Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2011, 01:26 PM   #1
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Wireless home theatre systems

I am getting rid of my Bose Acoustimass 6 speaker system to try to get rid of some of the wires for my new setup. I am looking for a setup in which the 2 rear speakers are wireless.

I saw this one on the weekend Samsung HT-C653W Wireless 5.1 but some of the reviews of it arent great.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with these, or if they have seen/read reviews of one. Thanks.

mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 06:13 PM   #2
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fiance's dad has this and it was set up by geek squad. I'm not a big fan of it at all, my samsung HT-C5500 is better I think. His has a delay that is noticeable and the sometimes you have to flip back and forth for the audio to work.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:18 PM   #3
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a similar setup to this Sony one.
The rear speakers are wireless and I have no complaints.

http://www.sonystyle.ca/webapp/wcs/s...ditionalImage1

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Regulator75 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2011, 07:19 PM   #4
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulator75 View Post
I have a similar setup to this Sony one.
The rear speakers are wireless and I have no complaints.

http://www.sonystyle.ca/webapp/wcs/s...ditionalImage1

the rears are bridged together by wires though correct?
Old 03-21-2011, 07:25 PM   #5
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^^ yeah they run behind my couch.

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 07:27 PM   #6
Pilsner12
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykalberta View Post
I am getting rid of my Bose Acoustimass 6 speaker system to try to get rid of some of the wires for my new setup. I am looking for a setup in which the 2 rear speakers are wireless.

I saw this one on the weekend Samsung HT-C653W Wireless 5.1 but some of the reviews of it arent great.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with these, or if they have seen/read reviews of one. Thanks.

You can always use a wireless adaptor kit like this.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/...8d02bddb53en02

Bose makes one as well.

http://www.bose.ca/controller?url=/s...sories/sl2.jsp

I personally am not a fan of the HTIB (home theatre in a box) systems. I think you would be much happier with the sound quality of your AM6 system based on experience.
Pilsner12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 07:38 PM   #7
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulator75 View Post
^^^ yeah they run behind my couch.
It's a great system but for her dads to go surround it has to be in HDMI2 and mine I have it on AUX and I can control the sound from: movies, stereo, Music, Prog..... But his doesn't seem to have the power either.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:53 PM   #8
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIMking View Post
Fiance's dad has this and it was set up by geek squad. I'm not a big fan of it at all, my samsung HT-C5500 is better I think. His has a delay that is noticeable and the sometimes you have to flip back and forth for the audio to work.
Any idea what the difference is between this and the Sony? Futureshop has this on sale this week.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:01 PM   #9
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Any idea what the difference is between this and the Sony? Futureshop has this on sale this week.
IDK honestly; I am willing to bet that his isn't set up correctly and couple that with Comcast Cable and you have one giant fail.

I just haven't found the time to go over to his house and look at it to see what isn't right. I just cant seem to think my $300 system out performs his $800 system when they're pretty close to the same stuff. His has two HDMI inputs and mine only has one; but both are blu ray and both have the same options other than power.

This is Mine: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_305HTC5...419&tab=review

Old 03-21-2011, 10:02 PM   #10
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also I don't know if his came with the auto tune deal. Mine came with this microphone that had a 20' cord that you put on the couch where you sit and the system will automatically adjust for where the speakers are located and set up automatically. I thought that feature was awesome.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:57 PM   #11
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has anyone had any issues with the wireless speakers interfering with your wireless network? I have been trying to read everything I can before going into the store and taking a look.

I like all the features of the Samsung and especially the fact that the front panel is hidden until you put your finger on it. I also like the subwoofer is very small, with my setup its hard to hide a large subwoofer like the sony. The downside is it has no HDMI input and only 1 optical input.

Compared to the sony which has 2 optical input, 2 hdmi input

The Samsung can be worked around, but its much less expandable, example if I buy an Xbox how would I connect it and digital cable audio to the device at the same time,

Have you used the USB function on the Samsung? Do you find it has good support for playing video files?

Thanks.

Last edited by mykalberta; 03-22-2011 at 08:00 PM.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:57 PM   #12
Pilsner12
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Has anyone had any issues with the wireless speakers interfering with your wireless network? I have been trying to read everything I can before going into the store and taking a look.

I like all the features of the Samsung and especially the fact that the front panel is hidden until you put your finger on it. I also like the subwoofer is very small, with my setup its hard to hide a large subwoofer like the sony. The downside is it has no HDMI input and only 1 optical input.

Compared to the sony which has 2 optical input, 2 hdmi input

The Samsung can be worked around, but its much less expandable, example if I buy an Xbox how would I connect it and digital cable audio to the device at the same time,

Have you used the USB function on the Samsung? Do you find it has good support for playing video files?

Thanks.
Shouldn't cause a problem with a wireless network the signal is typically transferred through infared. Expandability is one of the biggest downsides to HTIB"s. I would go with the one that is the most expandable. You can always buy an audio/video switcher but they are $100 and up for a decent one.
Pilsner12 is offline   Reply With Quote