Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2015, 08:44 PM   #1361
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

As a dog lover, I have no defense for pitbulls. the breed is a dangerous one, full stop. i see no issue with banning them on a go forward basis, and letting the current generation live out their natural lives legally with no consequence. most of them are probably just fine, but they're built to be aggressive and do major damage. they're furry weapons.
White Out 403 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2015, 08:46 PM   #1362
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
This is not the consequence of banning pit bulls. What is the net harm of not being able to have a pit bull and instead having to choose another breed. Outside of Silver no one is advocating banning dogs.
I'm with Sliver on that one.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 03:22 PM   #1363
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Vicious pit bull attack on an 80-year-old man on June 16, 2015. This one didn't seem to make the news (that I saw), but Reddit was all over it.

http://imgur.com/a/CB3tL

Looks like the owner ran away and left the injured man on the ground, hid the dog, and lied to peace officers about the whole thing when confronted. Seems like they eventually got the truth out of her though.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Calgary/comm...and_dog_found/
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 03:38 PM   #1364
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Pretty much every western country has some sorts of Dog Breed Bans.

Just do it already. It's so pointless that we allow Pitbulls to fall in the hands of irresponsible owners.

https://petolog.com/articles/banned-dogs
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to polak For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2015, 01:35 PM   #1365
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Child attacked and mauled by pitbull and left with serious facial injuries.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2015/09/01...acial-injuries
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 11:55 PM   #1366
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

Ontario Ban on "pitbulls" has proven to be totally ineffective at reducing the number of dog bites.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2527882/to...tes-than-ever/

Quote:
In 2005, in the wake of disturbing dog attacks, Ontario passed a law designed to permanently remove pit bulls — and dogs that looked like them — from the province. ... Under the law, four breeds (pit bull terriers, American Staffordshire terriers, Staffordshire bull terriers and American pit bull terriers) had to be kept muzzled or leashed in public and sterilized within two months of the bill’s passage. It also became illegal to import them into the province.
The law certainly succeeded in cutting bites by the four affected breeds — Toronto recorded only 19 in 2014, down from 112 in 2005.
What it hasn’t succeeded in doing is reducing the total number of dog bites (though it looked that way for a time). Toronto’s reported dog bites have been rising since 2012, and in 2013 and 2014 reached their highest levels this century, even as pit bulls and similar dogs neared local extinction.
“I’m not surprised at all by those statistics,” says Parkdale-High Park MPP Cheri DiNovo, an opponent of breed-specific bans. “I would think they were inevitable.”

DiNovo favours a system more like Calgary’s, where officials avoided breed-based bans while promoting education of dog owners and children, combined with enforcement. Bites in Calgary have dropped dramatically since the mid-1980s.

By 2012, the Ontario Veterinary Medical Association estimated that the law had led to over 1,000 dogs and puppies in Ontario having been needlessly put down.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 05:48 AM   #1367
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I wonder if the severity of the attacks have changed at all? Bites may be up but take out Pit Bulls and I bet the resulting injuries have lessened.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2016, 05:55 AM   #1368
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Yeah, no kidding. What a stupid article. If a bad owner isn't allowed to own a pitbull, he's still going to get a dog. He'll still train that dog like crap, and that dog will still go out and attack someone.

The point of the ban is to lessen the severity of an attack by preventing white trash from buying their preferred breed, so instead of ripping someone to shreds, they just need a few stitches. Nobody expects fewer attacks with a breed ban; they expect less gruesome ones.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2016, 09:37 AM   #1369
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
I wonder if the severity of the attacks have changed at all? Bites may be up but take out Pit Bulls and I bet the resulting injuries have lessened.

The article itself suggested that there was no reporting of the seriousness of the bites, only that a doctor was involved, so in some cases because of rabies concerns and not the severity.

The 2004 study also looked like it didn't attacks/bites from mixed breeds bites.

It doesn't really seem clear that the breed ban in Toronto didn't work if they're leaving out bite from 2004 and including them in the last study, and also ignoring the seriousness of the bites.

Though I am sure a Rottweiler or German Shepard bite could be painful.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 01:41 PM   #1370
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

Whenever I'm walking my unneutered male lab at the dog walk, I am constantly surveying the area for pitbulls. Fortunately 90% are harmless. However, all it takes is that one animal who is raised by that young, over aggressive individual with a "my dog can beat your dog" mentality who should never be allowed to own such a dog.

If banning pitbulls is not feasible, then I believe, at the very least, they should all be muzzled in public. In the hands of the wrong individual, they are akin to a dangerous weapon.
flamesfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 03:21 PM   #1371
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It is interesting on how bites were increasing in Toronto. I wonder if it is because of less options for people to exercise, train and socialize their dogs. I doubt there are more dogs out there.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 04:52 PM   #1372
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudoreality View Post
It is interesting on how bites were increasing in Toronto. I wonder if it is because of less options for people to exercise, train and socialize their dogs. I doubt there are more dogs out there.
Personally I think it's because people think their dogs are children instead of dogs.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 12:35 PM   #1373
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jesus.

http://news.nationalpost.com/toronto...mauled-in-park

A Toronto man has been charged after a heart wrenching photo allegedly showed the moment he gathered his four large dogs and hurried away from an arthritic 81-year-old man whose dachshund had just been mauled to death.

Kurt Haupt told the Toronto Sun that he heard a yelp from his furry companion shortly before noon, and when he turned around, he saw a large dog with its jaws around Dacky. The other three dogs pounced and viciously tore at Haupt’s beloved dachshund.

“After the second bite, she was for sure dead,” Haupt told the Sun. “My little dog. She loved everybody. She was so friendly.”

Haupt, who is single and childless, said he has “never loved anything more than his dog.”

He knew the 14-year-old daschund would eventually die, but he “didn’t want (it) to end that way.”

What made the tragic mauling worse was that the owner of the killer dogs rounded up his animals and walked away from Haupt as he cradled his dying best friend in his arms.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 12:45 PM   #1374
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^^ Who needs four big dogs? Seriously? What kind of desperate insecurity and lack of status is a guy like that trying to make up for?

Edit: I see it's a 46 year old loser who lives in his parents' basement.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 03-16-2016 at 12:48 PM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2016, 02:02 PM   #1375
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Wow, that is a sad story. I hope those 5 dogs are rehabilitated and adopted out to quality, responsible owners. He isn't one obviously. That guy shouldn't ever be allowed to own a dog again. That should be something the law should be able to enforce.

This again isn't the breeds fault, it is the owners fault. Likely didn't train those dogs properly or have enough time to do it. We have a couple of dogs and that is tough enough, I can't imagine having 5 strong dogs to train. That is just plain silly.
Old 03-16-2016, 02:12 PM   #1376
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by foshizzle11 View Post
Wow, that is a sad story. I hope those 5 dogs are rehabilitated and adopted out to quality, responsible owners. He isn't one obviously. That guy shouldn't ever be allowed to own a dog again. That should be something the law should be able to enforce.

This again isn't the breeds fault, it is the owners fault. Likely didn't train those dogs properly or have enough time to do it. We have a couple of dogs and that is tough enough, I can't imagine having 5 strong dogs to train. That is just plain silly.
You don't think it's the giant aggressive dog's fault in any way? Because I haven't heard of many wiener dogs doing this lately, regardless of how good or bad the owner may be.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2016, 02:14 PM   #1377
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Yeah yeah yeah we know it isn't the dog fault. But you are never going to be able to control all owners, so it comes down to the breeds and how much damage they can do. That's what this is about.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 02:28 PM   #1378
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

My dog has been attacked and if I wasn't 100% alert standing right on top of the other dog (pit bull), I probably wouldn't have been able to smack it and pull it off in time. Or if I had decided not to go on that walk with my wife. My dog would likely be dead.

Certain breeds attract certain kinds of people who think it's "sick bro" to have a pit bull.

Really feel for the owner of the killed dog here. Though - and this is a stretch...at least it was an old dog who lived a long (and by the sounds of it) happy life.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 02:32 PM   #1379
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

lol As has been said many times already, no need to have dogs like that. It's not some god given right for people to have big, aggressive breeds that can do a lot of damage.

Also this idea that dogs don't have different temperaments, aggression levels and personalities (per se, personality might be a strong word) is ridiculous. Just like people, some dogs are just dicks and need to be removed from society. Save me the sob stories about how it's never the dogs fault they mauled someone.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to polak For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2016, 02:32 PM   #1380
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ugh, why do I insist on opening these threads when they get updated? I'm always sickened by what's posted. That's horrible, that poor man and poor Dacky.

That's no way to go, and certainly no way to helplessly watch your best friend go.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dog attack puppy barking