Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 04:27 PM   #1321
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Just took the quiz as well. Some of the questions are either very loaded, or not specific enough to answer. This one bugged me: "Abortions should be allowed in all cases, regardless of the reason."

I have no problem with abortions at all. But to allow them in ALL cases to me, means those that are going over currently recognized term limit. I'm not OK with aborting a fetus beyond that point (1st trimester). I don't know enough about the medical side to know when that drop dead point should be.
Note: there is no term limit for abortions in Canada. It's legal to abort an embryo/fetus at any time for any reason.
Old 09-02-2015, 06:20 PM   #1322
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hmm interesting. I didn't know that. I thought there was a limit. Or would clinics set their own limits, if they so chose?
Old 09-02-2015, 07:42 PM   #1323
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, uhh, this apparently happened today. Yikes

The Leslie Stojsic tweet has the video (or all over twitter now mind you), I'm trying to figure out how to embed it here, sorry .

But you need to watch it. Maybe this is why the PMO limits media questions...

A CBC Journalist Destroyed Canada’s Immigration Minister Over Syrian Refugees
http://www.buzzfeed.com/emmaloop/a-j...syr#.oieVZzkxo

Leslie Stojsic ‏@LeslieCBC 3h3 hours ago
P&P covered Syrian refugees 32x since 2011. Incl 5 debates & 1x1 intv w/ @calxandr. Many more intv requests denied.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/09...n_8079976.html

An exchange between Rosemary Barton and Chris Alexander escalated quickly Wednesday, after the Conservative candidate tried to slip a lie past the Power & Politics host.

The discussion focused on the ongoing conflict in Syrian and whether or not Canada will step up its involvement in the crisis after “horrific” photos of a drowned migrant boy were published by media earlier in the day.

Last edited by RedHot25; 09-02-2015 at 08:10 PM.
Old 09-02-2015, 09:18 PM   #1324
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHot25 View Post

The Leslie Stojsic tweet has the video (or all over twitter now mind you), I'm trying to figure out how to embed it here, sorry .

P&P covered Syrian refugees 32x since 2011. Incl 5 debates & 1x1 intv w/ @calxandr. Many more intv requests denied.

An exchange between Rosemary Barton and Chris Alexander escalated quickly Wednesday, after the Conservative candidate tried to slip a lie past the Power & Politics host.

The discussion focused on the ongoing conflict in Syrian and whether or not Canada will step up its involvement in the crisis after “horrific” photos of a drowned migrant boy were published by media earlier in the day.
Wow, that guy got destroyed. I was thinking it wasn't too bad for a while, but the part where he tries to go after Barton is almost cringe-worthy. She just hammers him!

Overall I think she is pretty fair, as she puts Dewar in line earlier as well, but the it seems like Alexander just got under her skin and she tore into him. Pretty funny to watch in that sense.
Old 09-02-2015, 09:20 PM   #1325
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHot25 View Post

And I feel like when Chris Alexander got home and sat down to unwind from his day his only thought, after the late tweet about how the panels on this issue should happen more than every two months, was something along the lines of "Ha! Got 'em!"

That or "Nailed it."

What an absolute farce.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 09-02-2015, 09:25 PM   #1326
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

I would expect a cabinet minister, especially federally, to be more prepared and polished than that.

The journalist was over the top at the end though, she made her point already and sticking the dagger in at the end probably wasn't a good choice, to me it made her look petty.
Old 09-02-2015, 09:39 PM   #1327
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delgar View Post
I would expect a cabinet minister, especially federally, to be more prepared and polished than that.

The journalist was over the top at the end though, she made her point already and sticking the dagger in at the end probably wasn't a good choice, to me it made her look petty.
Yeah that could be true, but she really killed him with the comment he was making that its been building for a few years and she asked "why didn't the government act sooner?" To me that was the real dagger here.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:46 PM   #1328
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
What I find interesting is that Harper haters should welcome the topic - not reject it - as I am sure that though foreign policy is low on most people's lists, I doubt the CPC is aligned with most Canadians on this.
As a Harper hater, foreign policy, pipelines, and free trade are the areas where I am most aligned with the CPC.
The Following User Says Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2015, 06:17 AM   #1329
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Wow he suspended his campaign! That was unexpected.
Old 09-03-2015, 06:31 AM   #1330
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bizarre. He was supposed to appear on Canada AM this morning, but "temporarily suspended" his campaign. Does that mean he just wants to skip that interview to avoid a repeat?

There are new allegations that the boy, (who's photo brought this to the worlds attention yesterday), had applied to Canada for refugee status and been rejected.
Old 09-03-2015, 06:54 AM   #1331
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delgar View Post

Yeah. From a journalistic perspective, there is a line between becoming moderating discussion and becoming the news.
That said, the minister is a obviously a goof.

My assumption was the length of campaign would benefit the CPC. It's becoming obvious that is not the case.
Old 09-03-2015, 07:24 AM   #1332
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Bizarre. He was supposed to appear on Canada AM this morning, but "temporarily suspended" his campaign. Does that mean he just wants to skip that interview to avoid a repeat?

There are new allegations that the boy, (who's photo brought this to the worlds attention yesterday), had applied to Canada for refugee status and been rejected.

It's a complicated issue sometimes. Refugees are supposed to declare it the first safe country they arrive in (which for most of the Syrians, would be either Turkey or Greece). However, many if not most have been illegally (often paying big money through human trafficking rings/gangs) moving through Turkey, Greece, Macedonia, Serbia, and Hungary before declaring presumably because those countries don't have the economic and welfare opportunities that countries like Germany, UK and Canada have. At that point, they often get classified as economic migrants and not political refugees. The proper course of action is to declare in the first safe country, then apply to come to go to another country.

The inability for the system to look at the situations in anything but black and white is a problem, but it would also be abused quite heavily if they didn't have those restrictions. Not sure if this particular boy was in that position. I guess Turkey would have records and they will be made public if there is anything scandalous.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 09-03-2015 at 09:04 AM.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:11 AM   #1333
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

And now he's "suspended" his campaign to return to Ottawa. Gotta imagine if the CPC does win again he's finished as a cabinet minister.
Quote:
Conservative Immigration Minister Chris Alexander temporarily suspended his re-election campaign Thursday to return to Ottawa as news spread that the Syrian-Kurdish boy who washed up drowned on a Turkish beach was trying to reach Canada.

Canada rejected a refugee application from the boy’s family in June. Port Moody-Coquitlam NDP MP Fin Donnelly said he had hand-delivered the Kurdis’ file to Alexander in March.

The photo of the lifeless three-year-old boy, Aylan, after washing up on the shore made front pages around world Thursday. His brother, Galip Kurdi, five, their mother, Rehan, and eight other refugees died when their boat overturned in a desperate flight from Turkey to the Greek island of Kos. The boys’ father, Abdullah, survived.
Quote:
"The tragic photo of young Aylan Kurdi and the news of the death of his brother and mother broke hearts around the world,” Alexander said in a statement Thursday morning. “Like all Canadians, I was deeply saddened by that image and of many other images of the plight of the Syrian and Iraqi migrants fleeing persecution at the hands of ISIS."

“…I am meeting with officials to ascertain both the facts of the case of the Kurdi family and to receive an update on the migrant crisis.”
http://news.nationalpost.com/news/ca...ee-application
Old 09-03-2015, 08:30 AM   #1334
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
It's a complicated issue sometimes. Refugees are supposed to declare it the first safe country they arrive in (which for most of the Syrians, would be either Turkey or Greece). However, many if not most have been illegally (often through human trafficking rings) moving through Turkey, Greece, Macedonia, Serbia, and Hungary before declaring presumably because those countries don't have the economic and welfare opportunities that countries like Germany, UK and Canada have. At that point, they often get classified as economic migrants and not political refugees. The proper course of action is to declare in the first safe country, then apply to come to go to another country.

The inability for the system to look at the situations in anything but black and white is a problem, but it would also be abused quite heavily if they didn't have those restrictions. Not sure if this particular boy was in that position. I guess Turkey would have records and they will be made public if there is anything scandalous.
I think the reason they applied to Canada was because the fathers sister lives in Vancouver, and she was sponsoring them. I really don't know much about how that process works and I don't think that blaming Alexander here is fair. The thing is that when you have a high profile case combined with his attitude and opinion just yesterday he is going to look silly for suspending his campaign a day later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
And now he's "suspended" his campaign to return to Ottawa. Gotta imagine if the CPC does win again he's finished as a cabinet minister.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/ca...ee-application
This is amusing. I mean he pointed out yesterday that the problem has been building and there are millions of displaced people. Obviously he got flamed on TV yesterday, so now suddenly its an important issue? He had plenty of time to deal with this crisis before and get a handle on things and was obviously not doing it.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:37 AM   #1335
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm assuming he got lambasted in house for media blaming. That's so incredibly stupid.

It's a tragic story, but the reality is not all can be 'saved'. Sad but true. That's an unfortunate, but reasonable response.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:43 AM   #1336
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
I'm assuming he got lambasted in house for media blaming. That's so incredibly stupid.

It's a tragic story, but the reality is not all can be 'saved'. Sad but true. That's an unfortunate, but reasonable response.
Of course you can't, but frankly that guys attitude combined with the tragic circumstances and rejected application on top of that pretty much destroyed his credibility in this case.
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2015, 08:52 AM   #1337
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

The best part was him ripping on her and the media for not covering it...yet I've read they've (Politics&Power) covered it more than 30 times in the last few months. It was just a bizarre interview that will be very costly to him.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:17 AM   #1338
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Taking it a notch higher, it is deeply shameful how few refugees we are accepting in light of this crisis and all Canadians should feel embarrassed and disgraced.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:34 AM   #1339
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not saying Canada shouldn't be doing more, but it's pretty striking to me that none of the rich Gulf states in the region are willing to do anything to help out. I think if anyone needs more pressure on them to do more, its those countries.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:46 AM   #1340
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
I'm not saying Canada shouldn't be doing more, but it's pretty striking to me that none of the rich Gulf states in the region are willing to do anything to help out. I think if anyone needs more pressure on them to do more, its those countries.
Getting rid of Shias, Christians, moderate Sunnis, and non-religious Syrians probably suits most of those states just fine at the moment. I just hope they don't come crying once ISIS is wreaking havoc within their borders.