Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-25-2012, 05:37 PM   #361
Johnny Rotten
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
Heat beat San Antonio 6-5 tonight after being down 0-3 after just 16 minutes. Kolanos had a 5-point-game (hattrick plus 2 assists), while Walter also had 2 goals and 1 assist. Sylvester had the other goal, Byron and Jessiman both had 2 assists. David Eddy had his first game for Abbotsford and was scoreless. Turner Elson didn't play ... what about Howse, is he injured again?

3-1 Kolanos (20, PP) (Connelly, Walter)
3-2 Sylvester (13) (Kolanos, Byron)
4-3 Kolanos (21) (Byron, Piskula)
4-4 Walter (15) (Estoclet, Jessiman)
4-5 Walter (16, PP) (Kolanos, Jessiman)
4-6 Kolanos (22) (Sylvester, Testwuide)
I hope not, but I can't imagine Howse sitting instead of Aliu; Aliu's been -6 the past two games. Ouch!
Johnny Rotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 02:12 PM   #362
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.abbynews.com/community/143902746.html

Quote:
He said the city is also welcoming a new sponsor, the NHL’s Calgary Flames.

The Flames, the parent club of the Abbotsford Heat, are sponsoring the Canada Day fireworks and entertainment.
Begin the takeover of the Lower Mainland muahahaha!

I don't know what to think of this. Is there going to be a bit of a push back from the public? I mean, how would you Calgary (or Airdrie, Cochrane, Okotoks) folk feel if the Canucks sponsored YOUR Canada Day celebration?

I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens. I sense alot of complaining.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 03:28 PM   #363
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

I assume the sponsorship would be in the name of the Heat, kind of like how Labatt's is the beer supplier for the Saddledome, but you won't find a bottle of Blue anywhere in the building and all the board advertising is for Budweiser.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:18 PM   #364
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Steve O'Rourke has re-joined the Abbotsford Heat after resigning from his duties as General Manager and Head Coach of the BCHL's Langley Rivermen.

From his interview with Pinder it sounds as though his duties will involve whatever Ward wants him to do. A major part of his duties will be looking at video and helping the guys adjust to mistakes they've made, etc.

If you don't remember who O'Rourke was, he was one of Playfair's assistant coaches for the first two years of the Heat.

http://abbotsfordheathub.com/2012/03...ted-with-heat/
The Following User Says Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2012, 03:32 PM   #365
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Small injury update: Laing has been out of the lineup for about a month because of a "severe" cut on his foot. He's expected to draw back into the lineup tomorrow against the Wolves.

Would be nice to get the captain back. He's a real tone-setter for his team.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:45 PM   #366
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre "Monster" McGuire View Post
Small injury update: Laing has been out of the lineup for about a month because of a "severe" cut on his foot. He's expected to draw back into the lineup tomorrow against the Wolves.

Would be nice to get the captain back. He's a real tone-setter for his team.
What about Rheault? Is he still on the shelf?

I don't get to watch the Heat much, but I have a feeling that missing Laing and Rheault for extended periods of time has really hurt the club. They may have weathered the call-up situations much better this season had those two been dressed more often IMO.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:57 PM   #367
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post

I don't get to watch the Heat much, but I have a feeling that missing Laing and Rheault for extended periods of time has really hurt the club. They may have weathered the call-up situations much better this season had those two been dressed more often IMO.
Rheault and Ruesshegger are due back soon.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:23 PM   #368
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post

Yeah, Rheault has been sorely missed by the team. He was on a line with Walter and Kolanos and they were essentially the backbone of the offense. They worked so well together.

Ward was saying on "Wednesdays with Ward" that Rheault is one of their best conditioned players (as evidenced by the results of the off-season physicals), so he is ahead of schedule with getting into shape for games.

As for Laing, the guy's a true leader. He's always talking to the guys out there and is always one of the most physical players out there. Also, now that Bouma's gone, he's probably the Heat's best shot blocker as well.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:22 PM   #369
thymebalm
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Looks like the Heat are sitting in a home playoff spot right now! If they can make a bit of a run at it, the city might start to embrace them (in greater numbers).
Old 03-28-2012, 08:28 PM   #370
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thymebalm View Post
Looks like the Heat are sitting in a home playoff spot right now! If they can make a bit of a run at it, the city might start to embrace them (in greater numbers).
That's definitely the hope....

.... but at the same time, the Heat went to the second round of the playoffs in their first year here and it didn't help from what I can tell.

Oh well, Ryan Walter's really been doing some great things. I'm hoping it's only a matter of time before the city starts buying more tickets.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:41 AM   #371
mennoknight
Scoring Winger

Exp:

IT'S LANNY MCDONALD NIGHT

GONNA WEAR THIS http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...kt/Photo19.jpg
Old 03-29-2012, 03:32 PM   #372
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mennoknight View Post
IT'S LANNY MCDONALD NIGHT

GONNA WEAR THIS http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...kt/Photo19.jpg
Hahahaha awesome. That shirt is the bomb! The Heat Store will also be selling limited edition Lanny t-shirts for $20.

The t-shirt looks like this:

Old 03-29-2012, 03:35 PM   #373
mennoknight
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre "Monster" McGuire View Post
Hahahaha awesome. That shirt is the bomb! The Heat Store will also be selling limited edition Lanny t-shirts for $20.

The t-shirt looks like this:

This is already the 3rd greatest night of my life
Old 03-29-2012, 10:49 PM   #374
Johnny Rotten
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Heat lose 5-4 in shootout to Chicago. They had a 4-3 lead with about 8 mins. left, but Wolves tied it. Heat were outshot 35-23...Kolanos, Piskula, Byron, and Jessiman scored for the Heat. The two teams play again tomorrow night.

At least they got a point, but they don't have much breathing room.

Pierre, were you at the game?

Last edited by Johnny Rotten; 03-29-2012 at 11:05 PM.
Johnny Rotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:11 AM   #375
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

As per Pinder's Twitter, Brady Lamb has signed an ATO and will join the Heat at some point.

Max Reinhart and Joey Leach are now available to join the Heat, but I haven't heard anything definite. Leach doesn't have a Flames contract, but Reinhart does.

Old 03-30-2012, 03:38 AM   #376
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm really starting to wonder why they haven't signed Leach yet, especially since we don't have lots of D-prospects. Leach's junior career has been good and he already possesses an NHL body ... should be a no-brainer really.

And while it's great that the Heat get help: it's unbelievable how many bodies they've got over the course of a couple weeks. Kolanos, Nemisz and Desbiens came back from Calgary, Laing and Byron came back from injury, Elson joined them from junior hockey and Eddy and Lamb joined them from college, and now Reinhart and Leach technically could come in as well. They have a lot of bodies around at the moment, since they also have guys from the ECHL up (Tuzzolino played yesterday, and Ruegsegger is on the shelf). Must be tough to establish some chemistry with so many fresh faces coming in.

Last edited by devo22; 03-30-2012 at 03:42 AM.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 01:36 PM   #377
wireframe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Do any insiders have some thoughts on Connelly? He only has 9 points in 22 games for the Heat - much less than with Rockford this season. Has he been meeting your expectations?
wireframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 01:43 PM   #378
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireframe View Post
Do any insiders have some thoughts on Connelly? He only has 9 points in 22 games for the Heat - much less than with Rockford this season. Has he been meeting your expectations?
I asked Pierre"Monster"Mcguire the same question a couple of weeks ago, this was his reply:

"I think when he came to town he was expected to be on par with Clay Wilson offensively. I wouldn't say he's been on par with him so far. He hasn't been bad, he just hasn't been all that noticeable. I will admit though that he is an important piece to the Heat PP. The opposing team always knew to go to Wilson when he had the puck because he was going to either shoot the puck or go in deep with it. Now they have two guys to focus on.

I believe he's paired with Breen now. Ward's experiment of putting Connelly and Wilson together didn't go very well. They were awful defensively.

Overall, not really much to say about Connelly. He hasn't stood out, but he hasn't been bad either. He is a very small guy though. Kind of surprised me when I saw him for the first time, I thought he was Sylvester haha."
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kyuss275 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2012, 02:01 PM   #379
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Revisiting the clear day roster:

Leland Irving (G)
Danny Taylor (G)
Chris Breen (D)
Brian Connelly (D)
Joe Piskula (D)
J.P Testwuide (D)
Clay Wilson (D)
Akim Aliu (F)
Carter Bancks (F)
Paul Byron (F)
Bryan Cameron (F)
Guillaume Desbiens (F)
Adam Estoclet (F)
Roman Horak (F)
Ryan Howse (F)
Krys Kolanos (F)
Quintin Laing (F) <Injured>
Pierre-Luc Letourneau-Leblond (F)
Greg Nemisz (F)
Jon Rheault (F) <Injured>
Dustin Sylvester (F)
Ben Walter (F)

Up on ATOs and Eligible for Playoffs:
David Eddy (F)
Turner Elson (F)
Brady Lamb (D)

Old 03-30-2012, 09:12 PM   #380
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

About half way through the Heat vs. Wolves game. The Heat are up 3-1 with goals from Nemisz (assisted by Tuzzolino), Kolanos (assists from Laing and Sylvester), and Wilson (assists from Walter and Rheault).

Tags
heat