Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Ask An Educator
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2015, 01:34 PM   #1
Peanut
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Multi-age (split grade) classes

Both of my in-laws are retired teachers, so I plan to pick their brains about this as well, but they retired a number of years ago and I know the profession moves forward and things change. So their opinions might be slightly out-of-date.

With that precursor out of the way - I'm wondering what is the current thinking among educators with regards to split classes (or "multi-age" classes)? What would be the reasoning for an elementary school to have exclusively multi-age classes, even though there are multiple classes at each level (i.e. multiple 1/2 splits, multiple 3/4 splits, etc.)? To me it seems like an advanced child would thrive in the younger grade of a multi-age class, but then would be bored in the older year of the multi-age class? And for a slower child, wouldn't they struggle being in a class with older kids learning more advanced material? And isn't it way more work for the teacher to manage? There is enough children in each grade to have dedicated Grade 1, Grade 2, etc. classes.

I guess I'm only really seeing downsides and not able to see what the potential upsides are. And really not sure why the entire school would be structured in this multi-age fashion.

Advice/input appreciated from any of the educators here or any parents who have experience with this type of learning setting!!
Old 06-23-2015, 02:02 PM   #2
chid
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

My entire school has multi-aging classrooms, we've only ever had straight grades when the numbers of kids didn't work.

Coming in as a teacher I was very intimidated by this, the curriculum gets muddy, and the parents have a million questions about how little Johnny who is the older won't get challenged enough, or how little Sally who is the younger is going to have issues and fall behind.

I have since been teaching a 5/6 split grade for the past three years and am really starting to see the benefits.

Our school tackles the curriculum in a 2 year looping system. Assuming I get the student in Grade 5 and then again in Grade 6, the process works beautifully. It gets a bit tough when a new student arrives in Grade 6 and has to adjust to this system.

Essentially, I teach ALL the math - both 5/6. How do I do this? Stations, games, challenges, and sometimes whole class lessons with Grade 5 and Grade 6 specific tasks. That was the hardest part, being responsible for 2 math curriculum but having only one of me.
Science and Social Studies is easy, we do 1/2 the topics from each grade in one year. Then the next year we do the other 1/2. So in Science last year I taught Trees & Forests (6), Evidence & Investigation (6), Weather (5), and Magnetism/Electricity (5). This year I taught the other half of both grades.

So you can see the issue of a student coming into my classroom ONLY for Gr 6. For their PAT, they'd be missing half the units - but surprisingly even though this happens, they still have done well on the PATs as they get a down and dirty review of it beforehand.

The rest of the curriculum bodes well with multi-aging so it isn't an issue, I modify as needed for various levels - not grades anyways. So if a Gr. 6 is struggling they might get the same modifications as a Gr 5. I don't treat them as two separate groups of students.

Apart from the curriculum, the benefits socially are huge. The older students get a leadership opportunity. They come back in Sept already knowing the teacher, the routines, and getting the chance to show the 5s the ropes. The 5s get a chance to be challenged. Peer teaching and learning is huge in our community. Working both ways (5 teaching 6, 6 teaching 5).

Honestly, I wouldn't worry so much about multi-aging, and focus more on how the teacher manages the classroom. My classroom community functions extremely well, there are no issues with a Gr 5 "struggling" with higher content because a good teacher makes whatever the content is, work for the child. In my room I have Gr. 1 level readers with Gr. 9 level readers, and we make it work.

Parents always are skeptical at first, but now that I am experienced in teaching in a split grade I am able to put their worries at ease when I explain the benefits of it, and they really like the fact that they get to have a teacher for 2 years - it really helps to develop a great relationship both with the families, the kid, and the community.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to chid For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2015, 06:29 PM   #3
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

I teach in a 5/6 classroom as well, and I'll echo a lot of what chid has said. A lot of social benefits and there are no issues with 5's struggling with higher content, or 6's being bored. A good teacher will be able to challenge all levels of students. I have students from Kindergarten to Grade 8 or 9 reading levels, some who can barely write their name and some who could plan and write a decent novel. You're going to get that in any classroom, regardless of what year the kids were born in.

We loop 2 years as well, with half the Social and Science units one year and the other half the next. This year we did Classroom Chemistry (5), Trees & Forests (6), Air, Aerodynamics & Flight (6) and Sky Science (6). Next year we will do Evidence & Investigation (6), Electricity and Magnetism (5), Wetlands (5), and Weather Watch (5).