Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2011, 08:11 AM   #1
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Lost my iPhone

Over the weekend I realized I lost my iPhone 4 (fffffuuuuuu) - I did not have the app on MobileMe installed. I tried calling myself several times, but nobody answered - I then decided to have Rogers shut my phone down.

I have retraced my steps where I thought I lost it and no luck.

I am assuming I am screwed here - but does anyone have any suggestions on something I could do to find my phone - I was thinking in the case that someone tried to plug it into thier PC and update it or something. I was thinking of going to the apple store and crying in some faint hope that they might give me a new phone - although i am a guy and i don't expect that to work at all.....
Northendzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:26 AM   #2
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Sometimes the apple store people are overly accommodating but I think in this case you are probably screwed. Sorry man.

For anybody else who hasn't enabled the free "find my iPhone" feature, let this thread be your kick in the ass. It takes about 3 minutes.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/find-my-iphone-setup/

Last edited by Russic; 03-21-2011 at 08:28 AM.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:32 AM   #3
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i thought this app costs something like $99 per year?
Old 03-21-2011, 08:34 AM   #4
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Find my iPhone is now free for iPhone 4 users and has been for a bit. Typically it was part of the mobileme package which is 99$/year, but they made that specific feature available to the masses for free.
silentsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:52 AM   #5
Scoopdogg
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I just setup the MobileMe account. Its very quick and easy to do and a must for any iPhone owner.
Scoopdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:03 AM   #6
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentsim View Post
Find my iPhone is now free for iPhone 4 users and has been for a bit. Typically it was part of the mobileme package which is 99$/year, but they made that specific feature available to the masses for free.

fffffffuuuuukkkkkk!!!! - I guessed I missed that app being available for free - stupid me!!!!

oh well i guess in two years or so when I am availible for an equipment upgrade I can get an iPhone 9.......

maybe it will turn up....
Old 03-21-2011, 09:03 AM   #7
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Why not send yourself a text message (link) and give the finder your contact info and mention of a reward?

And for everybody else- get the "find my iPhone" setup.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:31 AM   #8
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i sent myself an e-mail - but I did password protect my phone, so whomever has it will have to do a little bit of work to access it.

i don't think the text message would work, because I asked Rogers to shut the phone down for all data, incoming/outgoing calls etc.....
Old 03-21-2011, 12:03 PM   #9
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentsim View Post
If you have an iPhone 3 or 3GS you can still get find my iphone for free, but you need an iPhone 4 or an iPad to set up the account. Just run through the steps on one of the newer devices and it will link your account to the feature. Delete the account off the device when you're done (some people even set this up in an apple store using a demo unit).
Old 03-21-2011, 12:34 PM   #10
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Just installed MobileMe. Thanks guys! Sorry to hear you lost your phone.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 07:14 PM   #11
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

just to close the loop - i did some checking with rogers and they offered me an iPhone 3 - 8g for $300 less a $100 in billing credits.......seemed to me to be the cheapest way to escape this mess i created for myself as it would have been ~ $650 for a new iPhone4 - 32g.......buying out my contract would have been $500 and switching to the cheapest plan and letting them hold my number would have been $40'ish per month........

In some ways I'll sure be chapped if my old phone reappears.....
Old 03-21-2011, 08:19 PM   #12
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Just another idea if anybody is interested, it was dead easy to add my iPhone (and iPad and wife's iPhone) to my house insurance. I'm covered for all damage including "mysterious disappearance" without a deductible. Costs me about $75 for all 3 devices per year.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:58 PM   #13
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Depending on your insurance you might not want to make a claim on something like an iPad. I know at Meloche I'd be giving up a "no claims" discount that exceeds the price of an iPad for at least a year, maybe more.

Better to try going through credit card insurance policies if you can.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2011, 09:35 AM   #14
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

hhhmmm - never thought of the credit card insurnace. although when i got the phone i paid for it with a combination of a mall gift card and my visa - it will be interesting to see what the folks at my credit card company say as a new phone is ~$600 - but I paid about a $100 for it on my card - and par tof the cost was the fees charged by rogers.