Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-22-2014, 10:14 AM   #41
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Gee, a lot of people with sleep apnea.

Where do you guys order your replacement parts?

Sleep apnea for men has become like fibromyalgia for women.

cpapclinic.ca
Old 12-21-2014, 11:05 AM   #42
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

does Alberta Health Care cover any of this?

Do I need a referral from a regular doctor to get tested?

I'm utterly exhausted these days and even after (allegedly) sleeping 10 hours last night I wake up feeling like i never even went to bed.

Last edited by killer_carlson; 12-21-2014 at 11:29 AM.
killer_carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 11:36 AM   #43
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
does Alberta Health Care cover any of this?
Don't think so, at least not for the hardware. Some Blue Cross plans cover it, not all.

Quote:
Do I need a referral from a regular doctor to get tested?
I think technically a doctor needs to be involved but if you call a sleep clinic like Rana they take care of everything.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 03:32 PM   #44
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Aha covers the visits to the sleep drt. After that you need private insurance, such as an employer sponsored plan to cover the costs.

You will need a sleep test -$200 for the at home one and $800 to spent the night in the lab.

After that you get the machine of the dental mouthpiece - the machine is about $2,000 for the unit and the piece that fits over your nose of mouth.

The dental mouth guard is $3,000'ish.

I have had my machine for almost two months now, and wow, what a difference. I feel much better. It takes some getting used too, but I doubt I could sleep without now.....
Old 12-21-2014, 03:36 PM   #45
ExiledFlamesFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post

I have had my machine for almost two months now, and wow, what a difference. I feel much better. It takes some getting used too, but I doubt I could sleep without now.....
Great to hear everything has worked out for you.
ExiledFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 05:58 PM   #46
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is there a recommendation which test is better? The one in the home or the one at the clinic?

Just off the cuff, the one at home might see me screw up how the equipment works, but is more likely to be how I sleep on a day to day basis; conversely the one at the shop might see the equipment done right, but not as close to what I do on a nightly basis.

I'm all ears. I'm going to look into this over the holidays and schedule something.
Old 12-21-2014, 06:11 PM   #47
ExiledFlamesFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Is there a recommendation which test is better? The one in the home or the one at the clinic?

Just off the cuff, the one at home might see me screw up how the equipment works, but is more likely to be how I sleep on a day to day basis; conversely the one at the shop might see the equipment done right, but not as close to what I do on a nightly basis.

I'm all ears. I'm going to look into this over the holidays and schedule something.
Level 1 sleep studies are the best. These are done at foothills but the wait time was many months last time I checked. These are the tests in which you are monitored while you sleep in the hospital and tons of parameters are monitored. Apparently there are also two private level 1 sleep clinics in Calgary but I'm not sure where they are.

A level 3 study is one that you take home and wear while you sleep. They are much more basic, only monitoring a few parameters, but you are sleeping in your own bed.

The basic take home test is fine to start, if things look really bad then your family doc could refer you to the foothills overnight test after.

Send me a pm and I'll tell you which respiratory companies to avoid and which I recommend. I've got friends working at many of these companies.
ExiledFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ExiledFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2014, 06:29 PM   #48
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Some people will never be able to sleep in a hospital or clinic setting. My husband was one of those.

It is far better to at least get tested one way or another just to find out if in fact you do have sleep apnea. Not only should you find out if you have sleep apnea, you should find out which kind you have as there are at least two kinds (obstructive and central) and they are treated differently.

Many might try to shrug sleep apnea off as a major inconvenience that mainly affects your sleep patterns. But it can affect a lot more...like your blood pressure, your heart, your awareness through the day...and of course, your sleep. Sleep apnea really should be taken seriously.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 07:12 PM   #49
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

The Centre for Sleep and Human Performance (www.centreforsleep.com) is great. You can self refer, which means you save the step of going to a doctor for a referral. They have two bedrooms at the Sundance clinic that you can sleep in for your overnight test. It feels more like you're staying in a nice guest room versus a hospital bed. On top of that, the doctor will give you a sleeping pill if you are concerned about not being able to sleep in such a weird environment.

By the way, check Kijiji for cpap machines. There are a lot of basically brand new ones. Just buy a new mask and hose and you are good to go.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 08:31 PM   #50
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ I did my sleep test thru the above clinic......everything worked out fine.
Old 12-21-2014, 09:36 PM   #51
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The dental mouth guard is $3,000'ish.
What mouth guard? I never got one of those.

I have the machine and mask and sleep like a baby now. I'm loving it.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 12:47 AM   #52
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ you can go and see a sleep dentist and get a special mouth guard....pulls your jaw forward. The sample one I saw looked like quite the device.....
Old 12-22-2014, 08:57 AM   #53
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
^ you can go and see a sleep dentist and get a special mouth guard....pulls your jaw forward. The sample one I saw looked like quite the device.....
Those will work for obstructive sleep apnea but not for central sleep apnea.

And not all who have obstructive sleep apnea need the mouth guard either.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 12:53 PM   #54
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i was thinking that the mouthguard would be a nice alternative while travelling instead of lugging around the machine......
Old 01-17-2015, 04:34 PM   #55
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

For those who have used a CPAP machine..... I got a trial this week and have tried it the last three nights without success. I'm using the nose attachment not a full mask, and while I can inhale just fine there is a enough resistance to exhaling that it feels like I need to force myself to breathe. The few times I've gotten to the edge of sleep I've actually stopped breathing. Needless to say after half an hour I give up.

I haven't had a chance to talk to my provider yet, but has anyone else had this problem? Does the full mask work better?
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 06:55 PM   #56
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

What machine do you have? I had the same issue, and had to get a different one that had the option to reduce the pressure when I was exhaling. It's called A-flex, but I've also hear it called bilevel.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 07:41 PM   #57
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some machines have an adjustment knob, I know my Phillips respire ices unit has.

Any chance you are a mouth breather?
Old 03-18-2015, 11:39 AM   #58
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Time for a new machine for me. I'm coming up dry on Kijiji right now. Can get a Resmed 10 for $1000 online. Is there anywhere else I should shop? I'm not covered at all by any plans for this, so the Calgary clinics may be out as they tend to be fairly pricey.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 11:44 AM   #59
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Time for a new machine for me. I'm coming up dry on Kijiji right now. Can get a Resmed 10 for $1000 online. Is there anywhere else I should shop? I'm not covered at all by any plans for this, so the Calgary clinics may be out as they tend to be fairly pricey.
Having just gone through this - it's quite stunning to see masks that are selling for $160 online priced at $350 locally. I call it the "hey insurance is paying for this anyways so why not charge the max" philosophy.

Like an autobody shop, if you tell them it's a non benefit purchase sometimes the local guys will bend on price.

Just got the Resmed10 - it's super easy to use. Call it the Apple of the CPAP world...
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2015, 12:32 PM   #60
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
For those who have used a CPAP machine..... I got a trial this week and have tried it the last three nights without success. I'm using the nose attachment not a full mask, and while I can inhale just fine there is a enough resistance to exhaling that it feels like I need to force myself to breathe. The few times I've gotten to the edge of sleep I've actually stopped breathing. Needless to say after half an hour I give up.

I haven't had a chance to talk to my provider yet, but has anyone else had this problem? Does the full mask work better?
Sorry to have missed this at the time. I had a trial of just the nose but felt I had to keep my mouth clenched. I did not like it. Went to the full mask and I have liked that way better. The last three nights I have kept it on all night and woke up in the morning with it on.
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote