Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-04-2017, 12:54 PM   #1
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Question Trolling motors for boating..

As it's going to be 30+ degrees this weekend, I've decided to go camping out at the lake. We usually hang around shore, or paddle around near it, but this time I wanted to get out and explore the waters a bit. I got me an Intex Seahawk and was looking at investing in a trolling motor to mount to it to get us around for future trips (maybe on a kayak too), as it is not the easiest thing to paddle around in choppy water.

Wondering if any CPers (fishers, likely) had advice for what brand/type of motor to get, and what has worked for them (lbs of thrust?) based on their boat size, to effectively get around.

It's only a 9 foot boat, and will be carrying two adults and gear. Bass Pro Shops has a deal on a 30lb/30" Prowler transom motor for a hundred bucks. But I heard the 30lb doesn't have a lot of power. Should I invest in a 40-50 lb motor for $100 more or would a 30 suffice?

Since I'd have to get the mount, marine battery and battery case as well, I'm not too keen on spending a lot on the motor itself, unless I must.

Any deals you've found out there for a better motor (or batteries)? Do help this newbie out.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 02:12 PM   #2
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Years ago I looked into this for my canoe and it became such a hassle I decided to just go with a little 2.5 HP gas motor instead. Got a 4 stroke so I don't need to mix the fuel, one tank lasts me a week of trolling around, zero complaints and only great fishing.

Those little motors are whisper quiet, so nice out on the lake.
Old 07-04-2017, 05:13 PM   #3
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Honda has a nice 2.3 HP motor. Fuel tank built in. Great little marine engine.

http://marine.honda.ca/portables/BF2_3

Little more then $100 though, although its all you'd have to buy. No batteries or extra mount needed
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stang For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2017, 06:41 PM   #4
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

So you are trolling the cp collective for ideas?
Old 07-04-2017, 06:53 PM   #5
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

So weird. I was just looking into this last night.
We have a Seahawk 4 and while Googling this exact subject, and found this:
http://www.cabelas.ca/product/26608?...FQctaQodCOkDUQ
Check the 1st comment to see the mod he did to it. I thought it was cool. Not floating down the bow cool, but still cool.

Back to the motor: I'm not sure what model of the Seahawk you have, but I'd check to see what the max motor weight is. Mine says I can only do a max of 18lbs. Can you even get a motor that light that will still push the boat with 2 adults?
I'm not boat savvy and don't know if it really makes a difference anyway and was just going to go to Cabellas to ask. Glad you posted this though.

TL;DR: my post is pretty much useless, but the mod in the link above looked fun.
JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JonDuke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2017, 07:15 PM   #6
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

From what I understand, this is the preferred method of troll propulsion.

pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 07:20 PM   #7
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to taco.vidal For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2017, 07:31 PM   #8
calgarygringo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Get a Minn Kota. At least if it breaks Minn Kota warranty is done locally you won't have to send something back to Hong Kong.
calgarygringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 09:39 AM   #9
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygringo View Post
Get a Minn Kota. At least if it breaks Minn Kota warranty is done locally you won't have to send something back to Hong Kong.
Yep, the more research I do into the various options, the more Minn Kota appears to be the best of the bunch in terms of reliability and a relatively painless fix when needed. Sounds like the price of those is worth it.

I really want to get an outboard like Stang suggested, but I don't have the extra grand in cash to blow on that at the moment. Otherwise I would. Definitely for next summer.

To the other poster, it's a Seahawk 3. I believe it says it supports a 1.5hp motor. Which I'm guessing that means 1.5hp outboard (since TMs put out a fraction of 1hp). I haven't read a weight limit for the motor anywhere. Some of the trolling motors you can get weigh about 20-25 lbs which isn't bad. There are plenty of youtube vids of people using them on the back of their inflatables without any apparent weight issues. It does pull the back of the boat down when going at higher speeds though so I suppose having some weight in the front of the boat to counter that would be good to have.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post: