Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2015, 09:47 AM   #1
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Purchasing a new SUV

Hello everyone. So since my SUV (2008 ford escape) was written off from the hail storms at the beginning of August I am exploring buying a new one. I told myself I would never buy a car from a Dealer but I have sort of waned on that and feel like I cctually want to buy a new one this go around.

I haev been looking at the 2015 Ford Edge Sport, and may go test drive one this afternoon just to see how it feels.

Anyone have any suggestions for other vehicles I should try out? I am open to all idea, but looking for something "sporty".

Also if I were to go for a used 2013/2014 anyone have any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks!
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 09:54 AM   #2
Voodooman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

We're driving our 2nd Volvo XC60. Excellent car, great styling, good power and handling, and honestly for the extra $10 to $15K over a loaded up Edge Sport, you are getting a vastly superior amount of vehicle. Not to mention that they hold their value on resale like a mo'fo'. We sold our 2011 for 67% of original purchase price 3.5 years after we had purchased it.
Voodooman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Voodooman For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2015, 09:55 AM   #3
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

I really like the Mazda CX-5.

Have a few friend who purchased one and they like it.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cappy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2015, 09:55 AM   #4
tete
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

We just bought a 2016 Honda Pilot a couple weeks ago. It's our first SUV and I really like it - it's a total redesign from the old Pilot with a new engine/transmission (in my opinion I think it's better but I'm not a car guru, I found it drove sooo much better than the old Pilots), much nicer interior and more updated features. We also looked at a Santa Fe, a CX-9, Pathfinder, whatever the Kia version is... (we wanted a third row), and Highlander and in the end, our decision ended up being made for us because of the number of anchor tethers for car seats in the third row - Honda was the only one to have three anchor tethers there (that said, I didn't look in the Highlander, I just wasn't impressed with it overall). Funny when you become a parent your decision making gets based on options I never would have thought of prior to kids.
tete is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tete For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2015, 09:59 AM   #5
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love my Porsche Cayenne.

I do not have a Porsche Cayenne...

I have a Jeep though and its pretty okay!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 10:00 AM   #6
LChoy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Great post, as I didn't want to bump a similar thread I started.

For us, we narrowed down our list to begin test driving:
Honda CRV
Mazda CX5
Toyota RAV 4
Subaru Forrester
Hyundai Sante Fe Sport

From the reviews I read, the CRV is almost universally positive in it's reviews, including fuel economy and space utilization. The CX5 is more sportier, and handles better than the CRV (also sleeker in my opinion). The others on our list are there because we know someone that just bought one, and fit into a similar class and price point.

Will also depend on your requirements too in what you are looking for. We were looking for good maintenance record, AWD, and compact class of SUV

CP has a bunch of knowledgeable posters on vehicles, so I too look forward to see the opinions from this thread to inform our purchase decision

LChoy
Old 08-27-2015, 10:01 AM   #7
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wouldn't buy domestic new due to the massive depreciation. You're better off spending a bit more for an import that won't be worth $0.30 on the dollar in 5 years.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2015, 10:03 AM   #8
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I love my Porsche Cayenne.

I do not have a Porsche Cayenne...

I have a Jeep though and its pretty okay!
What kind of jeep? I was looking at Grand Cherokee Limited's as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lchoy View Post
Great post, as I didn't want to bump a similar thread I started.

Honda CRV
Mazda CX5
Toyota RAV 4
Subaru Forrester
Hyundai Sante Fe Sport

From the reviews I read, the CRV is almost universally positive in it's reviews, including fuel economy and space utilization. The CX5 is more sportier, and handles better than the CRV (also sleeker in my opinion). The others on our list are there because we know someone that just bought one, and fit into a similar class and price point.

Will also depend on your requirements too in what you are looking for. We were looking for good maintenance record, AWD, and compact class of SUV

CP has a bunch of knowledgeable posters on vehicles, so I too look forward to see the opinions from this thread to inform our purchase decision

LChoy
Essentially what I am looking for is something sporty, with Nav, and a nice entertainment package.

Reliability and 4wd as well.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 10:05 AM   #9
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
I wouldn't buy domestic new due to the massive depreciation. You're better off spending a bit more for an import that won't be worth $0.30 on the dollar in 5 years.
This. My wife bought a 2015 Honda Pilot, her old 2006 was worth a ton in trade-in and even private sale value, domestic cars are garbage after 3 years.

I was joking with pylon not too long ago that domestic dealerships must have a toilet-flushing sound-effect after every sale.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 10:05 AM   #10
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I recently purchased a Ford Explorer Sport. Needed the extra row of seating, which is not likely a concern for you, so the Edge might be decent. Employee pricing was nice. You save some money, and certainly save on the haggling.

A prior poster mentioned the Volvos. Really nice SUV for sure, but I couldn't wrap my mind around the price difference. Resale might be higher for sure, but I still opted for a lower priced vehicle which I think is decent value.
Have fun on the test drive(s)!
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 10:09 AM   #11
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Is there really that much of a difference on depreciation? Honest question, as I know historically that has been true, but I think the build quality on domestics are improving. Add to that the repair costs tend to be a little lower, so I am not sure how big the gap would be.
I frankly don't worry too much about depreciation, as I tend to drive the vehicle for 10-12 years, and the resale/trade value isn't worth worrying about.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:09 AM   #12
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tete View Post
We just bought a 2016 Honda Pilot a couple weeks ago. It's our first SUV and I really like it - it's a total redesign from the old Pilot with a new engine/transmission (in my opinion I think it's better but I'm not a car guru, I found it drove sooo much better than the old Pilots), much nicer interior and more updated features.
The Pilot is a nice mountain car (I was really close to buying one a few years ago) but it certainly doesn't qualify as sporty; the thing is an absolute tank. Which isn't a bad thing, in fact I can only imagine the confidence that would give in the winter, but it doesn't seem to be what he's looking for.

If you're looking for something about the size of the Edge, the Infiniti FX is an option that would be a bit less practical (cargo size is smaller) but certainly sporty. On the more practical side, I drive an RX350, which is utterly reliable and great for hauling stuff to the hill, but still has some power.

Unless something's changed I'd probably stay away from the CVT Nissans as they don't feel like they have much juice, to me.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 10:11 AM   #13
tete
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
The Pilot is a nice mountain car (I was really close to buying one a few years ago) but it certainly doesn't qualify as sporty; the thing is an absolute tank. Which isn't a bad thing, in fact I can only imagine the confidence that would give in the winter, but it doesn't seem to be what he's looking for.

If you're looking for something about the size of the Edge, the Infiniti FX is an option that would be a bit less practical (cargo size is smaller) but certainly sporty. On the more practical side, I drive an RX350, which is utterly reliable and great for hauling stuff to the hill, but still has some power.

Unless something's changed I'd probably stay away from the CVT Nissans as they don't feel like they have much juice, to me.
The Pilots are big, I'll give you that, but have you driven a new one? They're less boxy and "tank-y" than the old one.

That said, he is looking for more sporty and if you don't need a third row, there's better options out there, like the CR-V, for sure. I just wanted to throw in my two cents.
tete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 10:18 AM   #14
spetch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
What kind of jeep? I was looking at Grand Cherokee Limited's as well.

Essentially what I am looking for is something sporty, with Nav, and a nice entertainment package.

Reliability and 4wd as well.

Might as well go for the SRT instead of the limited. The local dealership came looking to buy my truck off me so after I stated my selling price I just purchased one of these. Only had it for a week but so far it's been so much fun. Probably the best value/sport suv out there. Not sure what winter is going to be like but I don't have much of a commute to work.
spetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 10:19 AM   #15
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

1 vote for the 2014 Toyota Highlander being driven by Mrs. Impaler. Fantastic vehicle in all respects. Cheaper (and, it goes without saying, far better) than the comparable Ford Explorer.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 10:21 AM   #16
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If you are more interested in the Euro SUVs, I would add that my wife has an Audi Q5 with the 3.0 litre engine, and it is a really nice ride. Gets up there in price and can't haul as much junk, but it does have a good navi and AWD.

When I was shopping, I was also intrigued by the Land Rover Discovery Sport. A relatively new entry which isn't as much as you might think. Third row didn't work for me, but the styling was pretty cool, if a little quirky.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:24 AM   #17
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
If you are more interested in the Euro SUVs, I would add that my wife has an Audi Q5 with the 3.0 litre engine, and it is a really nice ride. Gets up there in price and can't haul as much junk, but it does have a good navi and AWD.

When I was shopping, I was also intrigued by the Land Rover Discovery Sport. A relatively new entry which isn't as much as you might think. Third row didn't work for me, but the styling was pretty cool, if a little quirky.
I would have got the Q5 last time, but their refusal to bargain at all forced me to pass. It is a great ride. What is the price on the LRDS?

Old 08-27-2015, 10:34 AM   #18
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Yeah, they must sell a tonne, because they do not deal. All-in, the Discovery HSE Lux is around $60k with most of the fancy bells and whistles (We like fancy). The base is advertised around $40k.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:39 AM   #19
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
Yeah, they must sell a tonne, because they do not deal. All-in, the Discovery HSE Lux is around $60k with most of the fancy bells and whistles (We like fancy). The base is advertised around $40k.
That's cheaper than I would have thought. It's the Range Rover that's their more expensive line? I haven't researched yet - my next vehicle is 1.5 years away...

Old 08-27-2015, 10:43 AM   #20
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lchoy View Post
Honda CRV
Mazda CX5
Toyota RAV 4
Subaru Forrester
Hyundai Sante Fe Sport
CRV and Forrester have CVT tranny. Make sure you like how they behave before buying them.
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to darklord700 For This Useful Post: