Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2011, 08:11 PM   #1
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:
Default PS3 Yellow Light of Death

OK, my PS3 40GB just bit the dust with the yellow light of death!

There was a disc inside. How can I get it out?

Also, is there any place that can try to service it locally? Through Sony, it will cost over $150 to service mine.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:22 PM   #2
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Lots of people on Kijiji will do it pretty cheap, I learned how to fix it online and fixed about 5 of them in the last couple of years in the end its pretty easy. In fact the first one I fixed was for a guy who had the game stuck inside and all he wanted was a copy of the game so I bought one and swapped him and ended up with a working PS3 and copy of the game.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:24 PM   #3
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
Lots of people on Kijiji will do it pretty cheap, I learned how to fix it online and fixed about 5 of them in the last couple of years in the end its pretty easy. In fact the first one I fixed was for a guy who had the game stuck inside and all he wanted was a copy of the game so I bought one and swapped him and ended up with a working PS3 and copy of the game.
Can you tell me what online guide you used to fix it?
Old 08-31-2011, 08:25 PM   #4
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

I just did a search in youtube and follwed the instructions. Ended up having to buy a heat gun to do it but thats about it.

This is the guide I used. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U70SgRDVcBo

Last edited by Raekwon; 08-31-2011 at 08:30 PM.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Raekwon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2011, 08:59 AM   #5
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Talk to this guy:
http://killasoft.org/

I took my YLOD'd launch 60GB PS3 to him early afternoon and he had it ready for me to pick up by 9 PM the same day. He's really good at it, guy runs the operation out of his house. Guy lives and breathes this stuff. Cost me $50.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2011, 06:45 PM   #6
Lego Man
Hero

Exp:

My PS3 experienced YLOD first hand today.

Life just isn't fair.

Thanks for the help TorqueDog & Raekwon.
Lego Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 07:53 PM   #7
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I have the PS3 red screen of death. Any ideas guys?
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:39 PM   #8
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like all these launch PS3's are kicking the dust. Mine died off last summer.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:55 PM   #9
Lego Man
Hero

Exp:

How long do these PS3's typically last after the YLOD has been fixed for the first time? I'm gonna open mine up and do it with the guide Raekwon linked here.

If it happens again I'm gonna grab a Slim... so sexy looking!

Also, would replacing the HD with a 7200 contribute to the problem? I replaced my factory HD a few months ago...
Lego Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:09 PM   #10
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpaca View Post
How long do these PS3's typically last after the YLOD has been fixed for the first time? I'm gonna open mine up and do it with the guide Raekwon linked here.

If it happens again I'm gonna grab a Slim... so sexy looking!

Also, would replacing the HD with a 7200 contribute to the problem? I replaced my factory HD a few months ago...
I gave mine to my brother. It didn't last too much longer. Only a couple months.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:50 AM   #11
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Talk to this guy:
http://killasoft.org/

I took my YLOD'd launch 60GB PS3 to him early afternoon and he had it ready for me to pick up by 9 PM the same day. He's really good at it, guy runs the operation out of his house. Guy lives and breathes this stuff. Cost me $50.
He offers a 90 day warrenty that way, or a one year warrenty for $70. I usually avoid extended warrenties, but I'm pondering this one.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:02 PM   #12
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper is King View Post
He offers a 90 day warrenty that way, or a one year warrenty for $70. I usually avoid extended warrenties, but I'm pondering this one.
How can he offer a warranty on what I assume is a re-flow job? It's not exactly gentle on the components, nor is it guaranteed to work in the first place. Re-flowing again may or may not work, so is he going to buy you a new PS3 if it fails and can't be repaired again under his warranty?

Not dissing the service offered, just thinking out loud that the warranty probably isn't very air tight.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:40 PM   #13
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I recently had the YLOD hit my PS3 which was a 60GB launch unit. I was going to see if I could exchange all my games for credit and buy a Xbox but after reading stuff online it appears I can just get my PS3 fixed for $50. Anyone had any recent experiences getting a YLOD PS3 fixed in Calgary and is it worth it?
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:49 PM   #14
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclitheroe View Post
How can he offer a warranty on what I assume is a re-flow job? It's not exactly gentle on the components, nor is it guaranteed to work in the first place. Re-flowing again may or may not work, so is he going to buy you a new PS3 if it fails and can't be repaired again under his warranty?

Not dissing the service offered, just thinking out loud that the warranty probably isn't very air tight.
I'm guessing that from the nature of his work, that the warranty would of course apply to successful reflows and this is simply assuming that when it fails again (which it inevitably will without a proper reball which I doubt this guy is actually doing), that he will just heatgun/bake the board again.

If it fails again, I guess that by nature of his job, he has extra boards or PS3s lying he around he uses for replacements.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:56 PM   #15
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I recently had the YLOD hit my PS3 which was a 60GB launch unit. I was going to see if I could exchange all my games for credit and buy a Xbox but after reading stuff online it appears I can just get my PS3 fixed for $50. Anyone had any recent experiences getting a YLOD PS3 fixed in Calgary and is it worth it?
A 60GB launch unit is in demand for backwards compatibility and they look better (raised lettering, chromed parts, card reader, etc.). Do try to fix it, they are worth more (despite being hotter and louder).

YLOD 60GB launch units are pretty easily fixed if nothing is majorly wrong.

I bought a dead one off Kijiji that came with a controller for $60. FlameOn reflowed it for me after we had a big reball failure (oven too hot). We then tried buying 6 more with our luck progressively worse though lol.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:07 PM   #16
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

Has anyone got a line on a replacement dvd drive for one of the old fat ones?
Old 08-25-2012, 10:41 AM   #17
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
A 60GB launch unit is in demand for backwards compatibility and they look better (raised lettering, chromed parts, card reader, etc.). Do try to fix it, they are worth more (despite being hotter and louder).

YLOD 60GB launch units are pretty easily fixed if nothing is majorly wrong.

I bought a dead one off Kijiji that came with a controller for $60. FlameOn reflowed it for me after we had a big reball failure (oven too hot). We then tried buying 6 more with our luck progressively worse though lol.
That's to be determined. We have at least two working out of the six. If reflows don't fix the remaining units we have a bunch of dead chips on our hands or botched reflows (which will require reballing and I don't trust myself to not screw that up... shaky hands).
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:46 AM   #18
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricosuave View Post
Has anyone got a line on a replacement dvd drive for one of the old fat ones?
What exactly is wrong with your drive? Is it just a laser problem, disc sensor problem? If it is, that is very easy to fix with the right replacement parts. I might be able to help you out to fix it if it's one of the original phats up to CECHA01-CECHG01

There's a problem if your entire drive is dead because BD drives are married to your PS3 mother board. If your whole drive is dead or you somehow fried your controller board, then that will require you to get an entirely brand new drive and swap the one controller chip which is much more difficult to do because you have to mess around with desoldering a BGA component and mount it back on afterwards.

EDIT: Well, other models I could probably do too, just I might not know off the top of my head what part you need to buy.

Last edited by FlameOn; 08-25-2012 at 10:50 AM.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:19 AM   #19
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Just fix it! You can't find proper BC compatible ones anymore. It's a waste to throw it out and if you decide to go that route throw it Hack&Lube / my way

The $50 fix is good for roughly 6 months maybe more depending on usage and if you have the better fan or not. For $120 (maybe $90 if you are willing to ship out of country) you'll have a permanent fix.
Old 08-25-2012, 01:02 PM   #20
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
Just fix it! You can't find proper BC compatible ones anymore. It's a waste to throw it out and if you decide to go that route throw it Hack&Lube / my way

The $50 fix is good for roughly 6 months maybe more depending on usage and if you have the better fan or not. For $120 (maybe $90 if you are willing to ship out of country) you'll have a permanent fix.

Yeah I have emailed a couple people of Kijiji about a fix for $30-$50. I really don't play that much but in the winter i do usually play 6-8 hours a week. I have 4-5 games, move controllers, 4 regular controllers and wondering if it is worth exchanging the accessories to put towards a new Xbox at EB and see if I can move my YLOD unit for $30-$50 to someone that can fix it?

Almost all of my friends play Xbox and you can get a new bundle for $250 so I am torn if I should cut bait and upgrade or just pay $50 to keep my PS3 going for another year or so?
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote