Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-02-2014, 05:23 PM   #221
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post

Also, looks like we may have a stud joining the MNT team soon. 17 year old Canigglia Ginola Elva of Calgary SW United is currently on trial at Arsenal, and has attracted interest from Barcelona, Benfica and Stuttgart (who have already offered him a contract). Was born in St. Lucia, currently looking to get his passport and play for Les Rouges.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2014/02/26...nds-arsenal-fc
His highlight reel:

Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mango For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2014, 09:45 AM   #222
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
Sorry, I meant if you took 20 random Canadian athletes vs 20 random American athletes, we would destroy them at soccer. Canadians are simply better at soccer than America. I know this because I was on the provincial team in the 90s, and we played the American team, and used to destroy them 20-1, 15-0, 17-3, etc.

The problem is Canada lets it's star players like Owen Hargraves play for other coutries, but America imports much of it's talent from the 3rd world.
Hmm...I played on the provincial team in the 90's too, and we certainly never played any American teams, and never even heard of team Alberta playing exhibitions against American teams. Maybe you were there before me, as I played in the late 90's, but that seems strange...and the final scores seem even more strange/hard to believe. UBC (back-to-back national CIS champs) have gone down to the states and beaten up on division 1 NCAA teams. They even beat the Vancouver Whitecaps in an exhibition game last year. It wasn't their full starting squad, but I would say half of them were...so where's the disconnect? You can even watch that game on the Canada West website.

Even still, youth success clearly doesn't translate into national success. A large part of it is that Canadian's have never had anywhere to go once they reach adulthood, outside of the CIS, or a couple PDL/NASL teams...and now a couple MLS teams.

On another note, it looks like Calgary might be getting another PDL team, or are at least trying to in the near future. Hopefully it doesn't fold right away again!
MillerTime GFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:49 AM   #223
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime GFG View Post
On another note, it looks like Calgary might be getting another PDL team, or are at least trying to in the near future. Hopefully it doesn't fold right away again!
Yup, Calgary's PDL team received the CSA's approval yesterday.

http://the11.ca/2014/03/06/csa-appro...the-next-step/

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2014, 11:37 AM   #224
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm glad to see that Foothills will be at the helm. Both because that's my old club, and because they're one of the best youth clubs in the country, if not the best. I think Tommy will do well with them as well.

Only question is...where will they play? At the Subway soccer centre once the stadium is finished? Hearing so many conflicting reports on what that will look like...ie seating capacity/turf vs grass, etc.
Old 03-06-2014, 02:39 PM   #225
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Is there a promotion/relegation system in North America for the lower leagues sans the MLS? Or will Calgary stuck at the PDL level forever?
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 03:16 PM   #226
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

There is no promotion/relegation system like there is in the EPL/Bundesliga etc. Teams can go from the NASL to the MLS though if the league is looking to expand and said teams can come up with the capital/prove they can support a team in that league. (ie. Montreal Impact/Vancouver Whitecaps)
Old 03-06-2014, 04:24 PM   #227
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm glad to see that Foothills will be at the helm. Both because that's my old club, and because they're one of the best youth clubs in the country, if not the best. I think Tommy will do well with them as well.

Only question is...where will they play? At the Subway soccer centre once the stadium is finished? Hearing so many conflicting reports on what that will look like...ie seating capacity/turf vs grass, etc.
I'm hearing Option 1 is Hellard Field (at Shouldice). Option 2 is Foothills Track. Neither are great options, but they are probably the best options in the city, sadly.

Old 03-06-2014, 04:38 PM   #228
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
I'm hearing Option 1 is Hellard Field (at Shouldice). Option 2 is Foothills Track. Neither are great options, but they are probably the best options in the city, sadly.
Has the drainage turf issue been fixed at Hellard? I remember playing on there last season and it was such a mess. The turf was bubbling up.

Would it be possible to play at SAIT? The field there is such a great facility. I think it's one of the best in the city. I'm surprised the seating hasn't somehow been expanded, but maybe it's not possible due to space/infrastructure issues.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 05:50 PM   #229
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
Has the drainage turf issue been fixed at Hellard? I remember playing on there last season and it was such a mess. The turf was bubbling up.
That turf is downright dangerous. Hopefully they get it fixed.
M*A*S*H 4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 06:29 PM   #230
scottish_flame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post

Would it be possible to play at SAIT? The field there is such a great facility. I think it's one of the best in the city. I'm surprised the seating hasn't somehow been expanded, but maybe it's not possible due to space/infrastructure issues.
Sait is a good field to play on. I found most of The fields in Calgary a poor standard.

When I played for lethbridge fc we always used to do well against against foothills despite them being provincial and Canadian champions
scottish_flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 06:45 PM   #231
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

MRU/broadview are really only the 2 good grass fields in Calgary. Sait is good, but it's still turf.

Would be nice if they could play somewhere without football lines.
Old 03-06-2014, 06:58 PM   #232
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
MRU/broadview are really only the 2 good grass fields in Calgary. Sait is good, but it's still turf.

Calgary Rugby Park in the SE would be the spot you're looking for, but it's location leaves a lot to be desired

Old 03-07-2014, 09:20 AM   #233
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

That looks nice...never been there. Where abouts is it that makes it a poor location?
Old 03-07-2014, 10:43 AM   #234
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That looks nice...never been there. Where abouts is it that makes it a poor location?
It is in the old Shepard industrial area, so it isn't really close to anything - no residential nearby, poor transit access, etc. Despite those downsides, I'd rather watch a game there than at McMahon.

SAIT is a really nice pitch (for an artificial one), but adding seats would be tricky. But the location is stellar. Central, on the c-train line, great view, etc.

I believe that Hellard is being repaired, but the football lines are headache inducing for soccer. But again, better than nothing. I have complained to my sister (who works in the parks department) about the football lines being obscenely and unnecessarily bright on those fields, which reduces the experience for other sports. While she agrees, she's not in a position to make those kind of decisions...
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:03 AM   #235
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Playing on a field with football lines is actually not very difficult. In fact, it makes things easier in some ways - ie. knowing exactly how far 10 yards is for free-kicks, yet at the same time making it harder to cheat on the walls!

I think it just cheapens the product though. It gives the appearance that it's so low-budget that they have to play on a turf football field. I'd really like to know what their plans are at the soccer centre for the new outdoor fields they're building, although it's not the greatest location either.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:09 AM   #236
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Playing on a field with football lines is actually not very difficult. In fact, it makes things easier in some ways - ie. knowing exactly how far 10 yards is for free-kicks, yet at the same time making it harder to cheat on the walls.
My biggest complaint about playing soccer on football lines is that the football sideline is so thick and bright, and it usually 5 yards inside of the faint, yellow afterthought of a soccer sideline. The football lines are just way brighter than paint on grass would ever be. A few shades "dimmer" on the football lines would be nicer for soccer while not diminishing the football experience either.

But I fully agree with you about it looking bush league, from a spectators point of view.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 12:23 PM   #237
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
Sorry, I meant if you took 20 random Canadian athletes vs 20 random American athletes, we would destroy them at soccer. Canadians are simply better at soccer than America. I know this because I was on the provincial team in the 90s, and we played the American team, and used to destroy them 20-1, 15-0, 17-3, etc.

The problem is Canada lets it's star players like Owen Hargraves play for other coutries, but America imports much of it's talent from the 3rd world.
What do you mean by "let them"?

They should have given him a spot on the senior team when he was 16 &
imo, CSF f***ked that up.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 12:26 PM   #238
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Played a third of my games at Broadview this past summer. God that field is getting beat to ##### with so much traffic.

The undisputed top field is MRU 1. They just never let CUSA/ASA play on it.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 12:45 PM   #239
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Im playing organized soccer for the first time since junior high this spring and these posts have me giddy with excitement. Although it will probably be pretty bad...
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to polak For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2014, 12:58 PM   #240
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Played a third of my games at Broadview this past summer. God that field is getting beat to ##### with so much traffic.

The undisputed top field is MRU 1. They just never let CUSA/ASA play on it.
Ya I find broadview gets pretty chewed up a couple months into the season. I always thought only AMSL should play on that pitch. But now that I'm not in the AMSL, my opinion has changed.

MRU is great. I played on it their first season in the CIS. It would be even better though if they actually aerated it though! Believe it or not, that grass almost never gets cut because it really doesn't even need to...of course I loved it that we were the only ones to play on it, as the field stayed in pretty good shape.