Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2017, 12:12 PM   #241
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Update as of 10 AM this morning has the NDP leading in Courtenay/Comox by 101 votes.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 12:38 PM   #242
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Update as of 10 AM this morning has the NDP leading in Courtenay/Comox by 101 votes.
There are still 900 votes left to be counted here. I wish they would have just pulled an all nighter and gotten this done. It's tough to guess where the remaining votes will go, but the absentee ballots have been dominated by the NDP across the province. They are now 1,723 votes behind the Liberals for the popular vote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 12:40 PM   #243
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
There are still 900 votes left to be counted here. I wish they would have just pulled an all nighter and gotten this done. It's tough to guess where the remaining votes will go, but the absentee ballots have been dominated by the NDP across the province. They are now 1,723 votes behind the Liberals for the popular vote.
People would have bitched about taxpayer dollars being wasted on overtime for Elections BC workers if they had done that.
Old 05-24-2017, 01:07 PM   #244
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

12 PM update: NDP leads in Courtenay/Comow by 148.

Overall popular vote is now BC LIBs 40.36%, BC NDP 40.28%.
Old 05-24-2017, 01:38 PM   #245
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, for whatever reason absentee ballots have tended to skew towards the NDP and Greens the last few elections so NDP increasing their lead in Courtenay-Comox isn't particularly surprising.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 02:58 PM   #246
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

oooohhh, this is getting interesting now.
B.C. Greens agree to support NDP in minority legislature
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ticle35147472/
Quote:
B.C.’s Green Party has reached an agreement with the New Democrats to topple the government of Premier Christy Clark.
The agreement, which will be announced at 2 p.m. PT, would see the Greens and New Democrats use their combined one-seat majority in the legislature to bring down the BC Liberals.
The announcement ends weeks of negotiations between the Greens and both parties to either prop up the Liberals or give the New Democrats the power to form government after 16 years in Opposition.
The May 9 election gave the Liberals just 43 seats in the House. The NDP have 41 seats and the Greens have three.
They will vote non confidence. Clark will ask for a new election and will certainly be denied. They'll need to have every member in attendance every day to avoid the house falling again.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jacks For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2017, 03:02 PM   #247
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Yeah, BC's going to be going to the polls within six months, regardless.

Amusingly, Sun Media's tokent lefty, Warren Kinsella, is calling this "dirty backroom politics" because they "can't win the old fashioned way". That's quite the hot take.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 03:08 PM   #248
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
oooohhh, this is getting interesting now.
B.C. Greens agree to support NDP in minority legislature
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ticle35147472/

They will vote non confidence. Clark will ask for a new election and will certainly be denied. They'll need to have every member in attendance every day to avoid the house falling again.
I'm assuming that they'll last long enough to get to the budget.

I would expect that there will be an election within the next 3 months.

A NDP/Green coalition would be a disaster for Alberta interests

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2017, 03:09 PM   #249
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the NDP elect one of their own as speaker he/she may have to vote to break a tie on everything.
Old 05-29-2017, 03:12 PM   #250
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I'm assuming that they'll last long enough to get to the budget.
As soon as they recall the legislature they can be defeated on the Throne Speech.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I would expect that there will be an election within the next 3 months.
If there was ever a case for the Lt. Gov denying a new election this would be it. The 2nd place party having almost as many seats as the winning party, all they have to do is show stable support from the Greens and there is no reason to deny them the chance to govern. If they put a Green in cabinet that should do it.

I agree it will be a disaster for us. Might be a nightmare for the feds too, they may be forced to push through pipelines without the NDP/Green governments agreement.
Old 05-29-2017, 03:17 PM   #251
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Greens grasping at their only chance of ever having power, and a pipeline they will try and shut down.

Not surprising.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 03:18 PM   #252
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Amusingly, Sun Media's tokent lefty, Warren Kinsella, is calling this "dirty backroom politics" because they "can't win the old fashioned way". That's quite the hot take.
Oh, Warren Kinsella isn't a lefty... not really. He's only a liberal when someone is paying him to be a liberal. He's the Alan Colmes of the Canadian media scene.

It is backroom politics but I wouldn't call it dirty. I think this is a bad move on the part of the Greens (unless they got proportional representation out of it). Don't they compete more with the NDP then they do with the provincial Liberals? If the NDP do a good job then folk lose incentive to support the Greens over them, if they do a poor job then they'll have to wear it alongside them. Strikes me as a no win situation.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Parallex For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2017, 03:20 PM   #253
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also I think its silly that 2 parties that can't form a minority or majority government can unite to usurp power. That doesn't seem like democracy to me.
Old 05-29-2017, 03:24 PM   #254
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Damn I hate this country (i.e. certain segments of the population) sometimes.

We have all the resources in the world to provide prosperity to our children and generations to come, but nope.

Maybe I am out of touch. With every passing day it is quickly becoming apparent I have less in common with my fellow Canadians.
Manhattanboy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Manhattanboy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2017, 03:25 PM   #255
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Also I think its silly that 2 parties that can't form a minority or majority government can unite to usurp power. That doesn't seem like democracy to me.
Well politicians regularly go back on campaign promises that get them elected so the entire democratic process has always been somewhat broken.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 03:30 PM   #256
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Yeah, BC's going to be going to the polls within six months, regardless.

As a person who voted for the Liberals, I don't understand that. Kinsella is saying that because the Liberals won the most seats, they should get to govern. If this was a majority, I'd agree. Since it's a minority I think other things need to come into play. If they NDP and Greens form a coalition, they have 44 seats to the Liberals 43 seats. That's a majority of the seats, and 57% of the popular vote. I don't get how that can be seen as dirty.

Now if the Liberals had 40 seats, and a coalition between 2 parties didn't beat those 40 seats, or still was a minority, then I think the Liberals should still have the power. This is a situation if there were some independents and/or other parties besides the main three parties from this year.

The Liberals had the same opportunity to form a coalition with the Greens. With 46 seats, they could have given the greens a cabinet position, named one of their own the speaker, and never had a problem with any vote, assuming everyone showed up.

I do not think I'll enjoy a government run by the NDP and Greens, but there are many other people that voted to not have a Liberal run government. I think the voting process was fair, and the results should obviously stand. I hope the coalition doesn't compromise the province during their time in power. I hope the Liberals work hard in the next four years, and give a better platform for 2021. This assumes there is no early election.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2017, 03:32 PM   #257
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Why not? Happens in parliamentary governments all over the world. We don't elect parties, we elect representatives. The representatives choose the shape of the government. There are very few if any NDP or Green voters who are upset with this move.
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2017, 03:36 PM   #258
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Usurp?

Quote:
u·surp
verb

-take (a position of power or importance) illegally or by force.
-take the place of (someone in a position of power) illegally: supplant.
-encroach or infringe upon (someone's rights).
Slow your roll there. Combined they have 44 seats which is precisely the number that they'll need. Parliamentary democracy is defined entirely by who can command the confidence of the legislative house.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 03:36 PM   #259
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It seems counterintuitive that 2 groups of people that hold such different ideals that they belong to 2 different parties join forces to have power.

But seems par for the course in government.

Again, remember, they are only joining together to have power. That doesn't seem right to me.
Old 05-29-2017, 03:37 PM   #260
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Wha?

The two parties just did form a minority government.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote