Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2017, 10:45 AM   #201
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The news report I saw also said his wife was on the flight but in a separate row. Were they planning on letting her stay on the flight or something?
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 10:48 AM   #202
hummdeedoo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Lol

Makes perfect sense this would happen in the age of Trump - Master of passing the buck.
Old 04-11-2017, 10:54 AM   #203
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummdeedoo View Post
Makes perfect sense this would happen in the age of Trump - Master of passing the buck.
Well, if they are going to go there they were at least consistent with going after the visible minority as well.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 11:09 AM   #204
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RougeUnderoos View Post
Or, some people could just not get on. Like the United employees who needed a ride.

There is literally no good spin or excuse United can have for this one. They 100% effed up and are now paying the price.
I'm not defending United. They clearly messed up. As far as the United employees getting on well that's simply not something the passengers would be aware of so I don't think you can use that as defense of the behavior. Just because the airline wronged doesn't give an adult the right to act like a child kicking and screaming his way off the plane.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2017, 11:12 AM   #205
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie View Post
They needed to up the compensation as the $800 "final offer" is pretty standard even if you are only getting bumped a couple hours.
My point is... why up the offer beyond your final when you can legally ask people to leave at the final? Seems like that's a DOT problem, because I guarantee that Delta and American have capped their comp offer and involuntarily bumped people post-board. From my perspective, the problem is then physically assaulting them, because the overall situation is by no means unique to United.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie View Post
The crew being shuttled weren't actually United crew (I think). They were ExpressJet crew who likely were to be operating a flight for United but they weren't actual united crew. Doesn't really mean anything just that I thought it was a bit interesting.
More importantly the plane itself was not United, but a completely separate entity whose employees' paystubs say United nowhere on them, but that seems to not matter at all either.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 11:16 AM   #206
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

I'm curious as to what the Venn diagram of those who advocate that he should have gotten off with dignity and those that whined incessantly about the shutdown of the YLYL thread looks like.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 11:26 AM   #207
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
I'm curious as to what the Venn diagram of those who advocate that he should have gotten off with dignity and those that whined incessantly about the shutdown of the YLYL thread looks like.
Who cares? If every adult that was dealt a curveball in life acted like this man, civilization would be in chaos.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 11:26 AM   #208
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
Not sure of the connection.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 11:33 AM   #209
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would love to see a Venn diagram showing those who feel the passenger should have resisted despite breaking federal law and those who were glad when "occupy" protesters were pepper sprayed and dragged away despite challenging actual meaningful social issues.

United certainly shouldn't have let people board until the issue was sorted out, but once selected for being bumped, "Dr. Feelgood" had no right to resist. It's also hard to tell from the video exactly how he was injured. If all they did was touch him and he started flailing, that would be partially on him.

There was no blood in the video that I could see. The bloody photo was from a couple of hours later (I think).
Old 04-11-2017, 11:37 AM   #210
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delgar View Post
So the good doctor who was beaten off the plane both had his medical license suspended for over-prescribing drugs, and while suspended came second in a WSOP event.
So, a drug dealer with a PhD.
Old 04-11-2017, 11:39 AM   #211
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Doug Haller‏Verified account
@DougHaller
Attendant on my Southwest flight tells passengers: "We're going to need four passengers ... just kidding."
https://twitter.com/DougHaller/statu...21438587740160
Old 04-11-2017, 11:40 AM   #212
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Regulator75 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2017, 11:46 AM   #213
Zevo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Third time's the charm^
Zevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 11:46 AM   #214
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zevo View Post
Third time's the charm^
I thought for a second I was in the Funny and cool picture thread.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2017, 11:48 AM   #215
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I would love to see a Venn diagram showing those who feel the passenger should have resisted despite breaking federal law and those who were glad when "occupy" protesters were pepper sprayed and dragged away despite challenging actual meaningful social issues.

United certainly shouldn't have let people board until the issue was sorted out, but once selected for being bumped, "Dr. Feelgood" had no right to resist. It's also hard to tell from the video exactly how he was injured. If all they did was touch him and he started flailing, that would be partially on him.

There was no blood in the video that I could see. The bloody photo was from a couple of hours later (I think).
There's another video when he ran back onto the plane and there was quite a bit of blood around his mouth.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 11:48 AM   #216
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

It happens a lot in the politics thread as well. Who has time to go back 40-100 posts in this day and age?
Old 04-11-2017, 11:57 AM   #217
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
There's another video when he ran back onto the plane and there was quite a bit of blood around his mouth.
But what was the time frame in between? It sounds like there was a lot time between.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:03 PM   #218
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Who cares? If every adult that was dealt a curveball in life acted like this man, civilization would be in chaos.
This is "blaming the victim" logic and it is wrong. We know nothing about this passenger's mental condition, personal condition, health condition, state of mind etc. He did nothing wrong. He had a ticket to the flight, boarded the plane as instructed and was challenged to leave for absolutely no good reason. The four United employees did not have tickets. How can anyone blame or even simply question this guy's reaction or behaviour?

There was nothing right about what United has done in the situation, zero. Let's recap:

1. United screwed up scheduling their own crew that needed to be rushed to another airport.
  2. United placed them on the fully-booked flight.
  3. United favoured four of their own employees bumping paid customers.
  4. United severely low-balled the offer to volunteers in the waiting area starting at $400 instead of the government-approved maximum of $1,350 and easily averting the consequences.
  5. United allowed all passengers to board the plane.
  6. United put passengers in stress of worrying about being bumped and even then did not offer the maximum compensation amount, when it was clear that nobody wanted to volunteer.
  7. United then brought in police/security guards to forcibly remove and physically harm the passenger who was clearly in distress about it.
  8. United's reaction was horrible all together. Instead of apologizing unconditionally for this disaster, the CEO did not even apologize to the passenger.
Why is anyone questioning this poor man's reaction?
Old 04-11-2017, 12:04 PM   #219
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think we all know what would have really de-escalated this entire thing, and would have had everyone holding hands and singing Kumbayah and hugging.

Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 12:07 PM   #220
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
This is "blaming the victim" logic and it is wrong. We know nothing about this passenger's mental condition, personal condition, health condition, state of mind etc. He did nothing wrong. He had a ticket to the flight, boarded the plane as instructed and was challenged to leave for absolutely no good reason. The four United employees did not have tickets. How can anyone blame or even simply question this guy's reaction or behaviour?

There was nothing right about what United has done in the situation, zero. Let's recap:

1. United screwed up scheduling their own crew that needed to be rushed to another airport.
  2. United placed them on the fully-booked flight.
  3. United favoured four of their own employees bumping paid customers.
  4. United severely low-balled the offer to volunteers in the waiting area starting at $400 instead of the government-approved maximum of $1,350 and easily averting the consequences.
  5. United allowed all passengers to board the plane.
  6. United put passengers in stress of worrying about being bumped and even then did not offer the maximum compensation amount, when it was clear that nobody wanted to volunteer.
  7. United then brought in police/security guards to forcibly remove and physically harm the passenger who was clearly in distress about it.
  8. United's reaction was horrible all together. Instead of apologizing unconditionally for this disaster, the CEO did not even apologize to the passenger.
Why is anyone questioning this poor man's reaction?

This poor man, won't someone think of him.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote