Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2015, 12:42 PM   #21
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

I probably spend half my time looking at my speed and the other half looking at the road
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RW99 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2015, 12:43 PM   #22
CrunchBite
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I believe the current system says 1 hr after sunset.

Do you know when "sunset" is on any given day?

While 1 hr after sunset might be easy to understand it is a moving target that is not easy to hit.
Hasn't been that way in a while.
CrunchBite is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CrunchBite For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2015, 12:46 PM   #23
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

I never understood why schools that have playgrounds weren't playground zones in the first place.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to codynw For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2015, 12:52 PM   #24
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcrunk View Post
Yeah radar income must be down. Considering the playground zones go until 8:30 (which is stupid in the winter, what kids are at a playground past dark) this is just another cash grab by our money grubbing council.
Kids might not be on the playground when it gets dark in the winter but the kids certainly might be out in a "playground" zone in the evening at the ice rink or sledding at the hill. My kids certainly aren't always sitting around the house past 5pm in the winter.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2015, 12:54 PM   #25
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchBite View Post
Hasn't been that way in a while.

What is it now?
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 12:55 PM   #26
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Kids might not be on the playground when it gets dark in the winter but the kids certainly might be out in a "playground" zone in the evening at the ice rink or sledding at the hill. My kids certainly aren't always sitting around the house past 5pm in the winter.

I too allow my animals to run free winter and summer.
Old 08-20-2015, 12:59 PM   #27
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

Wasn't this the plan all along when they changed the times to be the same for both zones a while back?
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 01:03 PM   #28
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Wow. #### this.
The city is going backwards.

Playground zones aren't a normal thing by the way. No other city in the world has as many as Calgary. School zones? Yes, they're common place but not Playground Zones. I understand School Zones. 100%. Lots kids walking and running around schools during that time. After 5 or 6 pm? I think you'd be hard pressed to find a kid on a playground in Calgary, especially in the winter.

All it takes to get a playground zone? A letter to your Councillor. It doesn't matter how far away from the road, or whether there are fences, or how often the playground is used. If there's a city-approved playground "near by", you can request a playground zone.

Stupid. Why not just make every residential road 30 at this point? If you're putting playground zones cause there's a playground behind a school, which requires stairs to get to, and is surrounded by a fence, then seriously make the entire community a playground zone cause you're far more likely to have a kid run out on to the street in front of their house than at pretty much EVERY SINGLE playground zone in this city.

</rage>
</rant>
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to polak For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2015, 01:05 PM   #29
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
What is it now?
Both are 730am-9pm. Playground 365 days a year, school zones on school days. All Year School zones are labelled as such.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flabbibulin For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2015, 01:05 PM   #30
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Uggg I was really enjoying blowing down elbow drive this summer with just the 2 playground zones to worry about. Someone got their wish I suppose of slowing everything down all day.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 01:07 PM   #31
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW99 View Post
I probably spend half my time looking at my speed and the other half looking at the road
I spend half the time looking at my speedometer, and the other half scouring for photo radar.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 01:10 PM   #32
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
Wow. #### this.

Playground zones aren't a normal thing by the way. No other city in the world has as many as Calgary. School zones? Yes, they're common place but not Playground Zones. I understand School Zones. 100%. Lots kids walking and running around schools during that time. After 5 or 6 pm? I think you'd be hard pressed to find a kid on a playground in Calgary, especially in the winter.

All it takes to get a playground zone? A letter to your Councillor. It doesn't matter how far away from the road, or whether there are fences, or how often the playground is used. If there's a city-approved playground "near by", you can request a playground zone.

Stupid. Why not just make every residential road 30 at this point? If you're putting playground zones cause there's a playground behind a school, which requires stairs to get to, and is surrounded by a fence, then seriously make the entire community a playground zone cause you're far more likely to have a kid run out on to the street in front of their house than at pretty much EVERY SINGLE playground zone in this city.

</rage>
</rant>

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2015, 01:17 PM   #33
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

This rule was implemented just to piss off Polak.

Therefore, I'm down with it
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2015, 01:25 PM   #34
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
I spend half the time looking at my speedometer, and the other half scouring for photo radar.
I always find it funny that they've implemented these policies to curb distracted driving:

A BIG FLASHING LIT UP SIGN IS BLINDING YOU!! LOOK AT IT!!!!

"PAY ATTENTION TO THE ROAD!! WHY ARE YOU STARING AT THIS BLINDINGLY BRIGHT COMPLETELY UN-IGNORABLE FLASHING SIGN INSTEAD OF WATCHING WHERE YOU'RE GOING?!?!?!?!?"

Remember kids, reminding people not to be distracted as they're driving by distracting them while they're driving is a brilliant plan. Foolproof.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2015, 01:31 PM   #35
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Came for over the top polak rant, leaving satisfied.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2015, 01:43 PM   #36
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think that this is great and sensible. What are we talking here...15-20 seconds added to your drive? I think we can survive the added inconvenience for the added safety.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2015, 01:44 PM   #37
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

What's the hurry through residential neighbourhoods? Too many morons driving too fast out there, I welcome 1 zone that is valid year round.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2015, 01:49 PM   #38
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
Wow. #### this.

</rage>
</rant>
I know that you're ranting and its probably for effect at this point, but the park in our community is super busy, more so in the summer. I see people sped through there as it is with it being a playground zone, but the effects of not having that zone would likely be disastrous in my opinion.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2015, 01:52 PM   #39
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I know that you're ranting and its probably for effect at this point, but the park in our community is super busy, more so in the summer. I see people sped through there as it is with it being a playground zone, but the effects of not having that zone would likely be disastrous in my opinion.

But the drivers won't someone think of the drivers. They might have to add an additional 30-60 secs to their commute, oh why won't someone think of the drivers.
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2015, 01:53 PM   #40
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not too concerned about the extra 30 seconds added to my day, but this is just a cash grab. zones in effect at 8:45 in January? Lol. Okay, sure. Think of the children... whatever

If this is actually an issue the only way to curb it is DIRECT enforcement. NOT photo radar. Yet I wonder what we'll see, the solution that actually works, or the one that's just to make money.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote