Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-02-2015, 01:22 PM   #161
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubicleGeek View Post
That infographic is ambiguous. Was the teacher quoted speeding, impaired, or both?

Speeding. The impaired driver was a different person.
Old 09-02-2015, 01:54 PM   #162
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I have no idea if this is posted before or the sources used to create it.
There's a NHTSA study that shows much less likelihood of fatalities:

http://www.nhtsa.gov/people/injury/r.../HS809012.html

An additional study here:

http://www.autoliv.com/ProductsAndIn...osenSander.pdf

One conclusion they made is that if you're hit at 75 kph, you still have 50% chance of surviving.

Last edited by accord1999; 09-02-2015 at 01:59 PM.
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 02:54 PM   #163
blueski
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubicleGeek View Post
That infographic is ambiguous. Was the teacher quoted speeding, impaired, or both?
The teacher was still hammered from the binge the night before but had taken some uppers to help. They drove through the zone 30 times and their fastest speed was 67 km/hr. The traffic stop made them late for work.
blueski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 08:11 PM   #164
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

From today's enforcement

WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 08:11 PM   #165
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Haha I think we can all agree with that last excuse.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 07:11 AM   #166
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post
Haha I think we can all agree with that last excuse.
What I tend to find amusing (excuses are always good) is that I come here and read the posts, and everyone is all "Up the speed limits! We're all good drivers! Fake engineering limits on mah drivering! Go fast tax! Photo radar cash cow!" then you go to the CPS FB page (among others) and see almost the exact opposite sort of going-on's with folks clamoring for limits to be increased, more enforcement, etc.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 07:23 AM   #167
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
What I tend to find amusing (excuses are always good) is that I come here and read the posts, and everyone is all "Up the speed limits! We're all good drivers! Fake engineering limits on mah drivering! Go fast tax! Photo radar cash cow!" then you go to the CPS FB page (among others) and see almost the exact opposite sort of going-on's with folks clamoring for limits to be increased, more enforcement, etc.
It's fair to say the demographics of this forum align pretty closely with habitual speeders.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2015, 08:57 AM   #168
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm in the 'Abolish all School/Playground Zones' camp.

Survival of the fittest, lets let Darwinism do its thing!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 10:10 AM   #169
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
All of those helicopter parents are out there some where. Looks like its FB and not CP. Or at least the ones on CP no better than to expose themselves.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 10:15 AM   #170
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

The term helicopter parent is being used to dismiss sensible changes to make things safer.
CF's post is bang on. The likelihood of serious injury at 50K is much higher than at 30K.
Just slow the F down.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2015, 10:18 AM   #171
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
The term helicopter parent is being used to dismiss sensible changes to make things safer.
CF's post is bang on. The likelihood of serious injury at 50K is much higher than at 30K.
Just slow the F down.
Or just take an alternate route. I certainly won't be using Elbow drive to make my way south before 9pm anymore. It's essentially just one massive playground zone now.
Frank MetaMusil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 10:19 AM   #172
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
All of those helicopter parents are out there some where. Looks like its FB and not CP. Or at least the ones on CP no better than to expose themselves.
Helicopter parenting = hovering over your kids, controlling their lives, and never giving them any independence. How does that correlate to wanting speed limits enforced in residential areas? I want speeding deterred so that I can let my kids have independence and not be a helicopter parent. But I have a tough time letting them walk around the neighbourhood by themselves when every 15 minutes or so I hear a car with no muffler and likely driven by a 28-year-old with poor self-control blasting down the curving road in front of my house doing 60k.

Also, kids aren't the only people who walk around communities. You should get out of your car some time and look around.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 09-03-2015 at 10:26 AM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2015, 11:01 AM   #173
CKPThunder
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
There used to be a playground there, but it has been removed. I actually opened up this thread to ask if there is any precedent to getting a playground zone removed. That playground is gone, seems like the playground zone could be too.
I believe the playground where the tennis courts (by the LRT station) is gone but there still is a playground on the other side of the road. Just in the greenspace on the right.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@51.10502...7i13312!8i6656
CKPThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 11:13 AM   #174
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

Helicopter parents are the ones who drive their kids 5 blocks to school. 5 blocks? Are we raising a nation of marshmallows?
Old 09-03-2015, 11:19 AM   #175
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Teach your kid to cross the street like a normal human being.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 11:31 AM   #176
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
Teach your kid to cross the street like a normal human being.

Slow the #### down and have consideration for people other than yourself, like a normal human being.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2015, 11:41 AM   #177
Dagger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If cops want to actually enforce these speeds, they should sit in plain sight, in marked cars at the front of playground zones. Catching people in unmarked cars is merely a cash grab.
Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 11:43 AM   #178
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagger View Post
If cops want to actually enforce these speeds, they should sit in plain sight, in marked cars at the front of playground zones. Catching people in unmarked cars is merely a cash grab.

Couldn't the same be said for every speed trap?
Old 09-03-2015, 11:45 AM   #179
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Slow the #### down and have consideration for people other than yourself, like a normal human being.

I'm actually with polak here. Teach them to keep their heads up, out of their phones, with atleast 1 open ear, use proper crossing methods, wait for drivers to acknowledge, and THEN cross. Seems like a win-win, as it could pull them away from becoming smartphone zombies a little too.
TSXCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 11:53 AM   #180
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSXCman View Post
I'm actually with polak here. Teach them to keep their heads up, out of their phones, with atleast 1 open ear, use proper crossing methods, wait for drivers to acknowledge, and THEN cross. Seems like a win-win, as it could pull them away from becoming smartphone zombies a little too.
How many 6,7,8,9,10 yr olds have smart phones.

The issue isn't just teaching them to use the crosswalk. The crosswalk doesn't provide some sort of force field. Those drivers are also looking at their phones, messing with their radio, putting on mascara, and any other number of things. Drivers do not spend 100% of their time aware of what is happening on the road.

People have posted studies that show that a reduction of speed down to 30 km/hr increase survival rates in vehicle vs. pedestrian collisions.

It is beyond me, why there is a backlash to this move. I will preface this by saying that I can get behind a review of playground/school zones and whether or not a particular one is needed.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post: