Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2015, 04:11 PM   #1
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Angola Wants to Ban Islam

I read this article with some interest and mixed emotions. This would be a classic textbook example of role reversal debate and proof by assuming the opposite. Most strict Muslim theocracies that pretty much ban and criminalize other religions (Saudi Arabia, Iran, Pakistan etc.) are established in-time and their screaming lack of religious freedom is not seriously challenged by the international community. Yet, when a predominantly Christian independent country makes a move to ban Islam, the international furor ensues. What's good for the goose?... I would be curious to hear UN's position on this (if they dare to say anything).

Link to the Article in Guardian
Old 09-02-2015, 04:22 PM   #2
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

Much as I dislike religion in general, freedom of it is one of the foundations of liberal democracy. Terrible idea no matter what religion is being banned. That we don't condemn countries like Saudi Arabia is another problem, certainly, but expecting moral consistency from nations is like expecting the same from corporations: neither have such as their primary concern.
Old 09-02-2015, 04:23 PM   #3
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not seeing the international furor in the article. The link within the article says the photos of burning mosques used as proof were actually in Nigeria. And Iran and Pakistan haven't banned or criminalized other religions. But I'm sure crazy Christians are just as bad as crazy muslims.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 04:27 PM   #4
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

I wouldn't put Iran in the same list as countries that 'criminalize' and 'ban' other religions. If there's one country that's severely misrepresented by the public/west, it's Iran.

Back onto the topic: it's all about power of each country within the international community.

Pakistan? Nukes
Saudi Arabia? Oil
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Looch City For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2015, 04:32 PM   #5
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

This article was from 2 years ago...Angola is generally recognized as being pretty bad at upholding human rights. They've been ruled by the same military dictator for years. It doesn't surprise me that he would want to outlaw religions, which appeal to minority groups - the same way the communists in Russia did.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 04:37 PM   #6
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
This article was from 2 years ago...
It is, actually, I didn't notice. It has been pushed on a couple of social media sites today for some reason.
Old 09-02-2015, 04:37 PM   #7
WCW Nitro
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Pakistan is not a theocracy nor does it ban any religion (it does consider some forms of Islam like Ahmaddiya to not be Muslim)
WCW Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WCW Nitro For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2015, 05:12 AM   #8
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Angola is partly right, if they move to ban all religions they would be on the right track.

Seriously though wiki says the are 500,000 muslims in that country, are they going to kick them out or hope to convert them.?

Last edited by T@T; 09-03-2015 at 05:20 AM.
T@T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 07:05 AM   #9
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@T View Post
Angola is partly right, if they move to ban all religions they would be on the right track.

Seriously though wiki says the are 500,000 muslims in that country, are they going to kick them out or hope to convert them.?
Albania tried it several years ago. Whereas communist countries like China and Russia severely restricted religion, Albania outright banned it. It didn't exactly lead to a utopian society.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:51 AM   #10
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCW Nitro View Post
Pakistan is not a theocracy nor does it ban any religion (it does consider some forms of Islam like Ahmaddiya to not be Muslim)
On the other hand, Pakistan has (and has used) a blasphemy law, and those who convert from Islam can and have been arrested and tried. One famous example is Tahir Iqbal, a parapalegic who was imprisoned and denied bail pre-trial for converting to Islam. (later murdered in jail). So while other religions or apostasy are not technically illegal, in practice things are different.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aposta...Islam#Pakistan
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 09:48 AM   #11
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Albania tried it several years ago. Whereas communist countries like China and Russia severely restricted religion, Albania outright banned it. It didn't exactly lead to a utopian society.

The banning of religion wasn't the only reason that Albania wasn't a Utopian society.

Also:

Spoiler!
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2015, 10:26 AM   #12
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Banning it will galvanize the extremists, and perhaps invite guys on the fence about becoming an extremist to have one more reason to be 'us' against the world.

A ban is a bad idea.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2015, 12:50 PM   #13
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Agreed with CroFlames - banning will make the problem worse.

If you want to relegate religion (as much as possible) to the history books, you increase education, defend free speech, and empower women. I haven't seen any religions which stand for that.

Sucks because it's a slow process, but it's the right way.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 04:42 AM   #14
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Its amazing there are places in this world where anyone thinks you can ban an ideology or belief system, and that its a good idea.
Old 09-04-2015, 06:33 AM   #15
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
Its amazing there are places in this world where anyone thinks you can ban an ideology or belief system, and that its a good idea.
We've banned all religious courts in Canada largely because Sharia courts were such a bad idea. Beth Din courts were operating quite well for years but we've said "no ideology but our own" when it comes to our legal system. And I think that's a good idea.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2015, 04:53 PM   #16
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
We've banned all religious courts in Canada largely because Sharia courts were such a bad idea. Beth Din courts were operating quite well for years but we've said "no ideology but our own" when it comes to our legal system. And I think that's a good idea.
I haven't been in court for a long time, have they finally done away with the bible?
Old 09-06-2015, 01:28 AM   #17
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

You've been allowed to "solemnly affirm" that evidence you will give is the truth without swearing on the bible for years. Other religious books are also perfectly acceptable.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 01:08 PM   #18
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Native community justice system would disagree with you, and in most cases that I recall, it works better as well.
Old 09-07-2015, 02:35 AM   #19
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Quote:
To be clear though, you don't ban an idea or ideology, you are speaking on the use of that ideology in a legal sense to over ride or sidestep laws of the country.

Its an important distinction, ideas and beliefs cannot be banned, how those are used in a practical sense such as religious courts of course can.
Old 09-07-2015, 03:01 AM   #20
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post
I wouldn't put Iran in the same list as countries that 'criminalize' and 'ban' other religions. If there's one country that's severely misrepresented by the public/west, it's Iran.

Back onto the topic: it's all about power of each country within the international community.

Pakistan? Nukes
Saudi Arabia? Oil
Maybe it's the public stoning's of horny men and woman or the dead gay teens hanging for days from a construction crane that throws us off.