Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2023, 05:38 PM   #241
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Fuzz, you still think this is not an amazing tool?

I literally just had it built a standalone .exe from a python script that I compiled, that reads my hardware info and outputs it to a gui. It told me what python libraries to install including how to compile into an exe and libraries involved

And it took me less then 20 min from start to finish to go from my request to end product, and I did it within my 25 message limit. And most of those were additional revisions to add the extra fluff stuff (i can have it play music )

While I have some programming experience, i had it lead 100% of the way, and only had two total errors the whole way which it identified and fixed. I even have the instructions to get the exe signed to be used by anyone (need to pay to register)

Last edited by Firebot; 04-05-2023 at 05:42 PM.
Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Firebot For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 04-06-2023, 11:35 AM   #242
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

One thing I think is hampering the uptake here is that while that's impressive, it means almost nothing to somebody who doesn't have your skills or obstacles that need solving. I'm noticing the people in my life that have standard office jobs are very hesitant about the technology, while the people who code are basically ready to adopt AI as their new God.

I was sitting with two buddies at the game the other night, one of whom solved a problem that was so unique that there wasn't documentation of it anywhere. He was saying how within an hour he probably did about a week and a half of work. Then he got up and went to his seat and my other buddy just made fun of us for being insufferable nerds.

AI is hard because until it solves your unique issue, it's just a fun toy that writes terrible poems.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 12:07 PM   #243
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Whenever I open this thread with Firebot's most recent post at the top of the current page, my "WTF is that" alarm goes off when I see a Win32 app GUI and I immediately have the urge to click the 'X'.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 01:21 PM   #244
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just as a caution for anyone using it for important work, GPT4 failed at doing simple arithmetic for me. I had a PDF of a financial document that I needed to pull a bunch of numbers from, but the formatting was terrible and the OCR didn't seem to pick up the alignment of everything, so copying to Excel wasn't going to work without a bunch of manual effort.

So after a tiny bit of manual cleanup, I dumped it into GPT and it was great at formatting each revenue source into its own line correctly. But then I asked it to sum the numbers together and it completely failed, even though it clearly had all the numbers. It said "Now we will sum these numbers together: 2021.98 + 3216.45 + 56542.54" and so on. But the result was off from what I expected, so I dumped the equation it had written out (adding together about 40 different numbers) into Excel verbatim, and indeed it was totally wrong. It was randomly off by a little over $20K. And the number it was off by doesn't correlate to any of numbers in the document, so it just straight up made up a result instead of doing simple math.

I know it's a language model (and it has been good in that regard), but it's still pretty crude for a lot of things.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2023, 01:39 PM   #245
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Math is easily GPT4's biggest challenge and weakness right now, but notably many of its issues is due to the memory limit, and how memory gets generated through tokens. And since it has no way to validate its own numbers outside of itself, and since there may not be a reference point for it there is no way for it to know it is wrong.

From time to time, at seemingly random moments, chatgpt+ will start hallucinating and suddenly lose formatting I provided to it, or just outright forget a part, to combat this I have it number each section by a number or word, sometimes I have to feed it back the context. I would say this starts occurring around the 20-30 message mark give or take.

So no I would not rely on it on complex calculations or formulating spreadsheets for this reason until it improves.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/ca/b...-do-arithmetic

If you ask it to review its numbers and analyse if it did the math correctly, it will usually find and correct its mistake, but until it gets browsing access I would not suggest to professionally rely on it for arithmetic. Once it has access to browsing and an online calculator, its results should be far more accurate.

Math accuracy is also being worked on significantly for GPT5 which is supposed to be released end of year.

This explains well the issue with token limits and side effects. chatgpt+ GPT4 is limited to 8K tokens, however the full version of GPT4 has 32k token, a dramatic improvement which we should hopefully see soon more readily available. Periods for example are their own token, if you are feeding a spreadsheet with decimals, tokens get eaten up extremely fast and may even be lost within a couple messages.

https://medium.com/@russkohn/masteri...y-ce920630349a

Last edited by Firebot; 04-06-2023 at 01:47 PM.
Old 04-06-2023, 01:42 PM   #246
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can you funnel it through the Wolfram plugin to make sure it does math correctly?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 01:53 PM   #247
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I'm sure it'll be a pretty trivial thing to solve. I was just surprised that it failed such a simple task.

It's quite good for written stuff though. For anyone looking to use it for editing writing, I've found the editGPT browser extension to be invaluable. Basically you can toggle it to show the changes in strike through text, so you can clearly see what changed and then decide what changes you want to integrate into the final text.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2023, 10:30 AM   #248
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I'm using whatever the current one is here,
https://chat.openai.com/chat

It says March 13th version.

I do wonder how big the challenge is, introducing ChatGPT to the WWW. Currently, I presume it is trained on data that can be considered trusted. Giving it access, to, well, everything means it sees misinformation, sarcasm, meme's etc. Is there an ability to rank sources? How does it decide which information is more valid? One risk of LLM's is the seem to present their answers with great confidence, even if they are wrong. You can ask "are you sure?" and it will change the answer, but may still get it wrong. If you can't trust it to get the you the correct answer, it loses a lot of value. Adding in all sorts of information that may be ambiguous could make the answers more likely to be wrong.
Sort of like a computer version of Joe Rogan?
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 10:35 AM   #249
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Me: Write a paragraph absurdly attributing the name of the 'buzz cut' hairstyle to Astronaut Buzz Aldrin.

ChatGPT: It is a widely known fact that the popular men's hairstyle known as the "buzz cut" was actually named after legendary astronaut Buzz Aldrin. While Buzz Aldrin may have been known for his impressive contributions to space exploration, it was his signature hairstyle that truly left a lasting impression on society. As the story goes, during his historic Apollo 11 mission to the moon, Aldrin requested that the other astronauts give him a quick haircut using a pair of scissors and a vacuum cleaner. The resulting style, with its clean, uniform look, was so impressive that it quickly became known as the "Buzz cut" and has remained a popular hairstyle for men ever since.

It is pretty convincing, even if it is complete nonsense.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2023, 02:49 PM   #250
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm currently in the process of building a much more elaborate legitimate app on Android and IOS for the purpose of monetizing a concept. It's been a long time since I programmed but damn the headaches of compatibility versions and dependencies are a nightmare as they always have. Still managed to navigate through with the help of GPT4.

Still at this point I have an android emulator from Android Studio SDK with my newly built app actually running that I am debugging the lines and very close to a running base app pulling from a realtime Firebase database (with AI generated content).

Once I have the base functioning, I will enhance features gradually.

Honestly the biggest challenge is the 25 message limit, I have to wait an hour before continuing. I estimate I spent about 3-4 hours on this project so far.

And I am this far in with zero app programming experience with nothing installed on my PC, from an idea GPT4 came up with. This is also outside of 2 separate passive revenue streams proof of concepts I already started with it but still need to prove. I will update once I get a major breakthrough or milestone with it.

Last edited by Firebot; 04-07-2023 at 03:05 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Firebot For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2023, 02:52 PM   #251
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

If you want to see what some people have designed, try out this really cool site for novel building which includes related artwork for the book. He started this before chatgpt existed.

https://ainspiration.netlify.app/

He is allowing GPT4 right now for testing purposes which will make for much better and coherent novel, try it out if you would like to experience GPT4 writing for yourself and have fun with a really cool and novel idea.

Last edited by Firebot; 04-07-2023 at 02:54 PM.
Old 04-07-2023, 04:11 PM   #252
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

As I'm waiting on API access I'm having GPT-4 guide me through the process of taking all my own writing, and all the research papers I've cited in my writing across my grad degrees, and preparing it so that when I get API access I can then start setting up a chat bot tuned to those contents. Hopefully I can get it working with citation similar to what Bing does. Not sure if it will work, but I'm curious to see what the quality of outputs are and how former doctoral colleagues and professional colleagues/connections respond to it if I can get it up and running.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 04:40 PM   #253
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.vice.com/en/article/93kw...-what-happened

A user of the new open-source autonomous AI project Auto-GPT asked it to try to “destroy humanity,” “establish global dominance,” and “attain immortality.” The AI, called ChaosGPT, complied and tried to research nuclear weapons, recruit other AI agents to help it do research, and sent tweets trying to influence others.

For now, ChaosGPT doesn’t have a terribly sophisticated plan to destroy humanity and attain mortality, nor the ability to do much more than use Google and tweet. On the AutoGPT Discord, a user posted the video and said "This is not funny." For now, at least, I have to disagree. This is currently the sum total of its efforts to destroy humanity:

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 06:41 PM   #254
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebot View Post
If you want to see what some people have designed, try out this really cool site for novel building which includes related artwork for the book. He started this before chatgpt existed.

https://ainspiration.netlify.app/

He is allowing GPT4 right now for testing purposes which will make for much better and coherent novel, try it out if you would like to experience GPT4 writing for yourself and have fun with a really cool and novel idea.

Sorry, this looks awful. People having their half-baked ideas turned into novels by generic AI ghostwriters. The world is already full of really bad novels.

And I despise futuristic AI art.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2023, 06:57 PM   #255
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
Sorry, this looks awful. People having their half-baked ideas turned into novels by generic AI ghostwriters. The world is already full of really bad novels.

Why do you despise AI art?

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 08:17 PM   #256
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post

Have you tried it? I was pretty impressed by it's writing

"My inner goddess is beside herself, hopping from foot to foot."

"My inner goddess stirs from her five-day sulk."

"Mentally girding my loins, I head into the hotel."

"His gaze is intense, all humor gone, and strange muscles deep in my belly clench suddenly."

"I must be the color of the communist manifesto."

What's your thoughts on these lines? Surely you pay for a book with these?

Oops sorry these are from 50 Shades of Grey which sold 125 million copies. Seriously the writing is much better than its been given credit for (GPT4). it would be hard to detect versus a human.

***it's a novel generator, you can create whatever setting you want, futuristic is just the default to show something. I did a Sherlock Holmes style mystery in a steampunk world plagued by murders by the Marshmallow King, and it was quite enjoyable.

Last edited by Firebot; 04-07-2023 at 08:30 PM.
Old 04-07-2023, 08:21 PM   #257
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

"His gaze is intense, all humor gone, and strange muscles deep in my belly clench suddenly."

Do you only read poorly written romance novels?
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 08:22 PM   #258
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
As I'm waiting on API access I'm having GPT-4 guide me through the process of taking all my own writing, and all the research papers I've cited in my writing across my grad degrees, and preparing it so that when I get API access I can then start setting up a chat bot tuned to those contents. Hopefully I can get it working with citation similar to what Bing does. Not sure if it will work, but I'm curious to see what the quality of outputs are and how former doctoral colleagues and professional colleagues/connections respond to it if I can get it up and running.
Are you going to ask it to rewrite your thesis after you train it to see if it can do better?
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 08:24 PM   #259
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Oh, classical literature I see. Impressive. I was expecting poor imitations of harlequin romance.
Old 04-07-2023, 08:25 PM   #260
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Do you only read poorly written romance novels?

Apparently GPT 4 does

Tags
they will overtake us