Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-04-2017, 08:41 AM   #1
rooster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default Omar F*****G Khadr is getting $10.5 milion

Nice job Trudeau, Make a terrorist POS into a multimillionaire off the back of Canadian taxpayers. How the hell can this be protested??
rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 08:51 AM   #2
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had to go look that up:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/khad...ment-1.4189146

True news. He left Canada to go fight in a holy war. Was convicted of murder, spent time in prison, and is now being paid.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 08:54 AM   #3
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster View Post
Nice job Trudeau, Make a terrorist POS into a multimillionaire off the back of Canadian taxpayers. How the hell can this be protested??
Guess we know one of roosters triggers... such a snowflake.

Regardless here's a lesson to future and present governments courtesy of the Harper government... If you don't want to pay people settlements, don't violate their rights.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 08:54 AM   #4
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster View Post
Because even bad guys have rights, and they were violated by both Canadian and American officials, alas.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 08:55 AM   #5
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

From the article:

After his 2015 release from prison in Alberta, Omar Khadr apologized to the families of the victims. He said he rejects violent jihad and wants a fresh start to finish his education and work in health care.

Doesn't look like he needs to work anymore. Papa Canada is giving him a nice "graduation" present.

Let me just add that he should be donating every cent of that to the victim's families.

Last edited by Ozy_Flame; 07-04-2017 at 08:58 AM.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2017, 08:58 AM   #6
takinghits
Draft Pick

https://ricochet.media/en/1405/30-wa...led-omar-khadr
takinghits is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to takinghits For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2017, 09:01 AM   #7
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Because even bad guys have rights, and they were violated by both Canadian and American officials, alas.
Someone will have to remind me what rights were violated by Canadian officials.
Old 07-04-2017, 09:06 AM   #8
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...rs_rights.html

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...urt_rules.html
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 09:13 AM   #9
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by takinghits View Post
A lot of that article is predicated on Kadr having protection under the Geneva Convention. He was an unlawful combatant.

Look, I'm glad that Kadr has seemingly changed, though he still visits that disgusting family of his.

I would expect that he won't have that money for long, the widow of the man that Kadr murdered, will probably file a lawsuit against him.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2017, 09:13 AM   #10
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I had to go look that up:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/khad...ment-1.4189146

True news. He left Canada to go fight in a holy war. Was convicted of murder, spent time in prison, and is now being paid.
He didn't leave Canada to fight in a holy war, he left Canada because he was a child with his family. He was 10 years old when his family moved to Afghanistan. There, because of his ######bag father, he became a child soldier.

He didn't just spend time in prison. He was tortured. He was sleep deprived for a month. He was denied basic rights like a washroom, he was beaten and injured, and denied medical services. It's alleged that he's near blind today because he didn't receive medical treatment he would have had he cooperated with his interrogators.

I'm not going to lose sleep over what the guy went through, but the Canadian government dropped the ball by knowingly allowing a Canadian citizen to be tortured and his rights denied. It's worse because he was a child soldier.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 09:14 AM   #11
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
A lot of that article is predicated on Kadr having protection under the Geneva Convention. He was an unlawful combatant.

Look, I'm glad that Kadr has seemingly changed, though he still visits that disgusting family of his.

I would expect that he won't have that money for long, the widow of the man that Kadr murdered, will probably file a lawsuit against him.
Already has, for $134 million back in 2014 I believe.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 09:16 AM   #12
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
She's already won one, I believe. For a ton. Just not much chance of getting it as it was a USA court.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 09:18 AM   #13
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
It's stated in the article you posted.

The Supreme Court of Canada ruled in 2010 that Canadian intelligence officials obtained evidence from Khadr under "oppressive circumstances," such as sleep deprivation, during interrogations at Guantanamo Bay in 2003, and then shared that evidence with U.S. officials.
Old 07-04-2017, 09:22 AM   #14
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Already has, for $134 million back in 2014 I believe.
Supposedly that judgement is still in place, just reading up on it.

Quote:
Sgt. Layne Morris and Sgt. Speer's widow Tabitha, both represented by Donald Winder,[165] filed a civil suit against the estate of Ahmed Khadr, claiming that the father's failure to control his son resulted in the loss of Speer's life and Morris's right eye. Since United States law does not allow civil lawsuits against "acts of war", Speer and Morris relied on the argument that Khadr's throwing the grenade was an act of terrorism, rather than war. In February 2006, Utah District Court Judge Paul Cassell awarded the plaintiffs $102.6 million in damages, approximately $94 million to Speer and $8 million to Morris.[166] He said it likely marks the first time terrorist acts have resulted in civil liabilities.[167] It has been suggested that the plaintiffs might collect funds via the U.S. Terrorism Risk Insurance Act,[168] but the Federal government is not bound by civil rulings, and it has refused to release Khadr's frozen assets.[169]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omar_Khadr

I would expect that Speer and Morris will be coming for that money.

Old 07-04-2017, 09:25 AM   #15
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

That would be an interesting case. I wonder if a Canadian court would choose to uphold an American judgement like that.
Old 07-04-2017, 09:30 AM   #16
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

What are the possibilities of Speer and morris, filing a new lawsuit in a canadian court.

I mean they have the guilty plea, and the taped gloating confession by Kadr.

Old 07-04-2017, 09:36 AM   #17
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
What are the possibilities of Speer and morris, filing a new lawsuit in a canadian court.

I mean they have the guilty plea, and the taped gloating confession by Kadr.
The guilty plea is tainted as the SCOC already basically said he was tortured into it. I would imagine they would have to rely on any sort of reciprocation treaty Canada and the US has for honouring civil judgments. No idea what framework (if any) exists in that regard though.
Old 07-04-2017, 09:38 AM   #18
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
If you don't want to pay people settlements, don't violate their rights.
Bingo. How does this get hanged on Trudeau? It wasn't him or his government that created the liability in the first place.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2017, 09:40 AM   #19
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
It's stated in the article you posted.

The Supreme Court of Canada ruled in 2010 that Canadian intelligence officials obtained evidence from Khadr under "oppressive circumstances," such as sleep deprivation, during interrogations at Guantanamo Bay in 2003, and then shared that evidence with U.S. officials.
I suppose so, but in my judgement, it's the Americans who mistreated their prisoner and the Canadians aren't culpable. I assume CSIS sharing information with American counterparts is pretty standard practice, especially during times of war. I'm no lawyer though.

I didn't follow this story back in the day, so I was unaware that it was his deadbeat dad who dragged his ass to Afghanistan to fight. I thought he was one of those young men who simply ran off to wage holy war, and for those types I have no sympathy.

If interrogation and sharing information is a violation of rights worth $10.5 million, what is torture and imprisonment worth? The Canadians did not physically harm him.
Old 07-04-2017, 10:05 AM   #20
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Bingo. How does this get hanged on Trudeau? It wasn't him or his government that created the liability in the first place.
Because when it comes to politics sometimes people choose to overlook little details like that.
iggy_oi is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to iggy_oi For This Useful Post: