Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-02-2015, 02:33 PM   #41
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
I really want to see Harper finally get the boot, he's done so much to tarnish Canada's reputation at home and abroad, but the liberals keep electing terrible leader after terrible leader, it's like they don't really want to get back in charge. NDP seems like the only viable option to get Harper out, but they would need to run an incredibly strong campaign with a sensible message to counter all the radical policy talk from the other sides

Best case scenario I see actually unfolding is a Harper minority, but I wouldn't at all be surprised to see that a-hole get another majority simply due to how weak his competition is
I think the NDP will surprise, much in the same way they did in Alberta. It won't be a shellacking the way it was here, but I think the worries about them having bad fiscal policy have softened in recent years. Plus, it's not like the Conservatives have the economic numbers to back them up anyway.

Whomever wins though, I think a minority is likely. My worry is that there is too much vote splitting between the Liberals and the NDP.
Old 08-02-2015, 02:41 PM   #42
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm really interested in seeing how the Calgary vote goes. I don't except the vote here shifting to the NDP as it did in the provincial election. I think my riding has a pretty solid and respectable Conservative nomination, Len Webber. I haven't been able to find an NDP or Liberal running yet.
Old 08-02-2015, 03:05 PM   #43
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by worth View Post
Eleven week election campaign is ludicrous. Shame on the conservatives.

I'm in Calgary centre. No way I'm voting conservative. Really dislike Kent Hehr and the liberals. Voting NDP federally is death to Alberta. Having a provincial NDP government is fine as they are looking out for the interests of Albertans, but have no faith that they would do the same federally. I'll likely vote green, numbers were quite respectable in Calgary center last election.
If the NDP wins federally they won't be dealing with the enemy, they'll be dealing with a fellow NDP government.
Old 08-02-2015, 03:34 PM   #44
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daradon View Post
Accidentally?

Pretty sure we elected them on purpose.
I've talked to people who voted NDP in protest and never thought they'd get elected and regretted their vote.

It was a joke. I don't think that actually happened.
Old 08-02-2015, 03:43 PM   #45
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

God damnit... you know what I was just thinking today? That I could really use 78 days of phone harassment on the part of political parties, pollsters, other callers with vested interests along with a bombardment of annoying commercials, and door knockers, all the time eating up time for other stories on the news, all for the low low price of half a billion dollars... I really needed that over the 40 days that it can all be done in typically (and $125,000,000.00 cheaper ticket to the tax payer). Thanks Harper!

Last edited by Parallex; 08-02-2015 at 03:47 PM.
Old 08-02-2015, 04:27 PM   #46
c.t.ner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Sorry, this grinds my gears to no end, but there is no such thing as the federal PCs. The federal PCs and the Reform/Canadian Alliance party both died when the merger happened in 2003. I know it's nit picky, but when ever I see someone reference the federal PCs they automatically lose credibility. It is like calling the San Jose sharks the Minnesota North Stars.

Last edited by c.t.ner; 08-02-2015 at 04:30 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to c.t.ner For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2015, 04:29 PM   #47
c.t.ner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Back to the topic of the federal election and I wouldn't have said this a few months ago, but I'm calling a NDP Majority (barely) in October. I personally hope I'm dead wrong, but that's the way I think things will fall together by October 19th rolls around.
Old 08-02-2015, 04:35 PM   #48
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.t.ner View Post
Sorry, this grinds my gears to no end, but there is no such thing as the federal PCs. The federal PCs and the Reform/Canadian Alliance party both died when the merger happened in 2003. I know it's nit picky, but when ever I see someone reference the federal PCs they automatically lose credibility. It is like calling the San Jose sharks the Minnesota North Stars.
Actually, it'd be more akin to saying the current incarnation of the Jets are the same as the original incarnation of the Jets, as they were/are two separate franchises, but I get what your saying.

That's generally why I just say Conservatives. Cause they are that, and it is the short form. But yes, the full name would be the Conservative Party of Canada, and the full abbreviation would be the CPC.

The Progressive Conservative (PC) Party is no more federally. Both in name, and by the fact that they aren't really progressive to be honest.
The Following User Says Thank You to Daradon For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2015, 04:45 PM   #49
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This is what being pedantic is all about. You're technically correct, but socially incorrect. Everyone knows what you mean when you say federal PCs, so its usage is fine in such contexts.

When people used "literally" incorrect so much the definition changes to include the figurative use of literal as a hyperbole, I gave up correcting internet grammar since I realized you can't win being pedantic. Oh, and the fact language is a social construct where everything just means what we assign it to mean.
Old 08-02-2015, 06:15 PM   #50
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Back to the topic of the federal election and I wouldn't have said this a few months ago, but I'm calling a NDP Majority (barely) in October. I personally hope I'm dead wrong, but that's the way I think things will fall together by October 19th rolls around.
God help Alberta if that happened.
Old 08-02-2015, 07:54 PM   #51
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

In past federal elections, we've had a couple threads, one for all the regular election debate, and one just for discussing polls, demographics, predictions, and such, with a minimum of party rhetoric. Is there an appetite for doing the same again? I love following polls hearing predictions and the logic behind them, but I hate having to wade through many pages of partisan arguments. Let me know if you'd like to see a separate thread with that focus.
Old 08-02-2015, 07:57 PM   #52
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by octothorp View Post
In past federal elections, we've had a couple threads, one for all the regular election debate, and one just for discussing polls, demographics, predictions, and such, with a minimum of party rhetoric. Is there an appetite for doing the same again? I love following polls hearing predictions and the logic behind them, but I hate having to wade through many pages of partisan arguments. Let me know if you'd like to see a separate thread with that focus.
Please feel free to start the appropriate threads.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:02 PM   #53
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

One of those years of wishing for a Bloc candidate in Calgary.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:06 PM   #54
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Yes to separate threads, imo. It's going to get crazy on CP in the coming months, and I can see it getting overwhelming to catch up if you miss a day here and there with one thread.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:11 PM   #55
bomber317
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

anyway we can put ourselves on Do Not Call for the robocalls?

After getting bombarded during the Alberta election, it'll be nice not to take so many calls.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:50 PM   #56
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
God help Alberta if that happened.
Such ridiculous hyperbole
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2015, 10:29 PM   #57
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

I want to know why that one attack ad mentions Trudeau's hair.

What's next, "he's got a great ass, though"?

So stupid.
Old 08-02-2015, 10:43 PM   #58
chubeyr1
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Hoping for a majority PC win! Minority governments get nothing done and waste even more money.

I hate the PC party! Not a fan of Harper!

Trudeau is a joke, and the NDP will turn an economic slump into a disaster/crisis.

I cant see how any logical person could support any party or leader fully. Something to hate about all of them!
Old 08-02-2015, 10:52 PM   #59
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

It is a remarkable coincidence that this election is taking place while I'm home for one week only for the first time in years. Better start doing my homework as I haven't really been keeping up with Canadian politics.
Old 08-02-2015, 11:20 PM   #60
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Party Elephant View Post
It is a remarkable coincidence that this election is taking place while I'm home for one week only for the first time in years. Better start doing my homework as I haven't really been keeping up with Canadian politics.
Depends how long you've been away. If you've been non-resident for five years, you don't get a vote anyways. Your views may be irrelevant to the election process.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
Closed Thread