Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2011, 09:42 AM   #1
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default GPS Units

I tried to run a search on this topic and did not have much success in finding anything.

We are taking a driving trip to Seattle soon and neither one of us have been there before. The other day a guy at work suggested that I pick up a cheap GPS system.

I did some quick on-line shopping and noted that both Futureshop and Walmart had a Garmin 255 for $99 and $88 respectively.

Anyone have any thoughts recommendations on this unit - or a GPS in general. Most of the places we drive we know - but I was thinking that something that is easily portable would be nice if I ever had to rent a car or if we go on another road trip.
Northendzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:53 AM   #2
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
I tried to run a search on this topic and did not have much success in finding anything.

We are taking a driving trip to Seattle soon and neither one of us have been there before. The other day a guy at work suggested that I pick up a cheap GPS system.

I did some quick on-line shopping and noted that both Futureshop and Walmart had a Garmin 255 for $99 and $88 respectively.

Anyone have any thoughts recommendations on this unit - or a GPS in general. Most of the places we drive we know - but I was thinking that something that is easily portable would be nice if I ever had to rent a car or if we go on another road trip.
Buy the Navigon app for your iPhone. It's only ~$60 and is way better than a cheap Garmin (I have a cheap Garmin). Mind you, I've only used it within Calgary so I can't comment on its effectiveness outside of the city.

I read about your rough luck with losing your iPhone 4, but maybe putting your GPS budget towards a better replacement phone and buying the app will be a win-win?
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:55 AM   #3
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I don't know which model I have but I picked up a garmin a couple of years ago with Blue Tooth and it was a reall good investment for me.

You just have to make sure that you keep your maps up to date.

Wherever I travel I take it with me and it makes navigating a breeze.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:01 AM   #4
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

I had a Garmin 265T and I love it. I picked it up on sale at Walmart a few years ago. Bluetooth mean I can link it to my cellphone & use it as a hands free device. I take it where ever/whenever I travel. I love that it gives me an ETA for my destination, helps keep me from dilly-dallying when stopped for gas/food/etc.

Only complaint I have is that when searching for POIs it judges them by the way the crow flies and not actually by closest to get to driving. Gives you some wonky search results because technically the closest geographically isn't the closest to get to (or even possible)

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:15 AM   #5
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Buy the Navigon app for your iPhone. It's only ~$60 and is way better than a cheap Garmin (I have a cheap Garmin). Mind you, I've only used it within Calgary so I can't comment on its effectiveness outside of the city.

I read about your rough luck with losing your iPhone 4, but maybe putting your GPS budget towards a better replacement phone and buying the app will be a win-win?
i have since opted to downgrade on the phone to an iphone 3 - however, we are leaving shortly, and i may not get my replacement phone (shipped from rogers) in time.

i guess the only problem with having the app on the phone is that what if the wife is travelling, she would then have to take my phone.....the cost difference between the app and the garmin is not enough to induce me to upgrade my iphone.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:00 PM   #6
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Keep in mind that a cell phone does not actually use GPS satellites; it triangulates your position based on cell towers. So where there is poor or no cell coverage; your GPS will not work.

Add to that the OP is talking about using this in the States; which means potential roaming charges for data use. I just turned on the map feature of my phone and pretended to drive 5 km; I used just over 1 MB of data. A good chunk will be the maps- but there is still going to be some back and forth communication.

The biggest things I have found is spoken street names, and current maps. Also use it in Calgary on routes you know so you can get used to how it gives directions. We used one in LA that would tell us on the freeway to "keep left", so I would make my way to the left lanes of an 8 lane road. Then it tells me to take the next exit (right) in 100 metres. What it meant was "don't accidentally take the exit that is right beside you."
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 03:39 PM   #7
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Keep in mind that a cell phone does not actually use GPS satellites; it triangulates your position based on cell towers. So where there is poor or no cell coverage; your GPS will not work.
Is this true? I'm sure my blackberry uses GPS to supplement and improve the location from the cell tower method. I think I can even change the settings to use pure GPS for locations.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:55 PM   #8
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post

Add to that the OP is talking about using this in the States; which means potential roaming charges for data use. I just turned on the map feature of my phone and pretended to drive 5 km; I used just over 1 MB of data. A good chunk will be the maps- but there is still going to be some back and forth communication.

The biggest things I have found is spoken street names, and current maps. Also use it in Calgary on routes you know so you can get used to how it gives directions. We used one in LA that would tell us on the freeway to "keep left", so I would make my way to the left lanes of an 8 lane road. Then it tells me to take the next exit (right) in 100 metres. What it meant was "don't accidentally take the exit that is right beside you."
Actually I believe it does both (referred to as "assisted GPS"). You are correct in that you run into problems when the cell signal disappears. You can actually get a gps fix on your location, but if your app requires a connection to load the map (google maps, GPS Drive), you'll only get the blue dot and no map. If your app has maps preloaded though (TomTom, Navigon etc.) it will still work. Mine worked all through the rockies when there was no cell signal.

You are right about traveling in the states though. Sure don't want to be roaming data down there.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2011, 03:59 PM   #9
Misterpants
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I have the 255 and went to Seattle with it to boot! It worked like a charm getting us around downtown Seattle and all the little towns. Our maps were a tad out of date (by a year or so) so there were a couple times when it veered us a strange way or missed an on ramp because they moved it. Only other complaint is the touch interface is laggy and can be sensitive. Well worth $88 bucks to get the piece of mind ind driving to Seattle. BTW, take the route through Leavenworth for a pretty cool scenic drive. Might be pretty snowy right now, but it was beautiful when we went through in May.
Misterpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 04:18 PM   #10
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
Actually I believe it does both (referred to as "assisted GPS"). You are correct in that you run into problems when the cell signal disappears. You can actually get a gps fix on your location, but if your app requires a connection to load the map (google maps, GPS Drive), you'll only get the blue dot and no map. If your app has maps preloaded though (TomTom, Navigon etc.) it will still work. Mine worked all through the rockies when there was no cell signal.

You are right about traveling in the states though. Sure don't want to be roaming data down there.
My understanding is there isn't data roaming charges with the Navigon app in the States. The maps are stored internally and it is just using cell towers to triangulate your position...not actually downloading any data.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:21 AM   #11
WilsonFourTwo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I've had the Nuvi 255W for a few years now. It's a fantastic (not good, but fantastic) device for the price. I've used it in the car, on my motorcycle and even on the boat (just farting around).

Also, since the battery lasts a good 4 or 5 hours per charge, I'll throw it in my daypack and carry it with me when I'm in a new place. It's great for finding the nearest store/restaurant/museum/etc while you're mucking about on foot or public transport.

Another family member has one (same model) and used it for a month in NZ. Grabbed a map-pack and hit the road, no hassle.

At $100, I wouldn't think twice about owning one.

Edit: As for the drive to Seattle, let me recommend Hwy 3 to Yahk BC, Hwy 95 to Coeur D'Alene and then Hwy 90 to Seattle. It's a beautiful trip, and my favorite route via car. That said - the detour through Leavanworth is pretty awesome, time permitting.

Last edited by WilsonFourTwo; 03-23-2011 at 08:31 AM. Reason: Comment on Seattle Route
WilsonFourTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:27 AM   #12
chalms04
First Line Centre

Exp:

+1 for the 255w. Your first map update will be free, but has to be redeemed within a certain time period. Haven't updated mine for a while, whoops.
chalms04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 12:44 PM   #13
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

wound up spending a few more bucks to get a Tom Tom for $139 - I guess what swayed me was the chance to get directions from Darth Vader as I figured that the kids and I would get a few laughs from it......

I figure if I really hate it or it does not work as good as expected, then I'll return it
Old 03-23-2011, 04:31 PM   #14
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
wound up spending a few more bucks to get a Tom Tom for $139 - I guess what swayed me was the chance to get directions from Darth Vader as I figured that the kids and I would get a few laughs from it......

I figure if I really hate it or it does not work as good as expected, then I'll return it
That rules.