Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2024, 07:39 PM   #701
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wish Kate the best in her battle and I hope the paparazzi are shot on site by the puffy hat/bearskin guys.

That said.. royalty, even in the commonwealth countries not named England, is pretty irrelevant today and there isn't much of a place for them outside of entertainment news.

Lol at king Charles in the comments expecting western Canadians to give a #### about his plight.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 07:44 PM   #702
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
Wish Kate the best in her battle and I hope the paparazzi are shot on site by the puffy hat/bearskin guys.

That said.. royalty, even in the commonwealth countries not named England, is pretty irrelevant today and there isn't much of a place for them outside of entertainment news.

Lol at king Charles in the comments expecting western Canadians to give a #### about his plight.
Not to mention, you don't even need to recognize the British monarch as a figurehead to be in the Commonwealth, India for example.
Old 03-22-2024, 07:59 PM   #703
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the thing I'm most intrigued by is the amount of energy people are putting into something that seems to be a very rational series of events.

Royal PR people: "Kate has a planned abdominal surgery and she will be unavailable until after Easter for any public events."

*Kate is not seen following her PLANNED abdominal surgery *

UK people and media: "Why is she missing? Why is the Royal Family hiding her? Did they kidnap her? Is she getting divorced? Did William have an affair???"

Me: "WTF? She said she wasn't going to be available because of a surgery. Why is this surprising anybody?"

Royal PR People: "Hey! Here's Kate with her family looking happy and healthy for Mother's day! Don't worry about her if you don't see her for a while, she's doing fine!"

UK people and media: "Look at the photoshop!!! That's the first instance very in history where a PR stunt with photos has been altered in any way, shape, or form! I for one am so shocked by this that I now believe more in these conspiracy theories!!!"

Me: "This is a joke, right? People know how PR works, yes?"

Kate: "I wanted to take this moment to thank you all personally, for all your wonderful messages of support and understanding whilst I've been recovering from surgery (thinking: #### you all Britain! You forced me to come out during cancer treatment to issue a statement because you won't shut the #### up and you won't leave me the #### alone!!!).

Me: "People are the worst."

I just can't understand why people have so much time and energy to put into this. Perhaps things like a 4 day work week and UBI are bad because people will have nothing left to do but speculate wildly over the private lives of others.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2024, 08:01 PM   #704
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

None of that is correct. Kensington Palace, Buckingham Palace and will/kate all have different PR/socials. Not to mention the AP won’t publish doctored photos, despite your claims it’s normal. Even your description of the events is not correct. No one in the press cared until the photo and the lies afterwards.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 08:20 PM   #705
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still don't ####ing care, and neither should you. Please, get a hobby. This is nonsense.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2024, 08:30 PM   #706
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
None of that is correct. Kensington Palace, Buckingham Palace and will/kate all have different PR/socials. Not to mention the AP won’t publish doctored photos, despite your claims it’s normal. Even your description of the events is not correct. No one in the press cared until the photo and the lies afterwards.
That’s not true there has been significant coverage before the doctored photos came out.

Mar 10th was Mother’s Day.

Here’s American coverage on Mar 1st
https://www.theringer.com/platform/a...s-royal-family

LA Times Feb 29

https://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...harles-windsor

Feb 28 New York Times
https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/28/s...on-health.html
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 08:37 PM   #707
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThief View Post
The lack of respect some of you are showing our future Queen is utterly repulsive.
Ok boomer
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 11:08 PM   #708
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Celebrity watchers were speculating about Kate before the altered photo was released, because it’s what celebrity watchers do.

Then the media lost their minds when they discovered the picture was altered. With their shock and hand-wringing, you’d think they were dealing with falsification of important political records, instead of a picture of a woman with her kids. And when the media blew the story up, the gossip-mongerers and conspiracy kooks ran with it.

While we might expect the media to do the decent thing and issue mea culpas over their handling of this, I wouldn’t hold your breath. They know they look like a right bunch of ####s now, but they’ve already switched gears to sympathy and compassion, as though they’re not responsible at all for a mom with cancer needing to videotape a public statement about her very personal illness.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 03-22-2024 at 11:16 PM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 11:52 PM   #709
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Celebrity watchers were speculating about Kate before the altered photo was released, because it’s what celebrity watchers do.

Then the media lost their minds when they discovered the picture was altered. With their shock and hand-wringing, you’d think they were dealing with falsification of important political records, instead of a picture of a woman with her kids. And when the media blew the story up, the gossip-mongerers and conspiracy kooks ran with it.

While we might expect the media to do the decent thing and issue mea culpas over their handling of this, I wouldn’t hold your breath. They know they look like a right bunch of ####s now, but they’ve already switched gears to sympathy and compassion, as though they’re not responsible at all for a mom with cancer needing to videotape a public statement about her very personal illness.
The media didn’t blow things up. The KP press team did by releasing a doctored photo and then lying about it afterwards, blaming it on Kate, then going silent for a week. You cannot release doctored photos and lie about it. Full stop. The fact that KP decided to let Kate take #### for it is all on them. If they had two brain cells they’d have immediately shut it down.

It’s so weird that you and others seem so intent on somehow tying the lunatic fringe tabloids and online conspiracy theorists with mainstream media who regularly cover the royals. It’s like comparing Alex Jones and twitter conspiracy nuts with WaPo and the NYT.

Whether you or I or anyone else like it they are important public figures in the UK and around the world. And that carries a certain amount of trust. When they intentionally lie to the public and mislead them, it creates controversy and mistrust. But it wasn’t Kate and Will who did this. It was the incomoetent press teams who control their public facing image.

If they’d have said nothing, which is what every single member of the press who covers the royals expected, since they know KP and BP don’t typically bend to media pressure, no one would have expected a Kate appearance for weeks, if not longer.

Now instead of this being a somber announcement that comes weeks earlier than she was scheduled to appear, it the unfortunate and sad finale to a week long scandal because the worlds most incompetent press team, who have a history of making tremendous blunders and bad decisions, made yet another faceplant.

I pity her for marrying into that tire fire of a family. Hopefully she makes a full recovery.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2024, 12:18 AM   #710
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Jesus some of you are sick.

It’s just as likely she was the one who did it, considering AI makes it pretty easy for amateur photoshoppers to do something like combine multiple photos so that each of your multiple children look their best. And hey, she probably had some time to do it, considering she was recovering from SURGERY and prepping for CHEMO and didn’t have a schedule full of activities.

“Come clean”… about her health issues? It’s her business. Blaming Kate or the people probably acting on her wishes for people making up conspiracy theories because she didn’t want to go public with her health issues is such an insane thing to do.

People always rag on the online habits of gen z but I honestly think older generations can be far more toxic and harmful with the way they use the internet.
Let's separate the cancer diagnosis--for which I feel like a total dick cracking a joke in another thread a few days ago.

No matter who edited the photo, Middleton remains a royal figure, with a support network managing her image, privacy, and that of the royal family. The royal PR team's performance on this has been an utter disaster; they didn't fail us, they failed her.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 12:56 AM   #711
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
Let's separate the cancer diagnosis--for which I feel like a total dick cracking a joke in another thread a few days ago.

No matter who edited the photo, Middleton remains a royal figure, with a support network managing her image, privacy, and that of the royal family. The royal PR team's performance on this has been an utter disaster; they didn't fail us, they failed her.
Sometimes I wonder if people have an understanding of PR that goes beyond weird depictions on TV.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 06:19 AM   #712
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I am a fan of horror movies. Nothing strikes more fear into me than cancer. I am terrified of it. There is no bogeyman but cancer is real and way worse than getting murdered in your house.

My buds I graduated in engineering s dad died of it, so he said screw this and went to school for ten more years to become a doctor. He is the most positive guy, we have come a long way fighting it. The best are fighting this for us and we don’t know it.
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 07:28 AM   #713
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The media didn’t blow things up. The KP press team did by releasing a doctored photo and then lying about it afterwards, blaming it on Kate, then going silent for a week. You cannot release doctored photos and lie about it. Full stop.
They’ve released a bunch of doctored photos of the royals in recent years. And they will continue to do so going forward. The press hates it, but most of the public doesn’t care. Again, this isn’t airbrushing out a rival from a political conference. They’re private pictures of the family released to the public. If media outlets have a policy against using them, then they don’t have to print them.

Quote:
The fact that KP decided to let Kate take #### for it is all on them. If they had two brain cells they’d have immediately shut it down.
Kate and her team almost certainly OK’d the doctored photo. So once it was rumbled by the press, she did the decent thing and claimed responsibility. Which is better than throwing some communications staffer under the bus.

Quote:
It’s so weird that you and others seem so intent on somehow tying the lunatic fringe tabloids and online conspiracy theorists with mainstream media who regularly cover the royals. It’s like comparing Alex Jones and twitter conspiracy nuts with WaPo and the NYT.
The mainstream press fury over the doctored photo was not widely shared. It was a case of the media mistaking their own interests with that of the public. And their outrage over the photo fuelled the story’s viral toxicity among conspiracy nuts.

Quote:
If they’d have said nothing, which is what every single member of the press who covers the royals expected, since they know KP and BP don’t typically bend to media pressure, no one would have expected a Kate appearance for weeks, if not longer.
The tabloids were already working themselves into a lather before the doctored photo was released. They weren’t going to just sit back for months and refrain from speculating about Kate or trying to snap her picture. These people will stoop to anything to get coverage - bribery, phone-tapping, etc. That’s why the royal’s handlers release these sorts of pictures, to feed the hounds a morsel or two of meat.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 03-23-2024 at 07:35 AM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2024, 07:52 AM   #714
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThief View Post
The lack of respect some of you are showing our future Queen is utterly repulsive.
Hahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahhahahahhahhahhahahahahahahahahahhhhhhha hahhhahhhhhahahahhhhhahahahahahahahahahahahhahahah ahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahah ahahahahha

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2024, 08:09 AM   #715
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post

Netflix is probably happy about it. This is going to make for an exciting episode of The Crown in a decade or so.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2024, 11:36 PM   #716
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The media didn’t blow things up. The KP press team did by releasing a doctored photo and then lying about it afterwards, blaming it on Kate, then going silent for a week. You cannot release doctored photos and lie about it. Full stop. The fact that KP decided to let Kate take #### for it is all on them. If they had two brain cells they’d have immediately shut it down.

Whether you or I or anyone else like it they are important public figures in the UK and around the world. And that carries a certain amount of trust. When they intentionally lie to the public and mislead them, it creates controversy and mistrust. But it wasn’t Kate and Will who did this. It was the incomoetent press teams who control their public facing image.

Now instead of this being a somber announcement that comes weeks earlier than she was scheduled to appear, it the unfortunate and sad finale to a week long scandal because the worlds most incompetent press team, who have a history of making tremendous blunders and bad decisions, made yet another faceplant.

I pity her for marrying into that tire fire of a family. Hopefully she makes a full recovery.
I gave you links of the New York Times and LA times covering this 10 days before the doctored photo. Quit making stuff up
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote