Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2011, 04:58 PM   #1
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Buying a smartphone

As much as I love technology I'm not a cell phone fan and have dreaded upgrading my phone which may or may not pre-date the days that cell phones came with cameras. So what's on the market and what's good is not my forte.

As my current phone has pretty much kicked the bucket, I'm in the market for a new one and I was looking for some suggestions on what's decent.

Not overly interested in blackberry (unless there's some compelling arguments), and definately do not want an iphone.

Some requirements:
- must be able to act as a wifi hotspot (I assume this is the same as tethering?) for an ipod touch and ipad. Preferrably without having to jailbreak anything.
- must be available through bell, possibly telus due to cell phone coverage restraints. Would prefer to stick with Bell, however.

Looking at the different models on the web, I'm leaning towards the HTC desire.

Thoughts/opinions/help!?

Thanks!
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 05:00 PM   #2
Finner
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Samsung Galaxy S can tether through a wifi hotspot and is available through bell.

Great phone too.
Finner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Finner For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2011, 05:03 PM   #3
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Samsung Galaxy S
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2011, 05:04 PM   #4
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
As much as I love technology I'm not a cell phone fan and have dreaded upgrading my phone which may or may not pre-date the days that cell phones came with cameras. So what's on the market and what's good is not my forte.

As my current phone has pretty much kicked the bucket, I'm in the market for a new one and I was looking for some suggestions on what's decent.

Not overly interested in blackberry (unless there's some compelling arguments), and definately do not want an iphone.

Some requirements:
- must be able to act as a wifi hotspot (I assume this is the same as tethering?) for an ipod touch and ipad. Preferrably without having to jailbreak anything.
- must be available through bell, possibly telus due to cell phone coverage restraints. Would prefer to stick with Bell, however.

Looking at the different models on the web, I'm leaning towards the HTC desire.

Thoughts/opinions/help!?

Thanks!
Any reason on the no to an iPhone 4? Noting you currently have an iPod touch and iPad, getting an iPhone would give you the ability to have access to the same apps that you have purchased for the other devices, instead of having to re-buy them on another platform.
silentsim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to silentsim For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2011, 05:09 PM   #5
Finner
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentsim View Post
Any reason on the no to an iPhone 4? Noting you currently have an iPod touch and iPad, getting an iPhone would give you the ability to have access to the same apps that you have purchased for the other devices, instead of having to re-buy them on another platform.
He stated he wanted wireless tethering. In order to access that feature on iPhone you have to jailbreak.
The Following User Says Thank You to Finner For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2011, 05:10 PM   #6
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finner View Post
He stated he wanted wireless tethering. In order to access that feature on iPhone you have to jailbreak.
No you don't. It's now standard in iOS 4.3.

It doesn't really matter which phone the guy goes with, but let's at least be accurate about things.

Last edited by FanIn80; 03-14-2011 at 05:18 PM.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2011, 05:17 PM   #7
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Maybe it's price ? Who knows.

I am not a contract guy, I won't let any of Bell, Rogers, or Telus lock me into some silly contract. And the thought of paying almost 800 bucks for a phone is insane for me (no contract, 32 gig iphone 4). A similar Samsung Galaxy S is 500 bucks, no contract.

There are the two best phones on the market though, can't go wrong with either. The openness of the Andriod would swing me that way though.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2011, 05:18 PM   #8
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Any reason on the no to an iPhone 4?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finner View Post
^That's a big one right there. I've tried tethering my ipad with some co workers. One has a samsung which we figured out how to do in about 30 seconds. We never did get it to work with the iphone. I like the apple OS, but the devices often frustrate me. I fail to see why they would want to prevent three devices that I purchased from apple from communicating with each other.

Also, after using a few friend's phones, I'm just not a huge fan of the iphone. I wouldn't be able to pin point exactly what it is.

I also like the idea of having a flash enabled device, be able to run a snes emulator, and a few other things that the ipod does not offer.

As I doubt I'll use the current apps i have on my ipad & touch on a cell phone anyways, so purchasing new apps for the a different OS isn't a huge deal.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:19 PM   #9
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
No you don't. It's now standard in iOS 4.3
Interesting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Maybe it's price ? Who knows.
I am not a contract guy, I won't let any of Bell, Rogers, or Telus lock me into some silly contract.
Price isn't a huge deal breaker. I hate contracts for phones. I'm currently paying for one I can't use (which is why this one has to be bell or telus). However Bell has a heluva deal on right now. They dropped the monthly price, and include a my10 instead of my5.

Last edited by DownhillGoat; 03-14-2011 at 05:25 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:19 PM   #10
bomber317
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
There are the two best phones on the market though, can't go wrong with either. The openness of the Andriod would swing me that way though.
What about the HTC Desire HD? Also looking around for a new phone and came across that.
bomber317 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bomber317 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2011, 05:22 PM   #11
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
Interesting...
http://www.apple.com/ios

Scroll down till you see the section on Personal Hotspot.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2011, 05:24 PM   #12
Finner
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
No you don't. It's now standard in iOS 4.3.

It doesn't really matter which phone the guy goes with, but let's at least be accurate about things.
Oh, sorry about that. Last had read up on the iPhone in December/January and i know at that point you were unable to, and that official support for it had been removed, didn't realize apple had added it back in.

Thanks for the update, didn't mean to me inaccurate.

Last edited by Finner; 03-14-2011 at 05:27 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:27 PM   #13
QuadCityImages
Scoring Winger

Exp:

If he already has an iPod Touch anyway, and gets a phone with tethering, what is he really missing out on from the iPhone? Depending on how new of a Touch it is, at least...

The phone part has never been the iPhone's best feature anyway. If he's already got the apps, browser and music playing capabilities, why would he need a 2nd/3rd iOS device?
QuadCityImages is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to QuadCityImages For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2011, 05:27 PM   #14
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I wouldn't consider owning an iPhone just for iTunes alone.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tinordi For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2011, 05:29 PM   #15
Yorkshire Flame
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadCityImages View Post
The phone part has never been the iPhone's best feature anyway. If he's already got the apps, browser and music playing capabilities, why would he need a 2nd/3rd iOS device?
Because then you don't have to carry both. That was a huge reason for me.
Yorkshire Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 12:32 PM   #16
Jing
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

There are two new phones coming to Telus and Bell (I think those networks were mentioned earlier) that I would consider.

The Samsung Fascinate 4g - Comes with android 2.2, bigger battery then the other galaxy s phones, and can achieve faster download speeds.

HTC Incredible S - much like the HTC desire HD but in a more managable form factor (4" screen vs 4.3" screen). Also battery is bigger then the DHD so you should get pretty decent battery life.

I own a DHD, and dont mind the bigger size and battery life is fine for me.
Jing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jing For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2011, 01:03 PM   #17
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jing View Post
There are two new phones coming to Telus and Bell (I think those networks were mentioned earlier) that I would consider.
2 questions : Will a 4g phone work on a 3g tower? And are there any release dates for the ones you suggested?

I also found out Motorola is releasing the Atrix on Bell. Don't know much about it, but looking at the motorola site it may be more than I'll need in a phone.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:07 PM   #18
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

I was talking to a Rogers corporate rep not long ago and asked about 4g, he indicated we won't see 4g for a good 2 years from any carrier in Alberta. Take that for what it is worth.

If you are buying the phone from either Telus or Bell it will work on their 3g network, you just won't get 4g speed.
Hanni is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hanni For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2011, 04:12 PM   #19
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

if you're on Bell and not too worried about price, then i'd definitely look at the new Motorola Atrix

http://atrix.bell.ca/en/

it's currently the most powerful phone on the market and has some pretty awesome accessories with the laptop and multimedia dock
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2011, 05:14 PM   #20
Jing
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanni View Post
I was talking to a Rogers corporate rep not long ago and asked about 4g, he indicated we won't see 4g for a good 2 years from any carrier in Alberta. Take that for what it is worth.

If you are buying the phone from either Telus or Bell it will work on their 3g network, you just won't get 4g speed.
True 4g, yes, but they have rebranded HSDPA+ to 4g.

Most standard 3g phones run at 7.2 mb/s download speeds, whereas now you have phones like the Desire HD (14.4 mb/s) and Fascinate 4g (21 mb/s). Will you hit these numbers? Probably not, but it will be faster than a standard 3g phone.
Jing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jing For This Useful Post: