Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2015, 10:26 AM   #261
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
No you don't. They pretty much ignored the slavery building the Qatari stadiums when they were asked to pull out over those reasons.
So did everyone though, the corruption was thorough, the fact that someone eventually stood up and said 'no more' is a good start.

Dont get me wrong, all of the sponsors share blame because they let it go on for so long, their line in the sand is outrageously far, but baby steps are better than no steps.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 07:37 PM   #262
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

The question I have is - will Sepp tenaciously hang on long enough that we can see World Cup 2018 brought to you by Impaler Law Office? Hang on Sepp - if everyone abandons you, I promise to pay $20,000 to be the lead sponsor in 3 ùyears. I've got your back.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to VladtheImpaler For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2015, 01:11 PM   #263
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
The question I have is - will Sepp tenaciously hang on long enough that we can see World Cup 2018 brought to you by Impaler Law Office? Hang on Sepp - if everyone abandons you, I promise to pay $20,000 to be the lead sponsor in 3 ùyears. I've got your back.
I might be able to scrounge up a few bucks in order to take part in some bribery, fraud, embezzlement and extortion.

Sounds like fun. Any event sponsored by you and me would be an event worth going to!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 10-07-2015, 11:00 AM   #264
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

The FIFA Ethics Committee (a contradiction in terms if ever I've seen one) have provisionally suspended Sepp Blatter for 90 days.

Problem Solved.

Old 10-07-2015, 11:45 AM   #265
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Why not scrap FIFA and form an alternate association?

https://defafootball.wordpress.com/

It is time to set FIFA aside. It is time to bring football back to the fans. How? By setting up an alternative football association: the Democratic Football Association. An organisation that works in an honest, transparent and democratic manner. An organisation that will organise honest, transparent and democratic elections for World Cup hosts and that puts the sport and the fans number one. An organisation where corruption is non-existent.
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 11:46 AM   #266
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

sport is not a democracy

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 10:58 AM   #267
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
The FIFA Ethics Committee (a contradiction in terms if ever I've seen one) have provisionally suspended Sepp Blatter for 90 days.

Problem Solved.
official now. Not only Blatter and Valcke are banned for 90 days, but the real shocker is that Platini is suspended too ... that effectively ends any realistic chance of him becoming Blatters successor as FIFA boss next year.

Great stuff. Too bad that it's probably to late to pull the plug on Qatar.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2015, 11:12 AM   #268
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
official now. Not only Blatter and Valcke are banned for 90 days, but the real shocker is that Platini is suspended too ... that effectively ends any realistic chance of him becoming Blatters successor as FIFA boss next year.

Great stuff. Too bad that it's probably to late to pull the plug on Qatar.
I dont get why people still want Platini to be the next President, he was just as complicit as Blatter.

Sure he denounced Blatter and worked against him right up until he started getting paid too. He was just pissed he wasnt getting his 'fair share' of the grift.

They've got to find someone completely new and they should be looking at either one of the Englishmen involved in England's WC bidding process because the evidence is pretty clear that they werent in on the scam or someone from the German FA who have vocally anti-Blatter and have been fighting hard to get the Qatari WC repealed.

And whats the deal with Valcke? I assumed he ran off to hide somewhere, did that idiot actually come back? I dont get it, Blatter is spewing this crap about 'clearing his name' and 'proving his innocence' like, dude, its over, just run for the nearest non-extraditional country and hope like hell they take you in.

Who am I kidding, just get to Moscow.

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2015, 11:23 AM   #269
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really think those people live in a bubble. They've been getting away with shady stuff for such a long time that they all think they're untouchable ... just look at Blatter, the writing has been on the wall for a very long time and still it seems he doesn't realize that the game is over. It's unbelievable, really.

With Platini, everybody knows he's just as guilty as the FIFA guys. Just surprised that they took out both Blatter and Platini in one move, I love it. Never thought they'd have the guts, but the pressure has obviously been huge since the big sponsors collectively threw a tantrum.

Also think both FIFA and UEFA will be in the hands of England and Germany soon. At least I hope so.
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2015, 11:28 AM   #270
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Would be careful, Germany voted for Qatar as well.

Platini is worst than Blatter, Blatter was anti-Qatar, Platini was pro-Qatar

Platini should have been fired alone for having two goaline refs.

Old 10-08-2015, 11:31 AM   #271
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I really think those people live in a bubble. They've been getting away with shady stuff for such a long time that they all think they're untouchable ... just look at Blatter, the writing has been on the wall for a very long time and still it seems he doesn't realize that the game is over. It's unbelievable, really.

With Platini, everybody knows he's just as guilty as the FIFA guys. Just surprised that they took out both Blatter and Platini in one move, I love it. Never thought they'd have the guts, but the pressure has obviously been huge since the big sponsors collectively threw a tantrum.

Also think both FIFA and UEFA will be in the hands of England and Germany soon. At least I hope so.
I agree on all points.

I have no idea what Blatter and Co. think they're doing. The jig is up, the game is over and theres no winning. That ship has sailed, give it up already.

And yes, I think FIFA and UEFA should be in the hands of the English and Germans and thats likely for the best.

The English suck at corruption and the Germans excel at logical scheduling.

Old 10-08-2015, 11:33 AM   #272
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Would be careful, Germany voted for Qatar as well.
Beckenbauer, yes. But it's no secret that he's been in bed with Qatar and a Blatter supporter for a long time, so no surprise. He's not involved in any decisions by the German association any more though. Their president Niersbach is pretty decent I think. The English also have two excellent executives in Greg Dyke and David Gill.
Old 10-08-2015, 11:36 AM   #273
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Beckenbauer, yes. But it's no secret that he's been in bed with Qatar and a Blatter supporter for a long time, so no surprise. He's not involved in any decisions by the German association any more though. Their president Niersbach is pretty decent I think. The English also have two excellent executives in Greg Dyke and David Gill.
True.

I've mentioned before, it shouldn't be that hard for Europe to regain control. Europe needs to make itself electable. They have what? 53 out of 200 votes? They need to find 50 more votes from around the world, shouldn't be that hard but for 40 years they have made themselves unelectable.

Old 10-09-2015, 08:00 AM   #274
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

No.

David Gill should come back to United.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 12:00 PM   #275
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like Platini is losing his luster with the brass in UEFA.

http://www.espnfc.com/fifa-world-cup...ifa-presidency

I cant believe all he got was £1.35M.

Old 10-14-2015, 03:46 PM   #276
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh wow, no way, I'd have never seen that coming....!

Quote:
UEFA president Michel Platini agreed to back Sepp Blatter for re-election as FIFA president weeks after receiving £1.35m from FIFA on Blatter's authority in March of 2011, according to a report out of England.
http://www.espnfc.com/blog/fifa/243/...payment-report

Old 10-16-2015, 09:21 AM   #277
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it'll be surprising when it comes out that a WC bid in the last 25 years didn't involve bribery

Quote:
Another day, another FIFA scandal. According to Der Spiegel, Germany paid out hefty under-the-table fees to members of the world soccer governing body’s executive committee to secure the 2006 World Cup.

The funds allegedly came from a slush fund worth more than $11 million set up by the German bid committee and contributed to by former Adidas CEO Robert Louis-Dreyfus, according to the report.

Per the Associated Press summary:

Spiegel says Louis-Dreyfus loaned the money as a private citizen to the bid committee before the awarding of the tournament on July 6, 2000. It was reportedly used to secure the votes of four Asian representatives on FIFA’a 24-member executive committee
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...11445008383566
Old 10-16-2015, 09:31 AM   #278
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
An FA statement read: "The FA wishes Mr Platini every success in fighting these charges and clearing his name, and has no interest in taking any action that jeopardises this process. "However, notwithstanding the above, at the Uefa meeting on Thursday, the FA learned more information relating to the issues at the centre of this case from Mr Platini's lawyers.
"We have been instructed that the information must be kept confidential and therefore we cannot go into specifics.
"As a result of learning this information, the FA Board has this morning concluded that it must suspend its support for Mr Platini's candidature for the Fifa presidency until the legal process has been concluded and the position is clear.

I like it.
Platini lawyers up and the FA gets around it by saying due to information that we heard that we can't repeat that Platini is a non transparent shady SOB, we'll be no longer supporting him.
http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/34551399

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bagor For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2015, 10:11 AM   #279
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
I think it'll be surprising when it comes out that a WC bid in the last 25 years didn't involve bribery

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...11445008383566
Typical Germans
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 11:06 AM   #280
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane_phaneuf View Post
Typical Germans
I dont know if its typical, but if you're a Brit you've got a legit reason to be pissed, it seems like the Brits and the Americans were the only ones playing the game straight.

I guess they didnt get Blatter's memo where bribery was in the rules of the game.