Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2015, 08:46 AM   #1
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:
Default Icelanders offer their homes, help for Syrian refugees

Thought this was a really nice feel good story. The government decided to take in 50 refugees from the Syria crisis, but locals got fed up with the right wing anger over even such a petty amount and responded with a call to our government to step up by showing how many are ready to help in any way that they can.

http://www.dw.com/en/pen-selling-syr...ded/a-18684811

Quote:
Thousands of Icelanders have called on their government to take in more Syrian refugees – with many offering to accomodate them in their own homes and give them language lessons.

Iceland, which has a population of just over 300,000, has currently capped the number of refugees it accepts at 50.

Author and professor Bryndis Bjorgvinsdottir put out a call on Facebook on Sunday asking for Icelanders to speak out if they wanted the government to do more to help those fleeing Syria. More than 12,000 people have responded to her Facebook group “Syria is calling” to sign an open letter to their welfare minister, Eygló Harðar.

Speaking on Iceland’s RÚV television, Bjorgvinsdottir said her country’s attitude was being changed by the tragic news reports. “I think people have had enough of seeing news stories from the Mediterranean and refugee camps of dying people and they want something done now,” she said.

“Refugees are human resources, they have experience and skills,” the Icelandic letter reads.

“Refugees are our future spouses, best friends, or soulmates, the drummer for the band of our children, our next colleague, Miss Iceland in 2022, the carpenter who finally finished the bathroom, the cook in the cafeteria, the fireman, the computer genius, or the television host.”

Many of those posting on the group have said they would offer up their homes and skills to help refugees integrate. “I have clothing, kitchenware, bed and a room in Hvanneyri [western Iceland], which I am happy to share with Syrians,” one wrote. “I would like to work as a volunteer to help welcome people and assist them with adapting to Icelandic society.”
Also just recently a Icelandic twitter user noticed a man holding a sleeping girl on his shoulders in Lebanon trying to sell pens to get money for food, he started a campaign to raise money for him and find him and that story is all kinds of wonderful:

http://www.techinsider.io/photo-of-a...ll-pens-2015-9

Quote:
A heartbreaking photo of a Syrian refugee selling blue ballpoint pens on the streets of Lebanon went viral — now over $160,000 has been raised on the crowdfunding site Indiegogo to help the man and his young daughter, pictured sleeping on the man's shoulder.

Here's the photo, tweeted by Gissur Simonarson (he told BuzzFeed he was not sure who took the original photo). He posted the photo on August 25.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:47 AM   #2
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I read the title as ''Islanders''

Nice to see Icelanders stepping up.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 08:49 AM   #3
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Just when I thought Iceland couldn't get any more awesome, you guys go and do something like this.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2015, 08:53 AM   #4
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Old 09-01-2015, 08:58 AM   #5
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Absolutely tragic what is happening in the middle East. I hope solutions can be found for the millions who suffer.

Great job to the Icelanders who lobbied their government and offered their homes. Hopefully larger nations will follow.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 09:00 AM   #6
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Back during the Kosovo conflict, my girlfriend's family sponsored an Albanian family who came to live with them in Thunder Bay during the course of the conflict. It was a pretty rewarding experience for them, as I am sure these families in Iceland will find out.
Old 09-01-2015, 04:40 PM   #7
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great that Icelanders did this. On one hand, where can I sign up to be sponsored by an Icelander? Such nice people.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 08:43 PM   #8
WCW Nitro
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Awesome!
WCW Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 12:00 PM   #9
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:

Is the same thing happening in Canada? I am sure that Canada has room and compassion to take in and help a lot of people.
GP_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 12:24 PM   #10
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP_Matt View Post
Is the same thing happening in Canada? I am sure that Canada has room and compassion to take in and help a lot of people.
It would be largely ceremonial. Regardless of whether people are giving refugees a place to stay, they still have to have proper status to remain in the country legally.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2015, 06:14 PM   #11
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
It would be largely ceremonial. Regardless of whether people are giving refugees a place to stay, they still have to have proper status to remain in the country legally.
You can do this...

http://www.cic.gc.ca/ENGLISH/refugees/sponsor/index.asp

I sponsored some Afghans in 2006-7.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2015, 08:34 PM   #12
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Heartbreaking picture being tweeted around the world of a dead Syrian toddler washed up on the shores of Turkey. I can't even bear to post the link. It is a devastating indictment of humanity.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:25 PM   #13
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Yes, I had a heavy heart all day after seeing that picture.

Well done, Iceland! I wish the rest of the world shared your humanity.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Swift For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2015, 08:25 AM   #14
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:

So, all three federal leaders in Canada have stated that they would let in X number of Syrians immediately upon winning office. Is it too much to ask that if they all agree on something it should be done right away and not used for political posturing?
GP_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to GP_Matt For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2015, 08:41 AM   #15
Top Shelf
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

That picture was incredibly sad
Top Shelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 09:16 AM   #16
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
You can do this...

http://www.cic.gc.ca/ENGLISH/refugees/sponsor/index.asp

I sponsored some Afghans in 2006-7.
It's worth mentioning too as much as people hate religion these days, both the Syrian Orthodox Church and Syriac Catholic Churches in Canada are trying to facilitate the movement of refugees into Canada. n I would also imagine some of the mosques and Islamic societies are doing similar things.

When my ex's family did it during the Kosovo conflict, it was through the Catholic Church that some of the funds came from.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:21 AM   #17
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP_Matt View Post
So, all three federal leaders in Canada have stated that they would let in X number of Syrians immediately upon winning office. Is it too much to ask that if they all agree on something it should be done right away and not used for political posturing?
Exactly. While they are human and I'm sure feel compassion themselves, it would be nice to see them implement this right away and toss aside the posturing like you said. How many Syrians are going to die between now and the election/implementation of this?

I was not naive to what's happening over there, but the image of that child really struck a chord for me. My kid just turned 3 this past weekend, so seeing that picture made my heart sink.
MillerTime GFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 09:30 AM   #18
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime GFG View Post
Exactly. While they are human and I'm sure feel compassion themselves, it would be nice to see them implement this right away and toss aside the posturing like you said. How many Syrians are going to die between now and the election/implementation of this?

I was not naive to what's happening over there, but the image of that child really struck a chord for me. My kid just turned 3 this past weekend, so seeing that picture made my heart sink.
Realistically, what can the Liberals do at this moment but promise? The Conservatives as the ruling party and NDP as the official opposition, hold the power at the moment.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 09-03-2015 at 09:34 AM.
FlamesAddiction is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 09:54 AM   #19
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Realistically, what can the Liberals do at this moment but promise? The Conservatives as the ruling party and NDP as the official opposition, hold the power at the moment.
No, I get it, but it would be nice to see those in power implement it now for moral reasons, but would also be a good strategic move.
MillerTime GFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 09:57 AM   #20
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
The could table a bill in the house and force the conservatives to put their money where their mouth is.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote