Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2011, 09:29 AM   #41
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Only $100 to upgrade to a 128GB SSD, that's a surprise too.

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:30 AM   #42
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Wow, I didn't even see that. Nice!

Edit: Wait, where do you see that? I see it at $200 in the CAD store.

Edit: Oh, nm. I see it now. The 128GB SSD on the 17" and the upgraded 15" is $100, but $200 on all the others.

Last edited by FanIn80; 02-24-2011 at 09:37 AM.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:35 AM   #43
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
Wow, I didn't even see that. Nice!

Edit: Wait, where do you see that? I see it at $200 in the CAD store.
Uh it was on the high-end 15". Probably that low because it comes with the 750GB drive.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:37 AM   #44
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Damn, you beat my ninja-edit.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:49 AM   #45
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

As noted, Big upgrade for the 13". Not as significant as the 15, 17", but still nice.

If it was a significant upgrade for the 17 i'd be disappointed as I bought mine souped up a while ago but alas it is not
silentsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:23 AM   #46
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentsim View Post
As noted, Big upgrade for the 13". Not as significant as the 15, 17", but still nice.
Hmm I woulda said the other way around...

The 15"s double the cores and get performance-class graphics.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:27 AM   #47
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickMcGeough View Post
Hmm I woulda said the other way around...

The 15"s double the cores and get performance-class graphics.
True, but you were able to get an i7 previously on the 15, while the 13 was stuck on a Core 2 Duo/

edit: just saw the 13" is only dual core, for some reason in my head thought i read quad-core

Last edited by silentsim; 02-24-2011 at 11:36 AM.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:06 PM   #48
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just picked up the 15" i7 6750M.

Damn you Apple.

Old 02-24-2011, 02:15 PM   #49
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Holy fata they are expensive. Well, there goes my plan on buying one in May. Motorcycle instead it is then.

They do look nice though.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:48 PM   #50
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Is the Intel HD graphics in the 13" an upgrade on the Nvidia in the 2010 MBP model?
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 03:02 PM   #51
Jayems
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just grabbed the 13" 2.7. Loving it so far.. first post to CP on it! diddy diddy whoop whoop.
Jayems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 04:36 PM   #52
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

All I can say is Mac store employees are a bunch of morons. On the phone I asked if they had any of the high-res display ones in stock. The guy says that they've got the anti-glare ones, but not the glossy. We head into the Mac store, tell them we want one of the high-res models. The guy on the floor says that they don't have the anti-glare ones, but do have the glossy. We set up all the other specs, and he inputs them into the order system. I say, wait, that's the high res model, right? Of course, he's says, with a patronizing tone. I let my wife take care of the purchasing, (it's her laptop), and then a half-hour later I look at the box. Hell, it's the standard-def model. So I go back to the store and ask what the deal is. He didn't even realize that there was a high-def glossy version of it available until I pointed the option out on the website. So it's an option that's not available in-store, which I can accept. But if he had spent even 30 seconds listening to what we wanted rather than trying repeatedly to sell us some stupid training package that we made it clear we didn't want, he wouldn't have wasted our time as well as his own.
I shouldn't say all mac-store employees are a bunch of morons. I've had some good experiences, but honestly it seems 50-50 at best, and the Chinook location seems to be far less on-the-ball than Market Mall.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:36 PM   #53
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-bo09 View Post
Is the Intel HD graphics in the 13" an upgrade on the Nvidia in the 2010 MBP model?
Popular consensus is that it's roughly equivalent. Notebookcheck does some benchmarks that have it above the 320M and the ATI 5470 in a lot of benchmarks.

The Following User Says Thank You to MickMcGeough For This Useful Post:
Jbo
Old 02-24-2011, 10:04 PM   #54
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by octothorp View Post
All I can say is Mac store employees are a bunch of morons. On the phone I asked if they had any of the high-res display ones in stock. The guy says that they've got the anti-glare ones, but not the glossy. We head into the Mac store, tell them we want one of the high-res models. The guy on the floor says that they don't have the anti-glare ones, but do have the glossy. We set up all the other specs, and he inputs them into the order system. I say, wait, that's the high res model, right? Of course, he's says, with a patronizing tone. I let my wife take care of the purchasing, (it's her laptop), and then a half-hour later I look at the box. Hell, it's the standard-def model. So I go back to the store and ask what the deal is. He didn't even realize that there was a high-def glossy version of it available until I pointed the option out on the website. So it's an option that's not available in-store, which I can accept. But if he had spent even 30 seconds listening to what we wanted rather than trying repeatedly to sell us some stupid training package that we made it clear we didn't want, he wouldn't have wasted our time as well as his own.
I shouldn't say all mac-store employees are a bunch of morons. I've had some good experiences, but honestly it seems 50-50 at best, and the Chinook location seems to be far less on-the-ball than Market Mall.
So did you end up keeping the laptop or did they refund you? I would have demanded a refund right there and them take it back. Not your fault the guy is an idiot and is selling you something he is clearly lying about. Hopefully you got your money back.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:06 PM   #55
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Justin 3 View Post
So did you end up keeping the laptop or did they refund you? I would have demanded a refund right there and them take it back. Not your fault the guy is an idiot and is selling you something he is clearly lying about. Hopefully you got your money back.
They do refunds with no restocking fee anymore so I don't see a reason why they wouldn't..
Old 02-24-2011, 10:38 PM   #56
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Of course he got his money back.

What's the deal with the lying part, though? Sure he was ignorant and annoyingly careless, but I doubt very much that the guy was knowingly lying about the screen resolution.

Last edited by FanIn80; 02-24-2011 at 10:42 PM.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:10 AM   #57
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hmm weird. I haven't had a bad experience at an Apple Store yet. I bought my first Mac from Best Buy and swore I wouldn't do that again.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:24 AM   #58
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-bo09 View Post
Also: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1102927

Old 02-25-2011, 08:36 AM   #59
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Holy fata they are expensive. Well, there goes my plan on buying one in May. Motorcycle instead it is then.

They do look nice though.
They aren't really a whole lot different than last years models. They run about $250 more, but the upgrades are probably worth it.

On the flip side of the coin, why the F are you offered Aperture along with your Mac for $200 when it's only $80 in the app store? I understand Apple is in the business of making money, but they don't usually do things that deceptive.

Last edited by Russic; 02-25-2011 at 08:40 AM.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:23 AM   #60
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Meh. Where's the BluRay? Where's the 1080p on the 15inch model? Why is a MacBook Pro, which is supposed to be a high end machine for 'Pros' still shipping with a 5400rpm drive default? Last I checked it's 2011 and many competitors have this technology in their high end laptops. Sure, there is the Mac experience, but is it worth that much more when Microsoft has made big leaps in usability with Windows 7?

And, before you Mac fanboys pile on me, I own a 2008 MacBook Pro 15, which I bought used, so I do use an Apple product. But I'm about to sell it, so then my only Apple product will be my work iPhone.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote