Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2014, 04:47 PM   #121
J pold
Franchise Player

Exp:

For the first time ever I’ve been trying to gain weight. Male 6’4.

Back in April I was down to my lowest at 205 pounds. Once I hit that goal I started eating more and spending more time in the gym and ended up at 215 and roughly 17% body fat in late July. I’ve always been told I was “skinny” so for the first time I want to try a real bulk. My goal is 3,500 calories, and 200 grams of protein a day while doing a push/pull routine 4 times a week. I started eating this way at the start of August and am already up to 219 and have noticed gains in muscle, and fat. I plan on staying on this routine until January and have put a max cap on my weight at 230 pound 21% body fat.

Anyone have good tips for bulking?
J pold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 04:59 PM   #122
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

205lbs and 6'4" is considered skinny? Maybe I am misreading your post.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 05:17 PM   #123
J pold
Franchise Player

Exp:

I never really thought so but have been told regularly by multiple people that I look skinny at that weight, even at 215.
J pold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 05:26 PM   #124
SHOGUN
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J pold View Post

Back in April I was down to my lowest at 205 pounds. Once I hit that goal I started eating more and spending more time in the gym and ended up at 215 and roughly 17% body fat in late July. I’ve always been told I was “skinny” so for the first time I want to try a real bulk. My goal is 3,500 calories, and 200 grams of protein a day while doing a push/pull routine 4 times a week. I started eating this way at the start of August and am already up to 219 and have noticed gains in muscle, and fat. I plan on staying on this routine until January and have put a max cap on my weight at 230 pound 21% body fat.

The goal of a solid bulking regimen is to maximize muscle gain with minimal fat gain. If you know your maintenance calories, increase it by 300-400 calories at most.. anymore than that from personal experience, you will probably add on unnecessary fat. However, this depends on your body type and how your metabolism efficiency is. The most important part is to track and measure each week to make sure you're not gaining too much fat from bulking.
SHOGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SHOGUN For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2014, 06:06 PM   #125
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybosh View Post
205lbs and 6'4" is considered skinny? Maybe I am misreading your post.
Long arms/long legs might have something to do with it. Jankowski is over 200lbs as well, and he looks skinny based on the latest photo I saw. Similar height.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 06:26 PM   #126
Devils'Advocate
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminator View Post
I have low Vitamin D I supplement with 5-15K a day depending on how many pills i'm willing to swollow.
Since switching to the chocolate flavour, I haven't missed a day.
Devils'Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 12:22 AM   #127
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I never really thought so but have been told regularly by multiple people that I look skinny at that weight, even at 215.
Are the people calling you "skinny" by any chance overweight or people with self body image issues trying to make themselves feel better about themselves?

Also, sometimes people use skinny to attempt a compliment, especially after weight loss. What they don't understand is for those of us who spent their teenage years more on the underweight side of things, that being skinny likely caused just as much image issues for us as being overweight did for some. As some one who spent their teens feeling underweight trying to bulk up, to all of a sudden needing to drop a few in my 30s and then doing so to some degree, some people have now told me I'm looking skinny as a compliment to the weight loss. They don't understand that for me hearing that word causes a negative reaction that simply choosing "thin" instead wouldn't cause.

That said, I do agree with the other poster that for some people at that height, 205 could be too thin, while others it's a good weight.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cleveland Steam Whistle For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2014, 12:29 AM   #128
t0rrent98
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

wish I could reach 205. I'm 6' and weigh about 155lbs.

CPHL Dallas Stars
t0rrent98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 04:01 AM   #129
TjRhythmic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'm 6'5 and trying to get down to about 215... a solid 215. I'm a soft 235-240 now
TjRhythmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:41 AM   #130
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I agree with everything Shogun said about bulking. The difference between proper clean bulking and maintenance is often a lot less than people think. Simply eliminating cardio (assuming you are already performing cario regularly) or increasing caloric intake by 500 or so above maintenance is enough.

I also dont think there is much sense in bulking unless you are starting very lean- under 10% BF sort of thing. It can be very difficult, and time consuming, to shed the fat and retain the muscle once bulk is complete if you put on too much fat. The purpose of a bulk is to have a net gain of muscle after you finish your post bulk cutting phase.

People are free to do what they want, but imo, more guys at the gym should be cutting instead of being on the perpetual bulk. One will look much bigger and muscular at a very lean 185 than they will at a puffy 200.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flabbibulin For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2014, 01:59 PM   #131
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Anyone have any good resources for mass gaining work out plans that allow for a decent amount of activity? I got Squash and Soccer weekly so I was just going to forget about my bi-yearly "lets try and gain 15 pounds" kick but I really would like to... Only thing is I'm expecting that everything I read is going to just tell me I'll have to eat 5 billion calories, which I simply can't do unless I decide to smoke weed every day...

ugh.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 02:30 PM   #132
SHOGUN
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
Anyone have any good resources for mass gaining work out plans that allow for a decent amount of activity? I got Squash and Soccer weekly so I was just going to forget about my bi-yearly "lets try and gain 15 pounds" kick but I really would like to... Only thing is I'm expecting that everything I read is going to just tell me I'll have to eat 5 billion calories, which I simply can't do unless I decide to smoke weed every day...

ugh.
Well if you want to gain weight, you need to eat.. simple as that. Especially if you're very active with sports and adding additional weight training, you will need to consume a lot of calories daily.

If you have trouble reaching those calories, I would recommend eating calorie dense foods like white bread, cheese, nuts, fats and shakes.

As for a weight training routine, I recommend this one: http://rippedbody.jp/the-big-3-routine/

Last edited by SHOGUN; 08-26-2014 at 02:34 PM.
SHOGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 02:09 PM   #133
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

so here is my progress
PIMking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 09:32 PM   #134
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Huge difference. Up to 183lbs
PIMking is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PIMking For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2014, 09:47 PM   #135
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

I start my first Fitocracy class tomorrow. Time to do this.
WhiteTiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 10:07 AM   #136
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've just started a workout program. Body weight routine 3 times a week and I will eventually start doing a dumbbell and/or barbell routine. I am 5'-9" 150lbs and I would definitely like to add mass. I am not trying to jump in with both feet but instead start gradual and build routine (workout and diet). With diet I have started to cut down the carbs and increase the protein, fruit and veggies. I don't think I have weighed over 155lbs in my life. So it's hard for me to gain weight.

Reading a website for skinny guys looking to gain muscle it recommended that you drink a super shake everyday as it's an easy way to start. Super shake consisting of ice/fruit/spinach/protein powder/nut or seed/liquid. Does that seems like a good place to start? Also I haven't been eating much after my workout (done in the evening). I see that there are recovery powders (mix with milk or water) and I admit the ease of that is nice. Or should I use the protein shake as my post workout or something else?
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 10:33 AM   #137
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post
I've just started a workout program. Body weight routine 3 times a week and I will eventually start doing a dumbbell and/or barbell routine. I am 5'-9" 150lbs and I would definitely like to add mass. I am not trying to jump in with both feet but instead start gradual and build routine (workout and diet). With diet I have started to cut down the carbs and increase the protein, fruit and veggies. I don't think I have weighed over 155lbs in my life. So it's hard for me to gain weight.

Reading a website for skinny guys looking to gain muscle it recommended that you drink a super shake everyday as it's an easy way to start. Super shake consisting of ice/fruit/spinach/protein powder/nut or seed/liquid. Does that seems like a good place to start? Also I haven't been eating much after my workout (done in the evening). I see that there are recovery powders (mix with milk or water) and I admit the ease of that is nice. Or should I use the protein shake as my post workout or something else?
Unless you eat at a calorific surplus, weight gain just isn't going to happen. No way around it. When I started working out, I took a lot of protein shakes and supplements, as I found it difficult to eat that amount of calories. Over time I've kind of transitioned from using protein supplements, to being able to handle eating the large amount of food I need.

Eating right after a workout or later during the day won't affect whether more nutrients get absorbed or not. As long as you meet your calorie goals throughout the day you'll be fine.

A great way to get calories throughout the day is to snack on peanuts.

1/3 of a cup has about 320 calories. I bring 2/3 of a cup to work with me and snack thru the day on them. They are also quite healthy.

Diet is the #1 thing that will allow you to gain mass. Working out will allow your body to transform a portion of your diet into muscle. You will gain fat alongside it, which is why its important to track your calories with an app like Myfitnesspal. Calculate your TDEE from a site like this.

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

You need to eat at about 300-400 calories above that TDEE, while working out, to gain muscle. Input that number into myfitnesspal and track what you eat. I never did track my food intake at the start, and I wish I did.

http://www.reddit.com/r/fitness/ has a great community for advice on fitness and reaching your calorie requirements. The FAQ/Wiki on the right of the page has some fantastic advice.

Last edited by Huntingwhale; 09-16-2014 at 10:38 AM.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2014, 10:42 AM   #138
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post

Where did you get your body wgt routine, or did you make it up yourself?

Mind sharing it?

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 12:34 PM   #139
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
Unless you eat at a calorific surplus, weight gain just isn't going to happen. No way around it. When I started working out, I took a lot of protein shakes and supplements, as I found it difficult to eat that amount of calories. Over time I've kind of transitioned from using protein supplements, to being able to handle eating the large amount of food I need.

Eating right after a workout or later during the day won't affect whether more nutrients get absorbed or not. As long as you meet your calorie goals throughout the day you'll be fine.

A great way to get calories throughout the day is to snack on peanuts.

1/3 of a cup has about 320 calories. I bring 2/3 of a cup to work with me and snack thru the day on them. They are also quite healthy.

Diet is the #1 thing that will allow you to gain mass. Working out will allow your body to transform a portion of your diet into muscle. You will gain fat alongside it, which is why its important to track your calories with an app like Myfitnesspal. Calculate your TDEE from a site like this.

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

You need to eat at about 300-400 calories above that TDEE, while working out, to gain muscle. Input that number into myfitnesspal and track what you eat. I never did track my food intake at the start, and I wish I did.

http://www.reddit.com/r/fitness/ has a great community for advice on fitness and reaching your calorie requirements. The FAQ/Wiki on the right of the page has some fantastic advice.
I am already keeping track of my food, but I am not counting calories just yet. I understand the basics of gaining mass and eating more calories, it's just hard to eat more food. I think I would rather drink a protein shake with fruit and such than 2/3 a cups of peanuts everyday. But it sounds like you are saying that starting off with a protein shake might work and try to transition that into real food later?
Old 09-16-2014, 12:41 PM   #140
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Where did you get your body wgt routine, or did you make it up yourself?

Mind sharing it?
I've signed up for this course.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/academy-overview-page/

It's $99 and it focuses on the mindset, diet and workout. It clearly has a nerdy/video game style to it, which I like. But it explains a lot of things in easy to understand language. The workouts are nothing fancy, I am sure you could find the same one on the internet. They like compound movements and progressive overload. They have workout programs for bodyweight, dumbbells and barbells.
The Following User Says Thank You to Burninator For This Useful Post: