Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2011, 07:27 AM   #1
renny
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Anyone else experiencing iPhone alarm problems since DST??

I have an iPhone 4 with 4.2 firmware installed. And ever since DST my recurring alarm has been going off 1 hour early every single day. I've tried the hard reset and all that jazz and it still hasn't fixed the problem. Apple has been... let's just say less than helpful.

Is anybody else out there experiencing this? Anybody successfully get it fixed?

renny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 07:53 AM   #2
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I use mine everyday as I have naps before work and my alarm has worked fine every time.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 07:55 AM   #3
renny
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

is yours a recurring alarm or a one time alarm? it really sucks cause i'm waking up an hour early every single day i guess it was especially painful this morning after all that green beer i consumed last night! lol

Old 03-18-2011, 07:56 AM   #4
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe upgrade to 4.3?
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:14 AM   #5
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm having the same issue Renny. Damn thing waked me up and hour early every day!
I haven't tried reseting it, or updating or anything. If I figure it out, I'll post it here.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 10:01 AM   #6
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

why not just set your alarm one hour late?
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 10:03 AM   #7
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by renny View Post
I have an iPhone 4 with 4.2 firmware installed. And ever since DST my recurring alarm has been going off 1 hour early every single day. I've tried the hard reset and all that jazz and it still hasn't fixed the problem. Apple has been... let's just say less than helpful.

Is anybody else out there experiencing this? Anybody successfully get it fixed?
I've been having this problem as well. It's really pissing me off.

I have a 3GS.

Last edited by Kybosh; 03-18-2011 at 10:12 AM.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 10:48 AM   #8
ah123
First Line Centre

Exp:

It seems many people are having the problem...

http://www.tuaw.com/2011/03/14/more-...lems-reported/

Fortunately, my iPhone is behaving properly...
ah123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:47 AM   #9
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have an iPhone 4 - IOS4.3 (Telus)

Had a lot of trouble with my phone back in Fall when we gained an hour, but my phone seemed to go through the spring forward without a hitch.

Apparently iPhones using Verizon's network suffered this problem - not sure if the problem was in the IOS code or on the network's side of things.

Apple has got to be one of the least responsive software companies out there. It takes months if not years for them to even recognize bugs, and then it's a crap shoot if they deign to fix them. "Of course it's fixed, just buy our new platform and you'll be set!". /grumble
llama64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:50 AM   #10
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I had a weird thing with it on Fido.. Sunday it was fine, showing the right time. Monday morning got up at what seemed like a reasonable hour, got the kid ready to go, then noticed all the clocks seemed wrong again.. checked my phone, said 8:30am but it was really 9:30am! Late for school.

By the time I got to school, my phone was right again so I had no evidence.
photon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 12:43 PM   #11
Flaming Choy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

same problem here, I stopped using reoccurring alarms and it works. Don't know how you can mess up an alarm, but I guess Apple found a way (for some people, not all).
Flaming Choy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 12:51 PM   #12
FlamesKickAss
Franchise Player

Exp:

it's weird that only some phones have this problem. I have a recurring alarm and its worked fine.
FlamesKickAss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 02:30 PM   #13
MacGruber
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Although I've never had this issue, I've had dozens of issues with my iphone. I scoff when I hear how amazing apple is, and how it "just works" now. Truth is Apple products are just as buggy as unreliable as everything else.
MacGruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 02:39 PM   #14
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGruber View Post
Although I've never had this issue, I've had dozens of issues with my iphone. I scoff when I hear how amazing apple is, and how it "just works" now. Truth is Apple products are just as buggy as unreliable as everything else.
I don't own an iPhone or and Android phone, but when I read the related threads on CP about each product. Half (or more) the Android thread is about phones/ROMs/stuff not working. The iPhone threads have far less of the same type of discussion.

Nothing is perfect, especially when consumer grade electronics built for affordable cost are involved. Working doesn't imply perfection, not by a long shot.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:41 PM   #15
MacGruber
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
I don't own an iPhone or and Android phone, but when I read the related threads on CP about each product. Half (or more) the Android thread is about phones/ROMs/stuff not working. The iPhone threads have far less of the same type of discussion.

Nothing is perfect, especially when consumer grade electronics built for affordable cost are involved. Working doesn't imply perfection, not by a long shot.
Oh agreed. I dont want to make it seem like my iphone, ipods, etc, are all buggy and a disaster. It just seems though that there's a false sense of working perfection out there for apple stuff. That's all I'm sayin'
MacGruber is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MacGruber For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2011, 02:44 PM   #16
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

I had this problem as well, upgrading to 4.3 fixed it.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 10:12 PM   #17
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
I had a weird thing with it on Fido.. Sunday it was fine, showing the right time. Monday morning got up at what seemed like a reasonable hour, got the kid ready to go, then noticed all the clocks seemed wrong again.. checked my phone, said 8:30am but it was really 9:30am! Late for school.

By the time I got to school, my phone was right again so I had no evidence.
Hmmmm, that sounds maybe like a tower problem or something. I have no clue how they synchronize the time on the network, but it might make sense that maybe each tower has its own clock that needs to be pushed forward or back? Who knows.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:23 PM   #18
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nothing much to add, but mine went ahead 2 hours last week instead of 1, so I rebooted it and it had the right time.
Old 03-19-2011, 02:49 AM   #19
renny
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
why not just set your alarm one hour late?
well there's always the fear that it suddenly fixes itself overnight and then i'm 1 hour late for work which would be worse.

Anyways, just an update, I upgraded to 4.3 but I'm still seeing the same issue. So I'm not sure it's a firmware issue. Last time when we rolled our clocks back a simple reboot fixed the issue, but this time it's just lingering on and on, it totally sucks.

Old 03-19-2011, 10:53 AM   #20
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by renny View Post
well there's always the fear that it suddenly fixes itself overnight and then i'm 1 hour late for work which would be worse.

Anyways, just an update, I upgraded to 4.3 but I'm still seeing the same issue. So I'm not sure it's a firmware issue. Last time when we rolled our clocks back a simple reboot fixed the issue, but this time it's just lingering on and on, it totally sucks.
I know this might sound crazy, but they make things called alarm clocks and sell them for about $5 at Walmart. I do understand it is a an extra expenditure, but if I could pay 5 bucks to have an extra hour of sleep, I would be sold. Add in the fact that this has been going on for a week now, makes it a no brainer to me.