Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-15-2016, 03:37 PM   #41
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

I spent 8 weeks in Turkey the fall of Sept and Oct 2015. Our guide was really worried about his country and saw it quickly going backwards. It was the impression of our guide that Turkey was becoming more religious due to the influence of the devout Arabic wife of Erdogen.

I felt no danger whatsoever while I travelled...however, attacks were just starting. We had been in Ankara just 2 days before the bombing there. I certainly would not entertain the thought of touring in Turkey right now

There is a real dichotomy in that country. On one hand, those who I would classify as descending from the Ottomans were not religious at all, in fact our guide and his whole family were atheists. They were well educated and what I would call very modern and westernized.

On the other hand, the population that is Arabic does not embrace either modernization or westernization of their country. In fact, they want to pull back and be even more devoted to their religion.

Gambling was forbidden...not necessarily a bad thing. Liquor was available readily...lots of stores on most streets...but it was taxed so heavily that one glass of wine would cost more than your entire meal.

Jobs and advancement were favored to those men whose wives wore the scarf.

There was an incident in Istanbul where a young girl was bullied off a bus because her friends wanted her to wear a scarf and she chose not to.

We met a young girl...maybe 16 to 18... in the more rural SE part of Turkey. Her father would not let her continue school past Grade 8. She was herding a few cows, had never travelled more than 50 km from home, and in all likelihood, would be married off soon.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to redforever For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2016, 03:39 PM   #42
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is early speculating on what this means, but it could be an extremely positive move in reestablishing and protecting Turkey as a secular state.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barnet Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2016, 03:41 PM   #43
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Erdogan speaking on FaceTime lol. Welcome to 21st century coups.[/IMG]
Coups, replacing the Oilers HR department, is there anything FaceTime can't do?
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 03:57 PM   #44
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
Didn't he just sue half the German MPs for insulting him? Hah!
Hope Germany tells him to pound sand. Erdogan was trying to get buddy buddy with Putin lately, maybe he can retire in a Siberian gulag.
Zulu29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 03:57 PM   #45
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redforever View Post
I spent 8 weeks in Turkey the fall of Sept and Oct 2015. Our guide was really worried about his country and saw it quickly going backwards. It was the impression of our guide that Turkey was becoming more religious due to the influence of the devout Arabic wife of Erdogen.

I felt no danger whatsoever while I travelled...however, attacks were just starting. We had been in Ankara just 2 days before the bombing there. I certainly would not entertain the thought of touring in Turkey right now

There is a real dichotomy in that country. On one hand, those who I would classify as descending from the Ottomans were not religious at all, in fact our guide and his whole family were atheists. They were well educated and what I would call very modern and westernized.

On the other hand, the population that is Arabic does not embrace either modernization or westernization of their country. In fact, they want to pull back and be even more devoted to their religion.

Gambling was forbidden...not necessarily a bad thing. Liquor was available readily...lots of stores on most streets...but it was taxed so heavily that one glass of wine would cost more than your entire meal.

Jobs and advancement were favored to those men whose wives wore the scarf.

There was an incident in Istanbul where a young girl was bullied off a bus because her friends wanted her to wear a scarf and she chose not to.

We met a young girl...maybe 16 to 18... in the more rural SE part of Turkey. Her father would not let her continue school past Grade 8. She was herding a few cows, had never travelled more than 50 km from home, and in all likelihood, would be married off soon.
Arabs in Turkey make up less than 3% of the population. Not sure which group you are really referring to.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to _Q_ For This Useful Post:
JD
Old 07-15-2016, 03:58 PM   #46
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Germany says no to Erdogan, quickly prompting the most overused joke in history: "Merkel finally found a refugee she wouldn't take".
Old 07-15-2016, 04:48 PM   #47
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu29 View Post
Hope Germany tells him to pound sand. Erdogan was trying to get buddy buddy with Putin lately, maybe he can retire in a Siberian gulag.
Apparently he's flying to London now hah! Given Boris Johnson, the new head of foreign relations, called him a goat#####er back in May, I think we know what the response will be
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...ophobic-gaffes

Last edited by FlameOn; 07-15-2016 at 04:50 PM.
FlameOn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 04:55 PM   #48
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bbc world news showing a stand off on the bridge, huge volleys of periodic gunfire.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 04:55 PM   #49
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Zero security at Istanbul Airport now and people are just free to go wherever they want, including randomly walking around the tarmac and doing whatever they want to the airplanes. That ain't good.

Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 05:23 PM   #50
sharkov
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Erdogan speaking on FaceTime lol. Welcome to 21st century coups.

If hes only able to communicate to the public using a smartphone, that really says something about the situation hes in
sharkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 05:28 PM   #51
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkov View Post
If hes only able to communicate to the public using a smartphone, that really says something about the situation hes in
Apparently he was on vacation away from any official media outlet. I am not sure if the coup will be successful, military seems to be fractured as well with some units not joining and an airforce fighter that has apparently shot down an army chopper. One general is calling all troops back to their barracks.

Hopefully the coup is successful, there needs to be change to fix the current Erdogan situation and he has rigged the elections so badly that it seems unlikely to happen democratically. Just a matter of how much bloodshed there is when the dust settles from all of this.
Old 07-15-2016, 05:40 PM   #52
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 05:42 PM   #53
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Turkey is such a fractured country which has surprisingly been stable for quite some time but it isn't surprising to see things boil over and get out of control. I think this will be the conflict that divides Turkey into two distinct nations. I am interested to see how Russia and Syria react to this and if/when the Americans step in. This could be the start of something big.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 05:50 PM   #54
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some pretty riveting live scenes on CNN a few moments ago. A huge crowd approached a bunch of tanks and the soldiers and people were arguing.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 05:52 PM   #55
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

yeah, this coup doesn't appear to be going well
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 05:52 PM   #56
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

National Assembly building bombed from the air.
https://twitter.com/thevocaleurope/s...98684548309000
Old 07-15-2016, 06:03 PM   #57
longsuffering
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redforever View Post
You spent 8 weeks in Turkey???!!! You must be an expert.

Turks aren't Arabs, Arabs aren't Turks. Your post loses a lot of credibility if you don't understand that basic concept.
longsuffering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 06:06 PM   #58
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Arabs form 2.5% of the population in Turkey.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arabs_in_Turkey
Old 07-15-2016, 06:09 PM   #59
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I assume he wrote Arabic instead of Islamic. Odd mistake, but swapping those two words makes the post make a lot more sense.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2016, 06:15 PM   #60
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

That was how I read it as well nik.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote