Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2014, 12:53 AM   #1
timmy89
Draft Pick

Default Car style vs. practicality advice for young male

I know a lot of people will tell me I should buy what makes me happy, not based on how others will judge me, but just humour me.

I've been researching the ideal car to buy for quite awhile; it will primarily be for commuting, but I live an active outdoors lifestyle; hiking, kayaking, camping, skiing, etc. The 2015 Subaru Outback seems the perfect fit for my lifestyle, but as a 25 year old single male, I'm concerned that it projects too much of the "married with kids" image, or "the nice guy". As it is I always get pigeonholed as the "nice guy" girls wants to be friends with, but not date. I also find a lot of girls here want to date a guy who drives a big truck, as big pickup trucks seem to be very fashionable in Calgary, despite them not actually being a very practical choice for most people. My alternatives are Hyundai Santa Fe or Nissan Rogue. I've included pictures below for those not familiar with the vehicles I've mentioned.

Do you guys think I have a point, or are my alternatives just as bad? I'm not going to buy something totally unpractical just for the sake of image, but curious if my other options might be more appealing. Thanks

Subaru Outback:
Spoiler!

Hyundai Santa Fe:
Spoiler!

Nissan Rogue:
Spoiler!
timmy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 12:56 AM   #2
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

Those are all the same cars.

Get a Prius and show them you just don't care!
To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to To Be Quite Honest For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2014, 01:12 AM   #3
drewboy12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Women are not all of a sudden going to start throwing them self at you because you drive a brand new Hyundai... or Nissan... or anything else... You might be able to drive around in a bright yellow car with a prancing pony on the front, or an angry cow, and you will get nightly treats with daddy issues, but not girlfriends.

Girls just want to date guys with big trucks because they are huge in the pants I hear. You can only buy big trucks if you are above average, its a law.

I suggest you buy a Miata and stop being the nice guy. Now girls will be throwing themselves at you... A bad ass mother f***er who drives a bad ass convertible.

and grow a big mustache.
Old 09-20-2014, 01:14 AM   #4
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah ... all those cars are the same. Additionally, a car is not going to change your personality. If, right now, you're the friendzone guy, afterwards you'll be the friendzone guy with a slightly better car. Just buy what makes you happy. Plus, it's not like impressing someone with your car is very easy in Calgary
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 01:17 AM   #5
t0rrent98
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I myself have a 2010 Subaru Impreza hatch and plan on switching over to the Forester so I hate to be biased but go with Subaru all the way. The Forester seems like a better option than the Outback IMHO and it can still do all the things you love to do.

Plus Subaru hasn't had many problems thus far compared to all other vehicles..

All I can say is, test drive those cars and see if you can see yourself driving said car for a long time, whatever fits your needs is what I usually go with.

But.. if you ever decide on*Shudder* Nissan, go to Sunridge Nissan and see if you can get either Jeremy Pon or Billy Yan to sell you the car. Maybe you'll get somewhat of a discount for mentioning my name (Dustin) to them.

CPHL Dallas Stars
t0rrent98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 01:30 AM   #6
SHOGUN
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Buy what ever the hell you want. If you attract girls based on your type of car, then you shouldn't be wasting your time on them... unless your just looking to have short flings.

If you believe materialistic things will get you a good long term girlfriend, I feel sorry for you.
SHOGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 01:34 AM   #7
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Forget about women who are interested in a guy because of his car. Especially if they are interested in a guy because he has a "big truck".

What kind of guy would like a woman just because she has a nice car? A loser, that's what kind of guy. Same deal.

That being said, you have picked out some cars that really do lack personality. What about a Toyota FJ? Or an Xterra. They can actually go off-road, unlike a Rogue or a Hyundai, which are total mom cars.

Or you could save yourself a few (lots) of bucks and look at an older Pathfinder or Forerunner.

RougeUnderoos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RougeUnderoos For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2014, 01:41 AM   #8
gargamel
First Line Centre

Exp:

I see 3 examples of practicality, but where's the style that you're considering?
gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 02:24 AM   #9
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

The Subaru Outback is the car you should buy. It does everything. Your ability to do everything thanks to it will attract quality ladies. Not because the car is awesome, but because the car allows you to be awesome. Just get it and enjoy your awesome self. Ladies will follow.
flylock shox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 02:31 AM   #10
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Go you want a woman to love you for the vehicle you drive or just you?

Screw what women think and buy the vehicle that best suits your lifestyle. My choice of the three would be the Outback.
Old 09-20-2014, 02:37 AM   #11
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

And here I thought the bigger the truck, the bigger the over compensation for the lacking of said package. Shows what I know.

Those three vehicles won't win you any dates for sure. Pretty vanilla fare those choices are. But as others have mentioned, choosing a vehicle on how you'd appear to a date shouldn't really be a part of the thought process when buying. If it was, the practicality and usefulness of the car you'd want goes right out the window.

But, if you're set on finding something with a little more flavor than vanilla, the 4Runner is always a good option. Plus its useful for the outdoorsy things.

EDIT: If it were a choice between the three though, Outback, Subaru's are awesome.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 05:15 AM   #12
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

The outback should be good for attracting lesbians. Might not help your situation though.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2014, 07:01 AM   #13
boogerz
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewboy12 View Post
I suggest you buy a Miata and stop being the nice guy. Now girls will be throwing themselves at you... A bad ass mother f***er who drives a bad ass convertible.

and grow a big mustache.
Best advice in thread. Miata's are awesome. You'll be having so much fun that you'll forget about being woman-less and having a small peen
boogerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 07:48 AM   #14
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

When I was in my early twenties I had a brand new pick up truck and wasn't that great at meeting women.

Now I drive an early 90's sedan and have zero problems.

So logically you need an older, crappier vehicle to succeed.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 08:14 AM   #15
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Get the Subaru (although look at the Crosstrek as well)...the other two are total mom-mobiles. I'd personally also consider the Nissan Xterra and Toyota 4runner.

If you want the cooler version of the Subie, get yourself an Audi wagon. Those are only driven by totally awesome sex machines.

At the ultimate end of the spectrum would be a used 911 4, but I'm not sure that you could handle the volume of the vagine flying your way.

Last edited by Table 5; 09-20-2014 at 08:19 AM.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2014, 08:23 AM   #16
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Beta as ####.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canehdianman For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2014, 08:32 AM   #17
Fozzie_DeBear
Wucka Wocka Wacka

Exp:

CTS wagon?

Cts-v wagon

They come in AWD...are stylish (IMO) and can be had used for a good price. The CTS-V is a beast...

"It was a debacle of monumental proportions." -MacT

Last edited by Fozzie_DeBear; 09-20-2014 at 11:12 AM.
Fozzie_DeBear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fozzie_DeBear For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2014, 08:54 AM   #18
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Car style vs. practicality advice for young male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
At the ultimate end of the spectrum would be a used 911 4, but I'm not sure that you could handle the volume of the vagine flying your way.
Go with a used C2, and that substantially reduces the amount of flying vagine. In fact I know of a great one that might just be listed right now!

As for the OP, buy whatever suits your lifestyle. Out of those three you mentioned I'd say the Subaru without a doubt.

Although there's a lot of truck mocking going on in the thread, they're freaking great. Throw a few friends and 4 bikes in the back and head to the mountains with room to spare. I've done long group ski trips in a small(ish) SUV, a crossover, and a half-ton, and the truck wins for comfort and luggage capacity hands down. No screwing around with Thule racks or anything and lots of cabin space.

For other options, the Audi wagon was thrown around, as well as the Xterra. You could look at Volvo too. Sporty enough, does what it sounds like you need.

You're not going to make or break your love life based on what you're driving anyway. Calgary is really a Mecca of gorgeous cars so it's going to take more than a new Subaru to impress anyone here if that's what you're after.

Buy what you want and fata everyone else. But if you go with the Santa Fe or the Rogue, you'll be stuck in the friendzone for life.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 09:49 AM   #19
timmy89
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOGUN View Post
Buy what ever the hell you want. If you attract girls based on your type of car, then you shouldn't be wasting your time on them... unless your just looking to have short flings.

If you believe materialistic things will get you a good long term girlfriend, I feel sorry for you.
No, I don't believe that, but you I do believe that the specific car you drive projects a certain image, and I have heard lot's of girls make very negative comments about wagons, whereas making very positive comments about guys with trucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gargamel View Post
I see 3 examples of practicality, but where's the style that you're considering?
To my eye at least, the Santa Fe and Rogue look a bit more masculine than driving a wagon, but based on the comments here these actually might be worse in terms of image.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RougeUnderoos View Post
That being said, you have picked out some cars that really do lack personality. What about a Toyota FJ? Or an Xterra. They can actually go off-road, unlike a Rogue or a Hyundai, which are total mom cars.

Or you could save yourself a few (lots) of bucks and look at an older Pathfinder or Forerunner.
I would love to drive one of those, but they just aren't practical for my daily commute. The Outback and Rogue especially get excellent fuel economy, whereas anything good off road just sucks gas.

Thanks for the comments everyone, you have restored some faith in me that that girls may have not be as judgmental as I have come to believe. I've been trying online dating, and I think it has been a big hit to my self confidence getting rejected over and over again (or mainly not getting rejected, just not getting any responses), and seeing a lot of girls reference on their page about wanting to date a guy who drives a truck. I'm a decent looking guy who has dated attractive girls in the past, but am struggling with meeting women in a new city where I don't know many people, and became concerned if my vehicle choice would matter.
timmy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 10:33 AM   #20
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Meet girls who do the activities you like too do. They will appreciate being able to put their kayak and skis in your car. If you are having trouble meeting girls go to the outdoor meet up groups and Calgary outdoor club events. You will meet in shape women who like to the same things you do.

You could get one of the sportier hatches like the vw golf type cars if the appearance end matters.

Last edited by GGG; 09-20-2014 at 10:36 AM.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote