Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2017, 07:17 PM   #21
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd like Stajan, Chiasson, and Engelland back.

Brouwer needs to upgrade his game.

Bouma, how soon we forget, was a fan favourite but seems to have lost his mojo. His punishing game style only lasts a short time.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 07:25 PM   #22
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Stajan
Brouwer
Bouma

1. They will want to get rid of the Brouwer contract but won't be able to, including the expansion draft

2. They would prefer to keep Chaisson over Bouma, but will end up stuck with Bouma and won't want to buy anyone out this season.
In regards to point #1, by "they" you mean the fans right? Or have i missed a news story where it says the Flames want to dump Brouwer?

As for the OP, Brouwer will be one of two players on the Flames roster, the other? Chiasson. Even when he was poo he still played better than Bouma.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 07:33 PM   #23
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hopefully four. Brouwer or Bouma gone to Vegas. I think Engelland will be back.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 07:34 PM   #24
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

@dammage79 - I figured management will want to dump him on Vegas if they'll let him. There wouldn't be a news story on that, the Flames are too classy to be making public statements of that nature.

Number one right winger has become our second biggest need behind goaltending and they will likely realize that Brouwer being a bottom six right winger at $4.5 simply doesn't work in the cap structure and will seriously limit our ability to properly pay for one to elevate Gaudreau and make us a true contender.

Last edited by jayswin; 05-21-2017 at 07:36 PM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 07:39 PM   #25
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Brouwer
Bouma
Chiasson

Vegas takes Stajan, Engelland signs elsewhere
It's eerie how you always state my thoughts exactly before I have a chance to respond.

Get out of my head!!!
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2017, 07:53 PM   #26
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Poor Stajan and Chiasson, getting grouped in with the other three.
Included Stajan because he could be taken by Vegas in the ED and Chiasson is an RFA
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 08:20 PM   #27
fanman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
One: Chiasson. Stajan willing​ be a healthy scratch, Bouma will have been traded, Engelland will walk, and Brouwer will have been taken by Vegans.
I know Brouwer didn't have a great season but he deserves a better fate than that.
Where will they take him?! Is there some kind of commune somewhere? So many questions.

To answer the OP, I think it'll be Chiasson and Brouwer. I hope I'm wrong but I don't see anyone picking up Brouwer. I also think they find a way to bring back Engeland.

Stajan and Bouma might start the season but will soon be rotated out of the lineup or sent down.
fanman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fanman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2017, 08:29 PM   #28
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanman View Post
I know Brouwer didn't have a great season but he deserves a better fate than that.
Where will they take him?! Is there some kind of commune somewhere? So many questions.
I would say that they'd eat him, but they're vegans... haha oh my

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 08:50 PM   #29
Clarkey
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Engelland Edmonton...
Clarkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 08:56 PM   #30
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Engelland and Gulutzan are tight. I wouldn't rule out Engelland taking an assistant's position if he decides to hang 'em up. Being 35 and playing a rough-and-tumble game takes its toll. And from what I understand, he's been a very good mentor to younger players.

That said, being a permanent resident of Las Vegas is a factor.

Keep in mind, these are just my personal observations.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2017, 08:58 PM   #31
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkey View Post
Engelland Edmonton...
Oh man I hope not.

Edmonton is the main reason the Flames need Engelland and I really hope they re-sign him.

And if not him, they really better find someone else who can take a shift and not get pushed around by Kassian/Lucic/Maroon.

RougeUnderoos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RougeUnderoos For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2017, 09:00 PM   #32
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stajan will be the only one with Bouma getting spot duty but ultimately spends most of the year down on the farm team. Brouwer to Vegas, they let Chiasson go, and Engellend signs elsewhere
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 09:21 PM   #33
Flamefan1
Backup Goalie

Exp:
Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
Stajan
Brouwer
Bouma
Chiasson
Engelland

Mods add a poll please.
We all like Stajan, but his time is done in Calgary. We have a better, cheaper option in Jankowski. Vegas will not select him in the draft, but Brad may try to trade him to Vegas as part of a trade.

Engelland has been great for the Flames, but he too has passed his best before date. We need to start playing our young guys and let them mature in the line-up as teams like the Ducks and Predators do. Please re-sign Stone and no more retreads like Wideman and Grossman.

No Chiasson please. He is fast and big, but nothing else there.

Bouma is fine to have as a 13 th forward.

I think Brouwer will be much better in 2nd year, but he is the only forward Vegas might take if Kulak or Wotherspoon are not taken. Most likely Vegas will take Wotherspoon or Kulak.
Flamefan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 09:22 PM   #34
doctajones428
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Well... the post in question was an opinion, so to call it incorrect is rather Orwellian of you, wouldn't you say?
Stajan is on the opening night roster if he's scratched, so it was incorrect
doctajones428 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to doctajones428 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2017, 09:28 PM   #35
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamefan1 View Post
him in the draft, but Brad may try to trade him to Vegas as part of a trade.

Engelland has been great for the Flames, but he too has passed his best before date. We need to start playing our young guys and let them mature in the line-up as teams like the Ducks and Predators do. Please re-sign Stone and no more retreads like Wideman and Grossman.
Engelland hasn't passed his best before date for next season, it's just that he'll a)command more than we should be willing to pay for a bottom pairing D-man, despite everything he brings and B) will want term, which likely would bring him passed his best before date.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2017, 06:10 AM   #36
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Opening night? Just two, but that's because one is injured and another is temporarily replaced by a prospect that will later be sent down.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 08:16 AM   #37
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
One: Chiasson. Stajan willing​ be a healthy scratch, Bouma will have been traded, Engelland will walk, and Brouwer will have been taken by Vegans.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 08:51 AM   #38
Mister Yamoto
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'll guess three but I'm hoping it's all 5.

Stajan, Brouwer, and Bouma will all be back because they are signed and nobody else would want them.

I'd like to see Engelland and Chaisson back but neither are signed and they could even be taken by Vegans.

Engelland is by far the most important player listed. The Flames D is soft and easy to play against. It would be tough to see the only one who consistently plays with some jam gone. I'm fine with the Flames overpaying on Engelland.
Mister Yamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 09:53 AM   #39
hillspeak
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Vegas will take Kulak and not take Stajan or Brouwer and they will both be in the line up.

Bouma will have to have a great preseason to stick with team. If not he will most likely clear waivers and see time in Stockton.

Chaisson will sign a one year deal near $1M and be back on 4th line. He did have double digital goals and is a big body. Both Gully and Dave Cameron have coached and is a solider for them.

As much as we need Engelland's size, aggressiveness and leadership I can't see him beinresigned unless it was to be a number 7 Dman and taking a big pay cut. His options will be to play at home in Vegas and wear an "A" or play number 7 on team like the Pens.
hillspeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 12:24 PM   #40
spennywalks
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I dont understand the thinking of some on here. We ALL want to get rid of Brouwer and Bouma, but that is for a reason. They are not good NHL players on bad contracts what makes others so certain other teams would be willing to take them on. Personally i cannot see them being moved... same goes for Stajan, not as bad but still making too much money.
spennywalks is offline   Reply With Quote