying they are "better" without Zlatan is a bit harsh because he still scored a lot of important goals, but there's no denying that they are much more versatile and less predictable without Zlatan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Remember like 10 days ago when we said United had to focus all efforts on Europa because top 4 looked unlikely? With another Liverpool flop against a bottom third team, I'd say United are definitely the favorites to snag the last top four spot ahead of Liverpool. Klopp gonna start feeling the heat after this one you'd think.
I'd say it's still looking unlikely. United still have away games at City, Arsenal and Spurs, and they currently have one healthy CB. That's an uphill battle for sure and I think it won't enough in the end. Just too many draws.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 02:56 PM   #1743
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

so after losing to Arsenal today, Guardiola will not win a title in his first season with a new club for the first time. Turns out this manager thing is a bit harder when you don't inherit Messi & friends or a treble winner. Even when you throw £175m at the problem.

James Ducker‏ @TelegraphDucker
Pellegrini 15/16 PL: 4th; CL: SF; EFL Cup: Won; FAC: R5. Pep 16/17 (post £175m spend) PL: 4th currently; CL: R16; EFL Cup: R4; FAC: SF ��
Old 04-23-2017, 03:27 PM   #1744
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

top 2 are done, dont think anyone argues with that

Liverpool have 66 with
@watford
southampton
@West Ham
Boro

City have 64 with
United
@Boro
Palace
Leicester
West Brom
@Watford

United have 63 with
@City
Swansea
@Arsenal
@Tottenham
@Southampton
Palace

Arsenal have 57 with
Leicester
@Tottenham
United
@Southampton
@Stoke
Sunderland
Everton

I see City as in, too many home games, I see them around 78 points

so 4th place is basically if you can match Liverpool, to me with their struggles. that looks like 7 points to me

Split the away games with a loss and a draw, win both at home, if they lose to Watford though that West Ham game becomes massive, and West Ham might badly need it

Assuming 74 though, Where are the 11 points (3W/2D or 4W) from United or the 17 from Arsenal (6W or 5W/2D)

My guess would be City 3rd, Liverpool 4th, and I do expect United to win the EL
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 03:02 PM   #1745
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Newcastle is officially in for next season as they clinched that with a 4-1 victory today. The playoff is still close, but looks like it will be four of Reading, Sheffield Wednesday, Huddersfield Town, Fulham or Leeds United. Really Fulham/Leeds are battling as the others are all but out of reach.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2017, 09:25 PM   #1746
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

I'm rooting for Fulham. Someone I know in London supports them, and I think it would be great to catch a Premier League game in Craven Cottage one day!
Old 04-26-2017, 06:30 AM   #1747
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow, West Ham and Newcastle were raided by the police for tax issues surrounding transfers. I want to get excited that they could be docked points and end up relegated as a result, but unfortunately it's too late in the season for that so we have to rely on their poor play instead!

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/footb...-lee-charnley/
Old 04-26-2017, 06:38 AM   #1748
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Joey Barton banned for 18 months because of betting. Terrible loss for the game.
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2017, 07:31 AM   #1749
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
Joey Barton banned for 18 months because of betting. Terrible loss for the game.
Lol, all he does it produce.

Produce headlines.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 08:03 AM   #1750
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Wow, West Ham and Newcastle were raided by the police for tax issues surrounding transfers. I want to get excited that they could be docked points and end up relegated as a result, but unfortunately it's too late in the season for that so we have to rely on their poor play instead!

I wouldn't be too sure of that.

Swindon won the old second division play-offs a good few years back to obtain promotion to division one, were then found to have financial irregularities and breached rules and were subsequently relegated to division three. What I'm saying is, never too late.

Became affectionately known as Swindle Town.

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 08:09 AM   #1751
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I was reading that, though you shouldnt read 'the Sun,' have some respect!

But Her Majesty's Customs and Revenue are the 'Not Screwing Around' Crew. That is a pretty militant taxation agency.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 09:19 AM   #1752
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Apparently Chelsea is involved in the search as well as HMRC has also been there. I would post a link and that part is fine, but basically none of the surrounding photos or images are safe for work!
Old 04-26-2017, 10:02 AM   #1753
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
Appealing. Against what he considers the excessive length of the ban. And in fairness I think he has a valid case. As he said there is a big difference between betting on games and any suggestion of match fixing.

Quote:
Raised at the hearing was that between 2004 and 2011 I placed a handful of bets on my own team to lose matches. I accept of course that this is against the rules, for the obvious reason that a player with an additional financial stake in the game might seek to change the course of it for his own personal gain. However I’d like to offer some context.

First, in every game I have played, I have given everything. I’m confident that anyone who has ever seen me play, or played with or against me, will confirm that to be the case. I am more aware than anyone that I have character issues that I struggle with, and my addictive personality is one of them, but I am a devoted and dedicated professional who has always given my all on the pitch.

Second, on the few occasions where I placed a bet on my own team to lose, I was not involved in the match day squad for any of those games. I did not play. I was not even on the bench. I had no more ability to influence the outcome than had I been betting on darts, snooker, or a cricket match in the West Indies. I should add that on some of those occasions, my placing of the bet on my own team to lose was an expression of my anger and frustration at not being picked or being unable to play. I understand people will think that is childish and selfish and I cannot disagree with that.

Third, I should point out that the last of these bets against my own team was six years ago (and in a reserve game), when I was going through a particularly troubled period, and when the FA were not nearly as hard on gambling as they are now.

One thing I can state with absolute certainty – I have never placed a bet against my own team when in a position to influence the game, and I am pleased that in all of the interviews with the FA, and at the hearing, my integrity on that point has never been in question. I could not live with myself, nor face my team-mates or the fans of the clubs I played for, if they seriously thought I would bet on my team to lose a game whose outcome I could influence.

The Commission that heard my case made clear in their reasons on a number of occasions that “there was no suggestion [I] was involved in match fixing” and I am publishing a list of my bets because I want the full facts of my case to be known.

A ban of 18 months is longer than several bans handed to players who played in matches where they bet for their team to lose and – unlike me – were found to have had an ability to influence the games. The only players to be banned for 12 months or longer bet against their own teams and played in the matches in which they placed those bets. Players who did not play in the matches they placed the bets in have never been banned for longer than 6 months. I feel the ban is excessive in this context.
Full statement.
http://www.joeybarton.com/betting-statement/

Got a good point about the FA being serious and the role of betting companies.

Last edited by Bagor; 04-26-2017 at 10:04 AM.
Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 03:32 PM   #1754
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Clutch win for Spurs against Palace. Given the longer term issues for Palace this might not sound like a big deal, but they were solid and gave it a shot in the first half in particular. Next up Sunday morning is the North London Derby, which has a few implications. Of course Spurs need the win to keep the pressure on Chelsea. A victory for Spurs would also lock up them finishing above Ar5ena1 for the first time since 1995. Oh and its the last NLD at White Hart Lane. Huge game!
Old 04-26-2017, 04:08 PM   #1755
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

"First of all, I'd like to thank the academy" ...

https://streamable.com/llbu4
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2017, 04:10 PM   #1756
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol, pathetic really.
Old 04-26-2017, 04:30 PM   #1757
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Clutch win for Spurs against Palace. Given the longer term issues for Palace this might not sound like a big deal, but they were solid and gave it a shot in the first half in particular. Next up Sunday morning is the North London Derby, which has a few implications. Of course Spurs need the win to keep the pressure on Chelsea. A victory for Spurs would also lock up them finishing above Ar5ena1 for the first time since 1995. Oh and its the last NLD at White Hart Lane. Huge game!
they are a typical big Sam side, very well organized and solid

the Sakho injury hurt them I think

took a worldie from Eriksen to get the win

the NLD should be great, if Everton somehow get a result vs Chelsea saturday the stakes will be extremely high, atmosphere should be great
Old 04-27-2017, 08:47 AM   #1758
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Happy third anniversary to 'the slip'
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2017, 09:35 AM   #1759
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

Quote:

I sure hope they don't get relegated, but apparently the tax issues are rather serious.

Just thinking about it is...rather taxing.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:21 AM   #1760
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper is King View Post
I sure hope they don't get relegated, but apparently the tax issues are rather serious.

Just thinking about it is...rather taxing.
Maybe you can cheer for Fulham next year? (Or you could just put the whole debacle behind you and cheer for Spurs!)