Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2016, 08:43 PM   #2521
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
I've heard Nenshi talking about political salaries being set at about the worst level possible - high enough that people will do politics for the money, but not high enough that the best and brightest will do it for the money.
Do municipal politicians really need to be drawn from the best and the brightest? From people who would otherwise be surgeons and CFOs? It seems to me that we would have a pretty homogenous city council if they were all well-heeled professionals who associated with people who earned $250K +.

I'm fine with municipal politicians earning a decent middle-class living. And $115K is a good sight more than a decent middle-class salary. I'm not sure who Nenshi thinks is turning down a job in Calgary politics because it isn't enough dough. Being a city councillor was never meant to be a career. It wasn't long ago that they were paid about $30K, because it was expected you might do a term or two as a kind of civic duty and then go back to your real life. There's something to be said for elected officials at the municipal level being drawn from average citizens.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 06-02-2016 at 08:46 PM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 11:34 PM   #2522
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
There's something to be said for elected officials at the municipal level being drawn from average citizens.
I definitely think we'd do better with above average citizens than average citizens - whether it's in terms of analytical and creative solving, work ethic, compassion, or a variety of other attributes. It's almost tautological.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 01:05 AM   #2523
Cube Inmate
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I definitely think we'd do better with above average citizens than average citizens - whether it's in terms of analytical and creative solving, work ethic, compassion, or a variety of other attributes. It's almost tautological.
I think the Trump phenomenon is demonstrating what happens when people feel that their representatives are only selected from among the "elite." As much as it sucks to have an idiot in an elected position, the backlash of the common man can be even worse. And by "elite," I don't even mean the privileged and wealthy...but anyone who puts on airs of being smarter than the average Joe.

And yes, I understand the irony; Trump is one of the worst elitists around, yet is getting the support of those who are simply tired of "the establishment."
Cube Inmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 05:07 AM   #2524
GaiJin
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Honestly, if your beef with our mayor is that he might not donate the tax credit he gets for a charitable donation to charity (which would in turn create another tax credit, which donating would create another tax credit, ad infinitum), then he must be doing extraordinarily well!
Is he benefitting from it , yes or no?
It's still a bit of hollow self serving gesture that looks good on the surface instead of just saying no to the extra pay.
GaiJin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 05:34 AM   #2525
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
Nenshi's salary has grown 4% / annum.

I'd hardly call that a massive raise?
It's about 4% more than 99% of this city got the last few years.

Not only is he Canada's highest paid mayor, he makes more money than anyone in our senate including the speaker.
T@T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 06:41 AM   #2526
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaiJin View Post
Is he benefitting from it , yes or no?
It's still a bit of hollow self serving gesture that looks good on the surface instead of just saying no to the extra pay.
He has less money in the bank by donating that cash and receiving a credit than if he were to keep it. So, no, he isn't benefitting.
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 08:27 AM   #2527
Addick
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@T View Post
It's about 4% more than 99% of this city got the last few years.
Are you going to cry foul when their pay is held or reduced while 99% of Calgarians get a pay increase?
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”

- Roberta Brandes Gratz
Addick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 08:55 AM   #2528
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post
Sorry, I'm a little slow, but why does that matter?
The average wage in the private sector needs to account for the risk premium compared to the public sector. So if you just look at average wage of the employed you miss all the people who are no longer working so the true private sector wage is lower.

This is more of an issue in union negotiations then with the council.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 09:05 AM   #2529
Daorcey
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Is there any information on the Cost Effectiveness of the Green Bin Program that is public. I am looking for detailed information on the assumptions made in terms of Capital Landfill cost, operating landfill cost, Capital compost Cost, Operating Compost cost, Value placed on Methane reduction vs CO2 emissions from increase trucking and composting process, and the value of the compost sold afterwards.

I am basically looking for the decision record used to decide to do the project. Is something like that publicly available?
Absolutely! You can find the report Council received to help them may the decision on this agenda (http://agendaminutes.calgary.ca/sire...doctype=AGENDA). Item 4.1.2
Daorcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 09:24 AM   #2530
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

This seems to be the thread for municipal discussions . . .

Rosedale residents balk at proposed affordable housing sites in pricey neighbourhood

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-..._lsa=d5a0-54ca

“My concerns are the possible class of people that would be renting these affordable-housing units,” stated one resident, according to feedback compiled by the city.

“Are there reduced taxes for living next to affordable housing?” asked another.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 09:37 AM   #2531
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Wait, I thought NIMBYism was only a characteristic of rich white people in Bayview and Pumphill?

Can't really blame residents for being upset about this, although I don't really see how you'd be affected unless you lived right by those lots, and if you buy a house next to city-owned empty lots you should really expect the worst.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DiracSpike For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2016, 09:55 AM   #2532
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

How come NIMBY's are always saying "no no, we're totally not NIMBYs! We're upset because of the cost of the project and lack of consultation". Yah, like you guys care about what the project costs. And what's there to consult? You guys would just say "we've been consulted, and our conclusion is, not in my backyard!".

Just come out and admit you don't like having low income housing near you because it's going to bring in the poorer folk to your neighbourhood.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2016, 10:29 AM   #2533
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

We're talking about one building (two units I suppose) on each street, that hardly seems overwhelming. And looking at Google streetview the houses on these proposed streets seem hardly high end homes to begin with although I imaging they have a relatively high market value. The arguement about hurting their upcoming retirement due to the house value (ie investment) losing value could also be viewed as these people mismanaging their money. If your home value is going to be your primary source of retirement wealth then you had too many eggs in the wrong basket.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 11:15 AM   #2534
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post

Rosedale residents balk at proposed affordable housing sites in pricey neighbourhood

“My concerns are the possible class of people that would be renting these affordable-housing units,” stated one resident, according to feedback compiled by the city.

That's rich coming from a council who voted to close the midfield park which was one of the only low income places in the area not filled will drug addicts. Pathetic.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 12:04 PM   #2535
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
We're talking about one building (two units I suppose) on each street, that hardly seems overwhelming. And looking at Google streetview the houses on these proposed streets seem hardly high end homes to begin with although I imaging they have a relatively high market value. The arguement about hurting their upcoming retirement due to the house value (ie investment) losing value could also be viewed as these people mismanaging their money. If your home value is going to be your primary source of retirement wealth then you had too many eggs in the wrong basket.
If anything, the new developments might actually help to marginally increase the property values. Instead of having a run-down vacant lot there will actually be a development in place. It may not be a modern and contemporary home but at least it will be better than a vacant lot. These are tucked away at the end of the blocks along a large concrete wall any ways so the "undesirables" are kind of out of the way of the "rich" folks.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 12:08 PM   #2536
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

What is going on with the New Brighton soccer fields? They are always closed.
Poor drainage?
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 12:12 PM   #2537
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
How come NIMBY's are always saying "no no, we're totally not NIMBYs! We're upset because of the cost of the project and lack of consultation". Yah, like you guys care about what the project costs. And what's there to consult? You guys would just say "we've been consulted, and our conclusion is, not in my backyard!".

Just come out and admit you don't like having low income housing near you because it's going to bring in the poorer folk to your neighbourhood.
Lol, that's exactly what one of the NIMBY's already said. From Troutman's post, just a few before yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post

cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 01:06 PM   #2538
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
“There’s always going to be a small percentage of people who talk about issues like this from a NIMBY perspective,” Charlebois said.

“That’s not my group’s perspective . . . Affordable housing isn’t one of our issues. Our issue is the cost of the project and the lack of consultation.”
I was more commenting on this quote. Seems like her concerns are pretty much the same as the Nimby's who openly admitted to not wanting the poor folk in their rich neighborhood IMO. Don't say it's a "small percentage" because it clearly isn't.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 01:20 PM   #2539
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I fell like NIMBY now means "The city wants to do something and residents are opposed" so they call them NIMBYs to force what the city wants.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 02:04 PM   #2540
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcrunk View Post
I fell like NIMBY now means "The city wants to do something and residents are opposed" so they call them NIMBYs to force what the city wants.
That's exactly what a NIMBY is. They city has deemed something as in the common good for the city and the residents don't want it for some selfish reason local to their neighbourhood.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ask me anything , nenshiisashill , purple