Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-20-2017, 10:56 AM   #21
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was there recently for work. I'd say the Black Friar (conveniently located by Blackfriars station) and the Prospect of Whitby were my favourite pubs there.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2017, 11:15 AM   #22
Sakic19
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Was there last year. For a cheap evening head to Mother Mash and then to the comedy store.
Sakic19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sakic19 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2017, 01:07 PM   #23
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveway View Post
I'm not sure about the others, but I know the Tate Modern Art Museum is free.

Definitely one of the best art museums in the world.
The Tate modern is literally the worst museum in the world. I can't express how ####ty this place is. It is inconceivable how bad the "art" is. One piece was a mirror and was submitted by two people. Do absolutely anything else in London besides going there. It should be called the Taint Modern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2017, 01:09 PM   #24
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Some people just have no appreciation for art.

(I'm one of them)
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 01:21 PM   #25
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
The Tate modern is literally the worst museum in the world. I can't express how ####ty this place is. It is inconceivable how bad the "art" is. One piece was a mirror and was submitted by two people. Do absolutely anything else in London besides going there. It should be called the Taint Modern.
I remember going there and leaving and commenting: "The admission was a ripoff."

And yes, admission is free.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2017, 03:08 PM   #26
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I remember going there and leaving and commenting: "The admission was a ripoff."

And yes, admission is free.
I don't know, I enjoyed being able to look at works by Picasso, Warhol, Dali, Pollock, etc. for free. If I came across anything I didn't like I just kept walking.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 03:25 PM   #27
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
I don't know, I enjoyed being able to look at works by Picasso, Warhol, Dali, Pollock, etc. for free. If I came across anything I didn't like I just kept walking.
That's the National Gallery I think, not the Tate? The Tate is literally things like mirrors, duct work and pictures of a guys junk. The National Gallery has da Vinci, Van Gogh, Renoir and a lot of amazing pieces. I am far from an art afficionado, but I thoroughly enjoyed that.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2017, 04:27 PM   #28
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

NSFW!

Last edited by Canada 02; 07-20-2017 at 04:31 PM.
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 04:37 PM   #29
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, I dont think we're talking about the same place.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 07-20-2017, 04:44 PM   #30
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
That's the National Gallery I think, not the Tate? The Tate is literally things like mirrors, duct work and pictures of a guys junk. The National Gallery has da Vinci, Van Gogh, Renoir and a lot of amazing pieces. I am far from an art afficionado, but I thoroughly enjoyed that.
No, the National Gallery is generally pre-1900 and Tate Modern is mostly (or maybe completely) post-1900 artists and works.
Old 07-20-2017, 04:48 PM   #31
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Yeah, I dont think we're talking about the same place.
I don't know what to say, did you go through the whole place? Right now there are 6 pieces by Picasso, 3-4 by Warhol, a few by Dali, and many others all on display in the free sections.
Old 07-20-2017, 04:52 PM   #32
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't know what to say, did you go through the whole place? Right now there are 6 pieces by Picasso, 3-4 by Warhol, a few by Dali, and many others all on display in the free sections.
I think it's about 6 floors? So some of those pieces could be in some areas and then other displays have the more humourous exhibits. I can't recall exactly as I was there two years ago.

Like I say, I thoroughly enjoyed the Tate. It was so ridiculous that it was enjoyable to me. It made me realize that I could definitely be an artist because I could write the description beside it and that's really what makes the piece.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 07:30 AM   #33
Addick
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

As most people will be able to help with the touristy stuff, I'll share some of the cheap and/or day-to-day spots.

Pop Brixton - It'll be cheaper than a sit-down restaurant and hipster pub but it pricey for street food. Nevertheless, it is cool pop-up beer/food hall and has a great atmosphere/vibe.

Southwest London - Richmond and Kingston upon Thames are posh suburbs but they are beautiful river-side towns that show a different side to the city than Central London. It can also be cheap as you can grab a meal deal (£3 for a sandwich/pasta salad + chips/veggies with dip + drink) from a supermarket and sit on the banks of the river. You can also bring a few drinks as you are allowed to drink in public.

Pub Quiz - If you are able to find a pub with a good pub quiz night, you'll be able able to cheaply entertain yourself while soaking up the pub culture with locals.

Thames Clipper / River Bus - One evening, take the tube out to North Greenwich or the DLR to Royal Victoria and the Emirates Air Line (gondola) to North Greenwich. From North Greenwich, take the river bus into central and take in the sights as you speed down the Thames. It has an on-board bar so you can have a cheeky cider.

Food Market - Borough Market is the best food market but it will be full of tourists. Heading to one of the smaller markets would give you a more off the map experience. Either way, do it on the weekend.

A Football Match - It doesn't have to be a Premier League match but it does have to be done. Head down to the ground early and join the supporters at one of the pubs. It is a proper experience and takes place inside and outside of the stadium. Try to get a seat close to where the loudest home supporters sit. It's not dangerous and you'll appreciate what they bring to the experience.

A general piece of advice, you can often easily walk between underground stations. It can save you a few extra quid and you get to see more of the city including some of its hidden gems.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”

- Roberta Brandes Gratz
Addick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Addick For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2017, 02:18 PM   #34
sl888
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
You were probably at the Tate Britain, not the Tate Modern. The Tate Britain is near the Pimlico tube station.

I did a lot in the 2 years I lived in London but I barely covered what the city has to offer. There's just so much to do in London. There's something for everyone.
@ Igotnothing
Let me know what you're interested in and I will try to find a few things to your liking.

Last edited by sl888; 07-23-2017 at 02:28 PM. Reason: .
sl888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 08:21 PM   #35
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The last time I was at the Tate Modern, they had a retrospective of Joan Miro's work, which we enjoyed. Another reason for visiting the Tate Modern is that the museum was repurposed from a 19th century power plant, which makes it a fascinating museum from that fact alone. And there are awesome views of the Millennium Bridge with St. Paul's Cathedral in the background from balconies at Tate Modern. Lots of great photography opportunities. And it was all free!
snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 08:48 PM   #36
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Shopping with a limited budget in London is also possible at various street markets around the city. I've found pretty good deals on clothes and CDs and vinyl in East End London at Old Spitalfields Market and Petticoat Lane Market. This is also in the same area as the various Jack the Ripper tours. Brick Lane, the Bengali ghetto before it was gentrified, is also in the same area and where you can find lots of great Indian food and curries.

Another really good street market is the Camden Lock Market. Lots of yummy food stalls and I got a cool Undertones t-shirt there.
snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 06:24 AM   #37
oilfanforever
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igotnothing View Post
I'm going there! Staying with family over there, and doing everything on the cheap. Any cheap suggestions?

Secondly, can anyone recommend a place to get a plug in adapter for over there for our plugs and whatnot here in the city?

Thanks in advance.
I lived in London for over 6 years prior to moving to Washington D.C. in February.

London is a big city with plenty to do. It would be helpful if you identified a few things you're into, and I can make some recommendations based on that.

Presuming you're into sport, there generally a lot of sporting events you can watch for relatively cheap - cricket at the Oval, League 1 football etc.

Also depending on how long you will be there, if money is tight, get a job working under a table at a pub - that will provide some extra spending dosh, and you're likely to meet a few fun people.
oilfanforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 06:36 AM   #38
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfanforever View Post
I lived in London for over 6 years prior to moving to Washington D.C. in February.

London is a big city with plenty to do. It would be helpful if you identified a few things you're into, and I can make some recommendations based on that.

Presuming you're into sport, there generally a lot of sporting events you can watch for relatively cheap - cricket at the Oval, League 1 football etc.

Also depending on how long you will be there, if money is tight, get a job working under a table at a pub - that will provide some extra spending dosh, and you're likely to meet a few fun people.
What, like shining shoes? Picking up peanut shells?
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 09:20 AM   #39
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
What, like shining shoes? Picking up peanut shells?
He was clearly talking about being an on-call Chimney Sweep. But you have to know how to sing and dance.

Old 07-27-2017, 05:57 AM   #40
Igotnothing
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I haven't abandoned the thread! I got here Tuesday local time and been busy ever since. This place is pretty great so far. We're staying at my sister's in Camberwell, my mom came as well so some of the sport and pub related ideas are right to pull off. Went by the oval yesterday, a cricket match would be pretty cool. Looks like today is going to be a bit of shopping. I appreciate all the suggestions. Not really sure what I'm looking for to tell you the truth, just kind of taking things as they come but thank you for all the offers of help.
Igotnothing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Igotnothing For This Useful Post: