Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 05:04 PM   #61
Clarkey
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If true, Jarome lecturing Phaneuf on his defensive responsibilities vs personal totals is hypocritical.
Old 05-25-2017, 05:08 PM   #62
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess it is that time of the year where there are off days with nothing to talk about and the quality of threads goes ways down...

It was pretty obvious from watching him that Phaneuf had incredibly skill but had issues learning systems, positioning and defence. The rest of the OP is just rumours.
Old 05-25-2017, 06:02 PM   #63
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dion definitely was a music maestro. Maybe his teammates were just jealous.

Old 05-25-2017, 06:18 PM   #64
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh, my own personal theory was that it got personal with Daryl. Dion was certainly not learning and definitely liked the hits instead of picking his points but there wasn't even a murmur of a possible deal until it happened. If he was truly shopped to every team, given his name and age at the time, it'd have been leaked, 100%. Daryl played with the other man in the old boys club and sent him to the biggest hockey market where Dion would be critiqued. Remember how much Daryl liked him when he was drafted and what he turned into in the end days with the club? Toronto was enamored with his potential and size and Daryl, thinking addition by subtraction and teaching him a lesson that he wasn't as valuable as he thought he was, dealt him for peanuts. Make no mistake, at the time it was peanuts. The fact that there wasn't even any future picks or real mid-end young players coming back showed that this was personal because there's no way that could've been seen as a nice deal for giving up a young player that most seen as high potential. No GM would be that bad a negotiator. Sure Stajan has stuck around for a very long time but the return should've been much greater.
The Following User Says Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2017, 06:24 PM   #65
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToewsFan View Post
Considering the fact that Phaneuf went from being named Leafs captain in 2010 to getting dealt for scraps just five years later, a sign that maybe Toronto had unrealistic expectations of him. It fits the authors narrative.
Five years is a long time. And come on, your "author" is a poster on HF.
Old 05-25-2017, 06:30 PM   #66
Nage Waza
Offered up a bag of cans for a custom user title

Exp:

I would have thought mods would have deleted this thread. Unsubstantiated gossip about a player?
The Following User Says Thank You to Nage Waza For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2017, 06:39 PM   #67
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
Oh, my own personal theory was that it got personal with Daryl. Dion was certainly not learning and definitely liked the hits instead of picking his points but there wasn't even a murmur of a possible deal until it happened. If he was truly shopped to every team, given his name and age at the time, it'd have been leaked, 100%. Daryl played with the other man in the old boys club and sent him to the biggest hockey market where Dion would be critiqued. Remember how much Daryl liked him when he was drafted and what he turned into in the end days with the club? Toronto was enamored with his potential and size and Daryl, thinking addition by subtraction and teaching him a lesson that he wasn't as valuable as he thought he was, dealt him for peanuts. Make no mistake, at the time it was peanuts. The fact that there wasn't even any future picks or real mid-end young players coming back showed that this was personal because there's no way that could've been seen as a nice deal for giving up a young player that most seen as high potential. No GM would be that bad a negotiator. Sure Stajan has stuck around for a very long time but the return should've been much greater.
The reason it wasn't for picks was because under sutter's management the team was all in every year and didn't value draft picks at all, a crucial component of the eventual decline of the team under brent and hartley.

From his first draft to his last draft as GM, the Flames drafted:

Spoiler!

That's friggin' awful. Not a single second round draft pick used in his first 4 seasons at the draft.

Nah, Darryl Dealt Dion (huzzah!) for warm bodies and roster players because he and the team didn't--and arguably still don't--value picks appropriately.

Last edited by Flash Walken; 05-25-2017 at 06:41 PM.
Old 05-25-2017, 07:02 PM   #68
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post

I disagree firmly there wasn't a murmur about a deal. The Flames were front and center of the rumor mill as that season was an 18 wheeler going off a cliff after Christmas into January. Phaneuf was always the player that was being discussed as the piece that was going out. I agree no one said Toronto until it happened but the trade rumors were rampant.

I recall similar stories coming out after the deal that other teams were upset they didn't know about the deal and it simply was a pathetic trade. A 24 year old Dman that was a season and a half removed from 60pts and a Norris nomination traded to the second worst team in the league for their crappy second line depth players makes absolutely no sense.

When Sutter secured Bouwmeester he should have moved Phaneuf for a package that included a 2010 first and a top prospect (perhaps we could have got the Seguin pick before Boston traded Kessel to the Leafs) and re-signed Cammalleri Reading the OP it all sounds plausible and it makes me more upset that Sutter didn't move Dion as soon as he was able to sign Bouw. At the start of the 09/10 season the Flames 4th highest paid forward was Bourque and he made $1.3M. Langkow was at $4.5, Jokinen at $5.25 and Iggy at $7. On D we had Sarich at $3.6M, Regehr at $4, Dion at $6.5 and Bouw at $6.68. Kipper was at $5.8M so way too much money tied up in the back end.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:19 PM   #69
drewtastic
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Dion Phaneuf: His time in Calgary

Hm. PP goal late for Pens. Phaneuf in box. (Is this relevant?)
The Following User Says Thank You to drewtastic For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2017, 08:36 PM   #70
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

I thought there was a policy on unsubstantiated rumours.
The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2017, 09:04 PM   #71
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Whatever, I too enjoyed his highlight reels

Give me a guy who likes watching himself over a guy who I'm not even sure enjoys playing hockey *cough*Bouwmeester*cough*, any day
Old 05-25-2017, 09:10 PM   #72
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm sure he's matured as a person over the years, but i still always see him on the nightly highlight reel standing beside the net doing nothing as the other team puts the puck in the net.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:11 PM   #73
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
Whatever, I too enjoyed his highlight reels

Give me a guy who likes watching himself over a guy who I'm not even sure enjoys playing hockey *cough*Bouwmeester*cough*, any day
Not sure what this thread has to do with Bouwmeester, but since you brought him up. I'd rather neither and take Regehr. Nicer highlight reel hits and less defensive stupidity.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:17 PM   #74
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
Not sure what this thread has to do with Bouwmeester, but since you brought him up. I'd rather neither and take Regehr. Nicer highlight reel hits and less defensive stupidity.
Phaneuf was traded the same season Bouw was acquired for.

Point was I like entertaining players.... and I'll mention whoever I want, thanks.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:21 PM   #75
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
Phaneuf was traded the same season Bouw was acquired for.

Point was I like entertaining players.... and I'll mention whoever I want, thanks.
Rumour at the time was they had to choose between keeping Regehr or Phaneuf. They made the right choice at the time.

Of course you can mention anyone you want, just not sure the point of it. You're welcome, I guess?
Old 05-25-2017, 09:42 PM   #76
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I liked watching phaneuf's highlights too.

No complaints.

Old 05-25-2017, 09:46 PM   #77
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

kabooom

Old 05-25-2017, 09:55 PM   #78
drewtastic
First Line Centre

Exp:

At this point, can we re-title this thread "I Like Matt Stajan"...?
The Following User Says Thank You to drewtastic For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2017, 10:55 PM   #79
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewtastic View Post
At this point, can we re-title this thread "I Like Matt Stajan"...?
No. Because there already is this one.

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...ht=Matt+Stajan
Old 05-26-2017, 01:22 AM   #80
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I believe Phaneuf lost a step after his hip injury. He used to be able to pull away from players from behind the net. After the injury he couldn't.
Closed Thread